One of my earliest memories is of driving on Chalmers Ave from Jefferson to the river to visit my aunt who lived just a house or two notrth of Scripps. It was summer and the air cooled noticabley as we drove under that wonderful canopy. It was as beautiful as a cathedral.
Her home was one of a kind. Her living room faced Chalmers and it had two sets of french doors that opened onto a terraced garden in the front with an awning over it. I believe that the home still stands but certainly the french doors would be a liability and would have been covered. The garden is gone as well.

I often wonder if there is a connection between the loss of the trees and the loss of peaceful neighborhoods in Detroit. I have had three trees planted on my street in SW Detroit - but they will never bee as beautiful as those elms. The City plants lots of different trees on a street now [[to combat the devastation of a blight) and the effect is scraggly and uneven - at least to my eyes trained by the cathedrals of trees on the east side.