Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
The dollar is up against other currencies over the last week but down for the day the last I noticed. So what? How does that contradict anything you are responding to?
Simple -- Forbes claims the weak dollar is causing the rise in oil prices, when the dollar is, in fact, not weak. Ergo, the analysis is not only wrong, but based on a faulty premise. Further, the dollar is up against gold as we speak, and has been relatively stable for quite a while.
http://www.thestreet.com/story/11432...rengthens.html

In the last two months West Texas oil has gone up from about $99 to $109; about 10%.
The price of gold has gone up from about $1,600 to $1780; about 11%.

If US currency were still backed by gold, the price of oil would have declined 1% in the last two months.
Yet again, you are spouting something for which there is absolutely ZERO evidence. We are, my friend, in a gold bubble, just as we were in a housing bubble in the mid 2000s. It is being held up by one thing -- massive advertising by the gold brokers riding the Greater Fool Theory. Bought my gold 8 years ago, not selling, don't have my finger on the trigger,but I do have the safety off. It is up for the year, but still around $200 off the record high. What is triggering the oil price increases? Oh, the usual culprits - increased demand in Asia, sabre rattling by Iran [[and Rep. candidates) and, of course [[as is usually the case) rampant speculation