Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

When my father returned from WWII in 1946 he bought a house on Conner south of E. Jefferson. I lived there until 1968 when I got married and moved two streets over on Clairpointe the house my husband grew up in. At that time they were building an apartment complex in Lafayette Park and we moved there in 1970. The complex is still very well kept and looks exactly like it did when we moved there. When my parents died last year the house on Conner became mine and I purchased the empty lot next door and donated the property to Habitat for Humanities. A new house is there along with a number of other new houses. The community has gone through a number of changes especially following the riots of '67. It looks like it's trying to make a comback however it will never be the same as I remembered. There are still quite a few burned down boarded up houses on the street. Hopefully they will be torn down and replaced by new houses.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; December-24-11 at 05:09 PM.