Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 46 of 263 FirstFirst ... 36 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 56 96 146 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 6559

MGM is only one floor, and it's very difficult to find the non-smoking section in there. Motor City used to have a non-smoking floor, but they cut it back to one corner in the basement. I don't know about Greektown.

Looks like they're going to pave my Paradise and put up a parking lot. :-[[

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Looks like they're going to pave my Paradise and put up a parking lot. :-[[

I feel your pain CFG. Instead of embracing this landmark as it were, the city in it's infinite dumbdom took the standard approach of sitting on it's hands and the politcians waited uintil a deal would come along that would grease their grubly little hands the best. That deal never came along, not the false indignation of the exact people who let this happen are the ones saying we can't afford to keep in here anymore.

I say this half heartedly, but they should just raze the whole city right down to the ground and let all of these people who think they have a better progressive vision for a utopian society designed it in their own image, I mean they've done a wonderful job of it over the the last 40 years or so anyway.

That way, past aggressions will no longer be a viable excuse for their misery.

Thanks Z - my heart broke when they moved - but always held hope that I'd be able to return to the "Navin" configuration to watch baseball the way it was meant to be. Even sitting in the ballyard - I'd pay admission - just to use it as a safe haven. My feeling is that since Mike Illitch owns the town, he didn't want anyone watching any type of baseball if it wasn't in his venue.

I'll share this one last time for those who weren't on the forum ealry on:

Goodbye Old Girl

I’m tired and old, it’s time to say bye,
    My house was your home, yes even for Ty.
    When Babe set foot on my tall green bright grass
    I told him okay I’ll give you a pass
    I’ve been through a lot they come and they go.
    But grieve me not friends I’m no longer the show
    There’s Harry and Cochrane and Prince Hal and Charley
    There were so many laughs boy did Cash like to party.
    They had Murder’s Row but we had our Hank
    And our home grown son Willie was built like a tank
    Tram and Sweet Lou each were just like a son
    As Ernie would say “2 for the price of one”.
    My neighborhood burned back in 67’
    That 68’ team was a gift down from heaven,
    My shoulders are slumped and I’ll soon be debris
    But weep not dear friends, no weep not for me.
    Al Kaline first class, he was born with a touch
    Kirk though rambunctious but tough in the clutch
    That 84’ team sure did have swagger
    But the Padres learned fast when we gave them the dagger
    From Bennett to Navin to Briggs then into Tiger
    My name may have changed but my roof just got higher.
    I’ve opened my home to friend and to foe
    But now it’s my time, it’s my time to go.
    My final decree as my walls start to crumble
    May a smile cross your face when you think of Michigan and Trumbull.

That's beautiful Z - I will always smile when I think of Michigan and Trumbull - and remember that was the last reason for me to go downtown.

[quote=zitro;28040]I'll share this one last time for those who weren't on the forum ealry on:

Goodbye Old Girl

Z - Your's or borrowed.
    Anyway, a nice remembrance.

[quote=Mkap;28070]
    Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    I'll share this one last time for those who weren't on the forum ealry on:

Goodbye Old Girl

Z - Your's or borrowed.
    Anyway, a nice remembrance.

I wrote this the first day they started swinging the wrecking ball on the Old Girl last year.

I've never gone down since the first ball hit - I just couldn't do it - It would be like seeing a family member dying. Back in the early 70's, I think I may have missed 10 or 12 home games a season - and didn't even have season tickets - just General Admission and wandered around. There was NOTHING like being in that 2nd home!

[quote=zitro;28071]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post

I wrote this the first day they started swinging the wrecking ball on the Old Girl last year.
    Something only true "Stadium" fans will appreciate. Coming from one who does. Mind if I pass it on to some other fans who I know would enjoy it [[with credit to the author of course, because plagiarism even sounds like a mortal sin)?

[quote=Mkap;28083]
    Something only true "Stadium" fans will appreciate. Coming from one who does. Mind if I pass it on to some other fans who I know would enjoy it [[with credit to the author of course, because plagiarism even sounds like a mortal sin)?

Of course I don't mind, it was written for all who have memories of the old place. Here's a link to a Facebook album I put together that has the poem on it along with some photo's I took before I moved. Enjoy!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=d85e08cf35

I've never gone down since the first ball hit - I just couldn't do it - It would be like seeing a family member dying.
    It was sad, but I thought I needed to be there.

Michigan and Tremble: The Demolition of Tiger Stadium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pydv-lsIs6Y

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    It was sad, but I thought I needed to be there.

Michigan and Tremble: The Demolition of Tiger Stadium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pydv-lsIs6Y
    Seeing that machine working on the stadium was like watching a vulture picking at a carcass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    Seeing that machine working on the stadium was like watching a vulture picking at a carcass.

Thanks for preserving history 7.

You would think if all the city cared about was the money this was costing they would have come up with a plan to sell off the stadium piece by piece I'm sure it would have covered the cost of demolition but we are talking about the Detroit City Clowncil so enough said there

couldn't watch it - will never watch it ---too much sad stuff for me. I'm not strong enough to take it. I'd like to keep the good memories in tact and not have a memory about the "after".

I know, it sounds dramatic - but the place meant a lot to me - memories as a kid going with Dad - and later as a teen, loving the sights and sounds of the place - and later as an adult, escaping the 'world' by taking in a game....and just remembering. Not that you can see me, but my sleeve has a part in the movie 61* - I don't think I missed a day of filming - got a baseball signed by Billy Crystal, and a picture taken with Barry Pepper. Loved being "hall monitor" for the extras and camera people who needed a tour guide!

I know, it sounds dramatic - but the place meant a lot to me - memories as a kid going with Dad - and later as a teen, loving the sights and sounds of the place - and later as an adult, escaping the 'world' by taking in a game....and just remembering. Not that you can see me, but my sleeve has a part in the movie 61* - I don't think I missed a day of filming - got a baseball signed by Billy Crystal, and a picture taken with Barry Pepper. Loved being "hall monitor" for the extras and camera people who needed a tour guide!

No need to explain cfg, Tiger Stadium holds a special place in all of our hearts to quote Terrance Mann "The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. "

Some people like to think of these memories like a basment full of our childhood crap sitting in our parents basements which prevent us from moving on. Others believe those memories are ones to be cherished and shared with others, it's all a matter of perspective.

Thanks, Z - You understand perfectly. I do have a lot of Crap from those days - but I'd trade it all for one more game.... Betty and I were interviewed by Mary Conway on the 12:00 news that last day - and we had her crying.

Thanks for preserving history 7.
    I wish I had video of my better memories of that place...like the day I was there with my Mom and Dad and the Holy Name Society when the place was packed and Fidrych won and did a curtain call, and the time my son and I ran the bases.

This is more like war coverage, and unfortunately we're losing.

That was YOUR sleeve, Cfg? If I'd have known that, I would have asked for your autograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    That's sums it up well, Tsom, and now two of those vultures are back, poised on the property to finish it off.

If they do go through with it, and I would rather they don't, it would be nice if they would at least maintain the diamond and the field itself. Is that too much to ask?

I was there the night they shut the bleachers down because people kept throwing stuff off the upper deck on to the field. I think it was 1975 or 76

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I was there the night they shut the bleachers down because people kept throwing stuff off the upper deck on to the field. I think it was 1975 or 76

Ahh the good ole' days when the Bleacher Creatures were alive and well

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Great memory, J. Sat in the bleachers a quite a few times myself back in the day. The tickets were $1.00 and later $2.00 and you're in the park. Throw in a beach ball on a sunny Sunday afternoon, and it don't get much funner than that.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Great memory, J. Sat in the bleachers a quite a few times myself back in the day. The tickets were $1.00 and later $2.00 and you're in the park. Throw in a beach ball on a sunny Sunday afternoon, and it don't get much funner than that.

I used to hear rumors that hooligans would sometimes try to smoke that eveil weed marijuana up in the bleachers during some of those games too.

Page 46 of 263 FirstFirst ... 36 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 56 96 146 ... LastLast