Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
The Original poster is moving his family to the other side of the world. He is already taking on a huge amount of risk. The man is expecting a European city. Detroit is nowhere near functional enough to come close to his expectations. The inner ring suburbs are the closest thing the metro region has to what he's looking for.

If he were coming alone I would wish him the best of luck with his choices. Bringing his family in is a completely different story. There is a reason 99% of the hipster move out of the city as soon as they have kids. They all come in with the best of intentions and then the day to day aggravation takes it's toll. They move back to the suburbs they came from.

As someone who has made a similar move from Europe, I came from the UK, I know he's going to find Detroit severely lacking in the things he needs. What happens if he moves his family to the city and they find they are not safe here. How long do you think he will remain in the country, let alone the city?
Well, I'm sure glad that the engineering company that's offering these high paying jobs and recruiting him had enough faith in the city to open up shop in downtown instead of Troy.

And, I'm sure that a better paying job had a lot to do with his decision to move to another country. I don't know if hipsters are in the same category, i.e, making the kind of money that would motivate someone to move to another country, and that might play a role in why hipsters don't stick around in the city. There is a reward to the risk and I'm sure he's figured that out or he wouldn't be leaving his home country with his family.