Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
Caught at 60 in a 45 is not a speed trap. Just called speeding.

To be a trap, it should be a setup. Either an unreasonable drop in speed limit for the purpose of catching people, or a 'trap' w/ several motor cars waiting for people doing even 1mph over the limit, or perhaps just unreasonable enforcement.

Otherwise, its just called speeding.
Took the words right out of my mouth. On the sympathy side, though, the amount of fines these days simply amazes me. In the sixties, when I was the "bad guy" handing out the tickets, five over was five bucks, ten over was ten bucks, and fifteen over was.....well, you get the picture. Most other moving violations [[red light, improper turn, etc.) were five bucks. Our motivation back then was simply to reduce hazardous driving and accidents. Revenue was the furthest thing from our minds. Of course, the point system was in place even back then, and the big jolt was higher insurance premiums.

But, Royce, I have to agree with Wesley. 60 in a 45 is just asking for an invitation to the courthouse. Watch that speedometer a little closer. A stalled car at the foot of that ramp could have put you in harm"s way real quick at fifteen over.

[[Postscript: I think that entire stretch of Telegraph is in Redford. The boundry is actually a few feet east of the curb line up to Puritan.)