Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    FYI to the individual who claimed they live in the burbs because they can walk around without fear of being victim of a crime...My mothers subdivision in Sterling Heights was recently subject to a wave of break-ins [[over a dozen houses in a few block area)...There has been lots of news recently of a man sexually assaulting women in DOWNTOWN Royal Oak...crime is seemingly up everywhere, don't fool yourself.
    Walk 9 Mile from Telegraph to Gratiot, then do the same on 7 Mile. If you survive the second leg of the journey unscathed, please let us know which voyage was more pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    BTW, new update: one of my Spring term students was violently assaulted Saturday night as she left work. She just left my office -- it was a brutal, vicious attack. She is visibly patched back together and on strong pain medication.

This was in downtown Detroit. I'll find out where, but for now, I sent her home to recover. I am so angry right now I could spit NAILS. She is a young, beautiful, brilliant woman working hard on her degree, a single mom with two jobs. Her life nearly ended Saturday night because of this DAMN city.
    Sorry to hear that, English. I send my deepest sympathies to this lady. I hope she's alright soon. Any other info you can provide would be appreciated - namely, where it happened. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Maybe pipe in classical music. That has worked in some public gathering places.

No self-respecting teenager wants to hang out with Mozart and Mendelssohn.

Or figure out the corniest possible activities [[ask younger folks who know DPS) and promote them at the Riverwalk. Square-Dancing Saturdays, or whatever.
    They do do the classical music sometimes... I never thought there was a motive behind it until I read this.

My partner and me were on the Riverwalk just before the nonsense happened. I--being of less progressive outlook--saw the hordes of aggressive, half-naked teenagers and knew there was going to be trouble. We live downtown and walked to the Riverwalk as we often do after diner. Something is going to have to give. Either DPS and parents will stop trying to blame each other for uneducated and uncivil students or our policing will need to very much more aggressive. I think that the latter is probably a quicker fix.

I am so sorry and angry to here this English... it's getting nuts and I am taking care where I go more... yet you can be a victim withstanding best precautions. Increasingly so decent, hard working Detroiters are being perceived as easy 'marks' for the criminal element that has little fear of consequence. I hope your friend has a speedy recovery.
    BTW, new update: one of my Spring term students was violently assaulted Saturday night as she left work. She just left my office -- it was a brutal, vicious attack. She is visibly patched back together and on strong pain medication.

This was in downtown Detroit. I'll find out where, but for now, I sent her home to recover. I am so angry right now I could spit NAILS. She is a young, beautiful, brilliant woman working hard on her degree, a single mom with two jobs. Her life nearly ended Saturday night because of this DAMN city.

Not a crowd I want to be around. Too out of control... This needs to get addressed fast! Or the Riverwalk will not see me. Once it gets out that an area it a 'hang out' it's branded so -- unless heavy policing changes that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagley View Post
    My partner and me were on the Riverwalk just before the nonsense happened. I--being of less progressive outlook--saw the hordes of aggressive, half-naked teenagers and knew there was going to be trouble. We live downtown and walked to the Riverwalk as we often do after diner. Something is going to have to give. Either DPS and parents will stop trying to blame each other for uneducated and uncivil students or our policing will need to very much more aggressive. I think that the latter is probably a quicker fix.

I'll find out where she works so folks can watch out, as soon as she gets back to campus. Poor thing. We cried together, and I sent her home with some bags of good, Tazo tea. My anger was, and is, white-hot.

Warm weather comes and the idiots get even more idiotic. I don't know what's going on with policing.

I've noticed that the East Riverwalk seems a little less populated than the area by the RenCen. That's because I think our area attracts an older crowd -- you get a few people from Lafayette Park, but many of us live in River Park Place, Stroh's, Harbortown, Indian Village, or points east. There isn't really very much accessible parking here. It's a bit of a drag being so far away from downtown [[about 20-30 minutes by foot) but it does seem to draw a different crowd.

GM needs to realize that they're going to have to invest in heightened security measures after hours and on weekends. I think that the Conservancy is smart to have a toned-down River Days -- but yes, they need to increase foot and bike traffic on the ground.

Detroit doesn't have the luxury of cutting police or policing right now. Time to cut something else... yes, I know, easier said than done, but you don't want those of us with options who are quixotically remaining in town to hightail it out.

Detroit doesn't have the luxury of cutting police or policing right now. Time to cut something else... yes, I know, easier said than done, but you don't want those of us with options who are quixotically remaining in town to hightail it out.
    Based on some of the things DPD officers have told me, I honestly think that some of them are too invested in the scary mythology of Detroit [read: afraid] to assert themselves intelligently. We need men and women on the front lines who think the battle is winnable [[ideally residents). Once, in my old neighborhood, when lethally heavy objects were thrown at police from the roof of a building, I asked if the officers were going to go in and search for the culprit they said that no one would open the gate for them and the didn't want to damage it. He followed that up by saying "I don't know how you live here." Sadly, how I live here is mostly without the help of law enforcement. I wasen't expecting them to be Seal Team 6 but who are you willing to defend if not yourself? I know several really dedicated and courageous DPD officers and I appreciate them but I'm not sure that they are the majority based on the fear and insecurity [[exhibited as condescension and abuse of authority) I've seen in my times of need. If we have to cut, lets figure out which officers don't think the task is winnable.

Wow, Bagley, you really nailed it.

Yes, you did hit the nail on the head, Bagley. Wow.

My uncle who helped integrate the force after WWII passed away several years ago, and his son and daughter who both became DPD cops are now retired. They would be ashamed of some [[not all -- there are many good people still on the force) who wear their uniform. But then again, I feel that many institutions of our society are filled with people who just aren't much like our grandparents' generation...

My prayers goes out to her that she will be healed physically and mentally. I also pray that the attackers will be caught

Update: my student is at home and resting. I did not see her again this week. Once she recovers and is willing to talk about it, I'll let you know the location.

I know stuff happens everywhere... but when it happens to someone you know it really hits home.

Based on some of the things DPD officers have told me, I honestly think that some of them are too invested in the scary mythology of Detroit [read: afraid] to assert themselves intelligently. We need men and women on the front lines who think the battle is winnable [[ideally residents).
    I know a lot of police officers, both DPD and otherwise. One of the constants in them is that their attitudes vary widely depending on what it is that they are dealing with and the constraints that are put on them from above.

Keeping officers mentally on target and ready to do their jobs is a responsibility shared with each individual officer as well as their respective supervisor and commander. It's also the supervisor/commander's responsibility to identify and respond to individuals under their command who are not performing properly.

Regarding the example that you repeated above, I'm not an expert and it's hard to gauge this from second hand information, but it certainly sounds like the officers in question were showing signs of combat stress reaction. This normally shows up in troops during wartime. Unfortunately, living and policing a city like Detroit is enough like war to cause such an instance.

I remember talking to a friend of mine who is a psychiatrist. She diagnosed combat stress reaction is number of city residents. It doesn't seem unthinkable then that it would also show up in our police officers.

More on CSR @ http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/usmc/mcrp611c.pdf

Update: my student is at home and resting. I did not see her again this week. Once she recovers and is willing to talk about it, I'll let you know the location.
    I'm glad to hear that she is getting better. She will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

I know stuff happens everywhere... but when it happens to someone you know it really hits home.
    Thank you. I'm praying for her too.

I think that people are very inconsiderate when they say that to a person who had experienced or who know someone who had been a victime of crime and violence. I had heard one of our political leaders responded to crime in Detroit in the same manner. "Crime happens everywhere". Easy to say until it happens to them or someone close to them God forbids

I hear that!

The tired 'crime happens everywhere' equivalency moniker used to sooth and gloss over things, back when it was more important to not say bad things about the city over facing facts. That glossing has gotten VERY, v-e-r-y OLD!!

Many finally ditched this rhetoric as crime finally made it to their door despite attempts at attaining higher grounds away from it. The higher grounds have become scarce as the crime wave continues.

When useful the 'crime happen everywhere' thing placated -- allowing business as usual.

After all, if crime is 'everywhere', well then crime in Detroit is not that bad...... so the rhetoric went. Everyone knew the truth.

OF COURSE 'CRIME HAPPENS EVERYWHERE', or can happen everywhere. You best watch yourself where ever you go. Got that.

But CRIME in Detroit is at a higher percentage! AND If 'percentage' means nothing then we need to stop responding to the 10-15% discounts when shopping and clipping coupons!

If the higher percentage means a coffin purchase [[discounted or retail price) or another run on RIP tribute t-shirts to a murdered youth, etc., then the percentage it too high !!

I say talk the police officers who see what's goings' on; the pawn shop owners, lock smiths, the funeral directors or the morgue.
    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I think that people are very inconsiderate when they say that to a person who had experienced or who know someone who had been a victime of crime and violence. I had heard one of our political leaders responded to crime in Detroit in the same manner. "Crime happens everywhere". Easy to say until it happens to them or someone close to them God forbids
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-29-11 at 10:42 AM.

Oh god...that's just horrible.

My wife and I were going for our usual run around Comerica yesterday around 5:30 and CSI was still out there and Montcalm was still blocked off....I can't believe this would happen right in front of the Tigers admin offices. Just nuts.

I heard about this around the time that it happened and couldn't get much detail. Praying that this isn't another long, hot summer....

living downtown sort of constitutes "looking for crime." These drop in crime figures make some sense if you factor in drops in population but there are caveats. People leaving town to escape crime are probably not the ones committing the bulk of crimes. Also the more money to leave town the less secure i think i would feel to be someone that has things in the city. Also around 2 am downtown when the bar gets out is probably not the best time to be out wandering around.
    Case in point. Guy just got shot on the NW side of town. Granted its not downtown he wasn't out looking for trouble as far is i can tell. He tested new car components as an engineer, often had new cars in his driveway and was shot twice in that driveway on his way to dropping his 10 year old off at school. Presumably this engineer job could have afforded him residence in a lower crime area. Hope he made it.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/28156319/detail.html
    Last edited by Autoracks; June-07-11 at 10:46 AM.

2:30 PM on a weekday - that's nuts!

I walk down there on my lunch break quite a bit, it's off the beaten path and when the Tigers are out of town it's pretty much empty. Gotta believe those guys had planned it out a little bit, but I'm also pretty sure delivery drivers don't carry cash so I'm not sure what they thought they would get. The truck? A trunk full of foodstuffs? Senseless.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Autoracks View Post
    living downtown sort of constitutes "looking for crime." These drop in crime figures make some sense if you factor in drops in population but there are caveats. People leaving town to escape crime are probably not the ones committing the bulk of crimes. Also the more money to leave town the less secure i think i would feel to be someone that has things in the city. Also around 2 am downtown when the bar gets out is probably not the best time to be out wandering around.
    Case in point. Guy just got shot on the NW side of town. Granted its not downtown he wasn't out looking for trouble as far is i can tell. He tested new car components as an engineer, often had new cars in his driveway and was shot twice in that driveway on his way to dropping his 10 year old off at school. Presumably this engineer job could have afforded him residence in a lower crime area. Hope he made it.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/28156319/detail.html

This is infuriating.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast