DPS DOES still teach these skills....to a few students in a program through the Randolph Technical School. See this link for the work the students are doing at Historic Fort Wayne: http://www.mhpn.org/?page_id=138

I hope that whatever development fills this space makes sure to return the street grid to this area. Alfred Street and Division Street should run all the way across to the I-75 service drive...NO MORE SUPERBLOCKS!
Could not have said it better myself. Both Gardenview and Woodbridge estates have accomplished this, at least in part. Relaying a grid pattern across this part of the city will openup accessibility and make it less confusing. And for the record, I hope they are able to preserve the library, especially if everything else is leveled.

Since the high-rises have been effectively rehabbed and reused at Woodbridge Estates, it's too bad the city is not making an effort to reuse the shells of the highrises at Brewster-Douglass. They could be surrounded with a mix of lower-to mid-rise residential. The sheer volume of rubble which will go into landfills that doesn't have to if at least some of the structures are reused is staggering.