Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by rsa.313 View Post
    i know that the Cadillac Center station was planned to be a part of the Farbman Mall downtown that would've connected Hudson's and Crowley's, and instigated the demolition of the Kern's block. Obviously, by the time of construction, the entire plan fell through, but the name and location of the station remained.

Two other neat clips in the video are the Hudson's sign on the tower, which was not removed until Hudson's completely vacated the building in 1990, and the Landsdowne ferry restaurant moored by Cobo.

Thanks for the share; this is more the Detroit of my childhood.
    Tell me more about the Farbman Mall complex. I never heard about this but I do remember hearing something about the Kern block demolition. I have the Free Press saved the day after Hudson's was imploded and I remember someone was quoted as being skeptical that the demolition would allow the city to proceed forward with a new development. Something like "when the Kern Block was demolished, something spectacular was supposed to go up but nothing ever happened."
    I've always wondered why that stop on the people mover is called Cadillac Center. There's no street by that name and Cadillac Place is blocks away. And yeah, I did notice the Hudson's sign in the 1987 video was still there. I'm old enough to remember the building vacant but not with the sign.

In the 1987 video, you can't really see but what would have been at the site of the Crowley building/compuware parking garage at that time?

DetroitPlanner, do you know the name of the red book you were referring to?
    Last edited by Knightmessenger; January-31-13 at 12:59 AM.