Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
I've been out to Livonia [[grandmother-in-law lives there) and haven't had any issues but that's like 3-4 times so not enough to draw conclusions.

But the south is pretty bad. I spent my whole life down there [[lived in Texas and Virginia and spent quite a bit of time in Bama and Louisiana), except for the past three years in which I lived in Chicago. People will be nice to your face, but there is a way of doing things. The black population is what, a third of the southern population, so there's more interaction between whites and blacks and you aren't going to get dirty looks. Like I said, the best way to put it is it's less confrontational down there [[part of that is that Midwesterners are way more frank than I'm used to)...but there's way more under the surface if you stay a while - part of that is, in my opinion, minorities as a whole are more submissive as a collective because things have just been a certain way for so long, way back to the antebellum days. It's just in our culture. It really irks my husband [[Michigander) when we go back to visit - especially for SEC games in Bama and Mississippi. He hates it. Shit, in Detroit, you bust up an after-hours bar and you get a four day riot that necessitates the National Guard. Down south, a hundred years of post-slavery oppression, blown up churches, and dogs & waterhoses eventually gets you sit-ins.

I feel a million times more comfortable here in Michigan, as a whole, although I'm sure it has its bad parts. That's just my own personal experience.
I have relatives in the deep south. There is no place on earth I loathe more. "Southern hospitality" is no more than southern hypocrisy. For as fucking insane religious as they are down there "love thy neighbor" largely does not apply to blacks, Yankees, or gays.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/12/1...ewtown-speech/

The only good thing about the south is New Orleans, and they're a bunch of heathen drunk Catholics and Creoles.