Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Default Previous Tigers President was a A Course In Miracles student

Since most of you like to dismiss A Course In Miracles I found this a little interesting to come across. John Fetzner was one of the early students of ACIM when it started to make it's circuit.

John Earl Fetzer [[March 25, 1901 - February 20, 1991) was a radio and television executive who was best known as the owner of the Detroit Tigers from 1961 through the early 1980s.

In 1956 he bought part ownership in the Tigers and became full owner in 1961. He was active in negotiating broadcast packages for Major League Baseball.
    In the early 1980s he began to divest himself of his business holdings and sold the Tigers to pizza entrepreneur Tom Monaghan after the 1983 season. Monaghan himself followed Fetzer's footsteps into broadcasting and now holds a significant stake in a number of broadcast properties airing mostly religious programming, through entities owned or controlled.

Much of Fetzer's wealth was used to establish the Fetzer Institute.
    He founded the Fetzer Institute "Our mission, to foster awareness of the power of love and forgiveness in the emerging global community, rests on our conviction that efforts to address the world's critical issues must go beyond political, social, and economic strategies to their psychological and spiritual roots." Approximate endowment = $400 000 000 in 2006.

Through my year with the Course, similarly synchronistic lessons appeared to me. Indeed, it is in the Course's interface with people's lives that they generally find themselves drawn in, resonating and convinced of the Course's genuineness and efficacy.
    At first I found it effortless, interfacing perfectly with me with my previous consciousness experiences. Then I began to have some rather spooky incidents. At lesson 69, "My grievances hide the light of the world," the student is asked to find a brilliant light within oneself that is hidden by clouds of one's assumptive universe of grievances – or as the Buddha put it Dukkha, or suffering. My meditation brought me to a still place deep inside my consciousness. Suddenly the vapors had parted and I saw this incredibly brilliant light. I was still as cynical and observant as ever, but I have to admit I was impressed with the experience. "Hey, this is pretty hot stuff," I said to myself. In the meantime my body was filled with joyous trembling.
    "

The Miracle material fits in with current scientific hypotheses that there is a central creative intelligence in the universe. It provides the missing link with all systems of meditation. We have had so many teachers in the Middle and Far East. Practically all have emphasized that you can do these things, but none have told you exactly how. This is the only material that actually effects a breakthrough. It has eliminated my hypertension and ulcers . . . I've never seen anything that has such a mark of authenticity."

JOHN FETZER, 75
    President of the Detroit Tigers,
    Radio and Television Station Owner and Operator
    Chairman of the Planning Committee of the American League

Bio from the Fetzer Institute website:
    The founder of the Fetzer Institute, [[John Earl Fetzer), was familiar with the call of the sacred within the secular. Trained as an electrical engineer, John E. Fetzer began his career in 1931 by designing, building, and operating his own radio station that he then expanded into a Michigan-based, multistate broadcasting empire including radio, television, cable, and closed-circuit music transmission. In his private life, John Fetzer had an Throughout his life he was also passionately interested in baseball, an enthusiasm that led him to purchase the Detroit Tigers baseball club. In his later yearintense intellectual curiosity about the "unseen elements" of life. He studied various forms of meditation, prayer, philosophy, and positive thinking, and explored other ways of healing.s, the sale of the team and his media holdings resulted in the endowment of the Fetzer Institute. The interests that shaped John Fetzer's life can be seen as the seedbed for the questions that define the work of the Fetzer Institute: How can the secular and sacred elements of life be better integrated? How can the insights of science and the powers of technological innovation be utilized to explore the capacities of the mind and spirit? How can the wisdom and insight gained through inner exploration be used to better our individual and collective health? And how can the entrepreneurial spirit and financial resources gained from the American business sector be used in the service of creating a better world?
    Last edited by MizMotown; June-09-11 at 12:51 PM.