Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Anyone else see the new South Park last night...? Roasting on Apple
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...-humancentipad

DetroitPole Guest

Maybe if we didn't have 350 murders per year and days where six people are shot dead and nine injured from gunfire we could have nice things. Less people are probably killed in a 24 hour period in Somalia.

I talked to a banker at Chase today and she told me that the Chase branch will soon be remodeled into a much smaller foot print to make way for an adjacent Apple Store in the Chase Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I talked to a banker at Chase today and she told me that the Chase branch will soon be remodeled into a much smaller foot print to make way for an adjacent Apple Store in the Chase Tower.

I will be so excited if this is true. don't tease us man.

Quote Originally Posted by Doma View Post
    I would love an apple store and a Starbucks close to each other in Campus Martius.

wow this being from may 2011... may end up coming true my friend

lol yeah, this would be piss-my-pants-excitement worthy if this were true. It would make a bit of sense, considering the heavy foot traffic around Campus Martius in the summer and windsor would have a pretty close apple store as well

You're a little bit early for an April Fools prank. But seriously, in all those articles about the hudsons block development someone with bedrock [[matt cullen maybe?) was quoted as saying they know of at least half a dozen deals in the works. Can't wait to see what's in store!

Been hearing the same story since 2011. Besides, what are the chances that Detroit will get an Apple Store this early- even before SEATTLE gets one? Seattle is where Detroit wants to be in the future, with record breaking development, gentrification, and being the fastest growing city in the country. Nice try, but I'm not buying it.

I think it's likely that an apple store is in the cards, idk exactly when or where but it seems like something that would make sense.

A bank teller isn't going to know anything though, that's just the same rumors that have been circulating getting circulated back to us. Construction workers are another group of people which usually don't know anything more than we do.
    Last edited by Jason; March-16-15 at 09:03 PM.

Glad to hear they are coming, if so. I wonder if the downtown Apple store will be any less snobbish than the Somerset one?

They tended to turn up their nose when I bring my older, as they call them "legacy" old Mac stuff for questions the few times I've had trouble. No I just go to youtube and Mac forums online and handle my own issues......

Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post
    Been hearing the same story since 2011. Besides, what are the chances that Detroit will get an Apple Store this early- even before SEATTLE gets one? Seattle is where Detroit wants to be in the future, with record breaking development, gentrification, and being the fastest growing city in the country. Nice try, but I'm not buying it.
    Seattle already has one. Hell, Toledo has an Apple Store. I'm not really sure an Apple Store signals anything other than that's enough people in an area who are willing to buy $600 dollar phones.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; March-16-15 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post

You're a moron.....

https://www.apple.com/retail/universityvillage/

Interesting that they don't even have any urban format stores in Michigan or Ohio. One of their five Minnesota locations is in a Birmingham-esque neighborhood within Minneapolis proper. So downtown stores are hard to find outside the biggest of the big cities. This would be a major 'get' for Detroit and worthy of attention; on the other hand, I agree with those who are suggesting it's overdue and that Apple needs to catch up. Hopefully DG will land it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Interesting that they don't even have any urban format stores in Michigan or Ohio. One of their five Minnesota locations is in a Birmingham-esque neighborhood within Minneapolis proper. So downtown stores are hard to find outside the biggest of the big cities. This would be a major 'get' for Detroit and worthy of attention; on the other hand, I agree with those who are suggesting it's overdue and that Apple needs to catch up. Hopefully DG will land it.
    If you were Apple and thought about the prevalence of the five-finger discount in Detroit, what would you do?

^^^ Sensors at the doors and put the small yet ultra expensive peripherals like Iphone/ Ipad chargers, earbuds, cases, WIFI devises, etc. behind the counter... Maybe? The suburban stores have sensors and their computer products cabled-down and heavily monitored as well. But the small items are accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Lol... I meant downtown. That's over by U of Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Sensors at the doors and put the small yet ultra expensive peripherals like Iphone/ Ipad chargers, earbuds, cases, WIFI devises, etc. behind the counter... Maybe? The suburban stores have sensors and their computer products cabled-down and heavily monitored as well. But the small items are accessible.
    It's been quite awhile since I've been in an Apple store, but usn't everything teathered to the tables with those metal and plastic cables?

Hermod: security systems/personnel [[as they have in even the fanciest locales); insurance; and sensible design [[like they always do-- usually the merchandise is all under lock in the back room...and if someone somehow holds you up for what's back there, it's essentially like a bank robbery, a/k/a the dumbest crime ever because you will be all over the cameras and all of the merchandise can be tracked). What an alarmist!

Gilberttown Detroit will get an Apple Store alright, by 2019.

Security-wise, who purchases anything anymore with a bundle of cash? They probably have zilch in their safe at the end of the day.

The couple of times I have been at the Apple store downtown here, I bought stuff on my credit card and they asked if I wanted an electronic receipt by email, etc... Not a lot of cash in stores anymore. Everything is geared to having less cash and more electronic tracking.

On weekends, the place is filled, you can't move about but they have maybe fifty hipsters and hipsterettes working there, with all the trim beards, tattooed necklines and gigantic earlobe disks you care to count. It would be a great place for employment in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Security-wise, who purchases anything anymore with a bundle of cash? They probably have zilch in their safe at the end of the day.
    I'm reluctant to add to this silly conversation because stopping theft in Detroit is no different than any other city but... You should go check out the Apple store in the first week or two after the release of a new iPhone. There will be a ton of people buying phones at full price in cash so they can ship them to China or Brazil and sell the phones at a 100% markup.
    Last edited by iheartthed; March-17-15 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I'm reluctant to add to this silly conversation because stopping theft in Detroit is no different than any other city but... You should go check out the Apple store in the first week or two after the release of a new iPhone. There will be a ton of people buying phones at full price in cash so they can ship them to China or Brazil and sell the phones at a 100% markup.

That's it. The whole point should be; why is Detroit perceived as a no man's land from the get go. Too much bad faith leading to the kind of situation you have now where the CBD is struggling to restart a fledgling marketplace of retailers. Detroit needs a healthy downtown.

Yes, the neighborhoods are entitled to more care and development stategies but the key to a revival may lie in more jobs at the downtown and midtown clusters. If you think about it, if all these empty storefronts and office spaces were transformed, the employment would spur growth in the nabes. Where else is there a concentration of money and power to lure suburbanites, city dwellers and tourists to spend time and money at such a scale in Metro Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    If you were Apple and thought about the prevalence of the five-finger discount in Detroit, what would you do?
    If I were Apple, I wouldn't give any thought to it...

Apple stores are designed to showcase Apple products and services, and they are not a primary source of product distribution or sales volume for Apple.

To put it in perspective, Apple posted a revenue of $37.5 billion dollars in the last quarter of 2013. Apple stores made $4.5 billion of those revenues, which accounts for only 12% of their total sales.

Of the 12% of Apple revenues generated from Apple store retail sales, only a minuscule amount of the product inventory is available to the public. There are no iPhones, iPads, or computers just sitting out on the shelves. All of the expensive Apple products are kept in the back room and are not at risk of being shoplifted. The accessories that are on display in Apple stores, and available for shoplifters to pilfer, are so inexpensive that even a dramatic increase in shoplifting wouldn't make any difference to the bottom line.

How much does Apple pay for an iPhone case that they sell for $20 - $30 in an Apple store? Certainly no more than a buck or two, and most likely far under a dollar each.

If a suburban Apple store [[like Somerset) has a low shoplifting rate, say 10 iPhone cases per month, the cost of goods lost to shoplifting is maybe $5-$20 per month, which is completely irrelevant and insignificant. The store spends more on coffee and toilet paper for the employee break room every month.

Just for the sake of argument, let's assume that a downtown Detroit Apple store would have ten times the amount of shoplifting of a suburban Apple store. Let's say that a downtown Apple store had 100 iPhone cases shoplifted every month... How much would that cost Apple? Likely less than $100 per month, and certainly no more than a couple hundred dollars per month.

While the thought of losing $100 a month in shoplifted goods may be a factor for a small start-up business to consider, I can assure you that it is completely irrelevant, insignificant, and a non-factor for a company like Apple. Their business model and revenue stream is not impacted on any significant or noticible level by retail shoplifting, and the fear of shoplifting losses is absolutely a non-factor in their business decisions.

It's a moot point, but again; why hanker for an apple store when you can buy all the apples you want at Eastern Market?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4