Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
I never went to that record place. We'd go to Grinnell's downtown to buy records. I don't even remember that record store being there, although after I researched it I see they moved there in the 50s. I don't remember it...Tom Thumbs Pizza [[later Mormondo's) was right around there, as was Beaver's Boutique, the topless shoeshine place, if memory serves. I think the bar you're talking about was the Sweetheart.

Right down the street from there is the old garage that was owned by Jim Burwell, the KKK member who also drove the church bus and gave money to civil rights groups. The garage is still standing; the current owner, who also owns the old Clay School on MLK [[Myrtle) wants to turn the garage into a television/movie studio.

Speaking of record stores, there was a place called Jo-Jo's records in the neighborhood. Jo-Jo, the owner, was one of the biggest pimps around, along with guys named Fleet and Florida Bobby.
Ramsey's was a well-known, reliable auto, truck repair garage on Selden between Second and Third Avenues.
Harry ran Anderson Gardens on Third just North of W. Willis.
The Calumet Bar was across the street. Big Red-headed Ed had a 2nd-hand furniture store next to it.
A pimp named Rob, who owned a fancy Italian restaurant in Livonia, operated out of the Selden BBQ in the '60's. His nephews ran errands for him.

"Shanty Bill' was an older resident of a small apartment house on Cass just North of Temple. He sold Watkins products for income additional to his Social security. He was well-liked and an exceptionally good dancer.