Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Jimaz, that shits awesome.
    Is it really art created by explosion?
    Yeah, isn't that something? Great videography too. Perfectly synchronized with the music. I can't imagine how they could fake those explosions. They probably prepare the wall first to get a good contrast. I like the way it exposes underlying brick texture.

I wonder what kind of explosive they used. Nitrogen triiodide seems too unstable but it is stable before it dries. The final slo-mo explosion starts in reverse so you can see what the painting looks like before detonation.

Don't miss the artist's website. Some of his work is so subtle you might miss it if you walked by too closely.

This is the kind of graffiti I would love to find on my property.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-09-11 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Let's keep it civil, please? I didn't try to negatively characterize you and I wish you would treat me with the same courtesy. Of course, we all know that there is a glaring double standard on this forum when it comes to name-calling.

Now for that "middle ground" approach you'd like to see employed when it comes to permitting graffiti, just exactly where do you think it should be permitted [[pick as many as you need to turn that gray "middle ground" description into something more black & white and actionable)?
    a) clearly abandoned private property
    b) vacant private property
    c) any private property [[except your own, of course)
    d) publicly owned bridges, walkways. roads, etc
    e) publicly owned parks
    f) publicly owned vacant or abandoned buildings
    g) publicly owned and occupied buildings
    h) any public property
    i) all of the above but only if the graffiti "artist" has their own web site and/or has had their "work" shown in an art gallery or has been similarly celebrated
    There is no rule regarding being civil here at DY. Regardless, your definition and mine would be poles apart. I'm still waiting for you to name a few of those 'civilized' countries.

I think I am just going to stay out of this one and post some links. I guess the phrase the "proof is in the pudding" is ample for this thread:

http://primaryflight.com/

http://www.thewynwoodwalls.com/home.html

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    There is no rule regarding being civil here at DY. Regardless, your definition and mine would be poles apart. I'm still waiting for you to name a few of those 'civilized' countries.
    There more than certainly IS a rule about civility here, Ask Lowell.

And I wish you would leave the poles out of it.

Graffiti as street art? My, what a contentious topic. I wouldn't go near it with a ten-foot... oh, never mind.

Anyways,...
    The Geffen whatever, Museum or somesuch, should indeed be called out for erasing graffiti from its exterior and then showing street art inside. Very lame. But an art institution like the DIA does need to be staffed by people who value art highly.

Whether an image is art or just vandalism kind of depends on everything about it. Generally, when people say graffiti, I think of some guy putting his brand on some other person's property in as garish a manner as possible. Now somebody going into the Packard and creating a giant mural to the excesses of capitalism is also a misappropriation of somebody else's property, but it has a far more Robin Hood quality to it. It's just as much a case of the artist liberating the property from the previous slummy owner so it can once again have some utility.

There is no rule regarding being civil here at DY.
    Seems to me I remember something here under the heading "Be nice or be gone" - rules for some, just philosophy for others, I guess.

Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    There more than certainly IS a rule about civility here, Ask Lowell.

And I wish you would leave the poles out of it.
    I talk to Lowell often. He chastises me for lot's of things but civility isn't one of them. Lowell has even censored me - but not for incivility. Sorry about the ethnic slurs, ha, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Seems to me I remember something here under the heading "Be nice or be gone" - rules for some, just philosophy for others, I guess.

Whatever.
    What was it I said that you consider uncivil? Fuck? Right-wing nutcase? Hardly, especially if applicable and it's language used here long before I ever used it. I think you're evading answering the question I've posed about three times now: please name a few of those 'civilized' countries.

I talk to Lowell often. He chastises me for lot's of things but civility isn't one of them. Lowell has even censored me - but not for incivility. Sorry about the ethnic slurs, ha, ha.
    Shoot, you tempt me, sir. However, I value the conversation that takes place here enough to generally abide by the rules...apart from a few regularly insulted 10-footers.
    Last edited by fryar; May-09-11 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Sanitized for our all protection

My $0.02: That article in the DetNews focused on an artist I'd never heard of, or seen, in Detroit. His work is shoddy compared to most of the guys in the city.

There has been graf/public art/vandalism since the Roman Empire. Big deal.

This flickr group has a lot of much better examples of good painting in the city.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/detroitgraffiti/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/excusem...-jtothejeremy/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/excusem...-jtothejeremy/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/excusem...57603523272240
    Last edited by j to the jeremy; May-10-11 at 12:58 PM.

Why do people think that there's a tide of school renovators, lawn maintenance personnel, and gentrifiers turning away from Detroit because of the graffiti?

Sorry, but whatever your feelings on graffiti happen to be, don't pretend that it's a matter of Sparkly Nice Things or graffiti. Too often, it's a matter of ugly boarded up burned out scrapped-out mess or graffiti. At least the graffiti's colorful.

For all you know, some of them do. Graffiti has been a fixture of city culture for decades. It is one of the many things people squabble over no matter what year it is.

Have you ever been to NYC or any city in Europe? There is WAY more graf than in Detroit. Most of the stuff here is in abandoned buildings, unlike other cities where it's out in the open on the street. Graffiti is the least of Detroit's problems.
    Last edited by j to the jeremy; May-10-11 at 01:50 PM.

So are they going to get together and help clean this one up as it has and is going to cost somebody some dollars,residents have already had to pay the city inspectors time so far.

Page 3 # 15 opens as a PDF

http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C417406157.PDF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2