Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
This is true, but snitching does not guarantee a pardon or a reduced sentence. A good example of this is the case of WBR. His cooperation with the FBI lead to numerous convictions, including those of police officers. As a result of his cooperation with the Federal Government, WBR received a life sentence, some of which was even served in a Federal prison.

A criminal is a criminal prior to snitching. Snitching does not make someone a criminal. For large scale criminal operations, such as the ones WBR was involved in, snitches are much more important than witnesses. A witness observes and makes complaints; a snitch is involved intimately in the logistics of criminal enterprises. A snitch's cooperation can topple entire criminal empires.

I agree with you that we need more witnesses, but we need them to come forward on smaller crimes, such as scrapping and vandalism. I would argue that we need more snitches, i.e. criminals, involved in organized crime to finger as many of their accomplices as possible.
WBR did receive an alleviated sentence when you take into account that he has served time in federal prison, due to his snitching, instead of state prison.

The snitch doesn't become a snitch without being a criminal first. Therefore, if you have less criminal activity you have a better chance for less snitching and vice versa.