Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Sorry, when religious groups preach hate based on their religion, I feel totally free to belittle them. When they insist on imposing their dogma on the public sphere - whether it is the ten commandments in courthouses, teaching creationism as science, or anything else, I will feel justified in mocking them. Any time they seek to impose their superstitious views on me or society, I will feel the duty to stand up against them.
    So match hate with hate?
    This is essentially the anti-gay marriage version of "separate but equal"
    So go after the term Marraige at all costs, even if it means head to head combat with religion for even more future decades? That's going to take a long time.
    The MAIN thing being denied are things like the right to visit their spouse in the hospital, legal protection of the spouses' interests in each other's estates, parental rights, etc.
    This stuff still goes on? Sorry to hear that. Maybe some of our do-nothing Government will do something about this... and soon. One would think in modern America some common sense would come into play with these issues and it wouldn't require an act of Congress or the President to fix it....

About my "Executive Order" angle, Here's an interesting fact:
    THE EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION THAT FREED U.S. SLAVES WAS AN EXECUTIVE ORDER!! It was never passed by Congress.
    The Emancipation Proclamation is an executive order issued by United States President Abraham Lincoln on January 1, 1863, during the American Civil War using his war powers. It was not a law passed by Congress. It proclaimed the freedom of slaves in the ten states then in rebellion, thus applying to 3.1 million of the 4 million slaves in the U.S. at that time. The Proclamation immediately freed 50,000 slaves, with nearly all the rest [[of the 3.1 million) freed as Union armies advanced.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emancipation_Proclamation
    You would think if Abraham Lincoln could free millions of slaves, and Barack Obama could grant a form of amnesty to 800,000 people by using Executive Orders,[[ http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/15/politi...ion/index.html )
    then granting equal rights to same-sex couples though an Executive Order should be a no-brainer.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think it can be done. And I'd like to see it done before Obama is out of office, because if Romney wins, there's no way he's going to do it.
    Last edited by Papasito; August-07-12 at 09:07 AM.