Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    No shit - I'm aware of that. Bloomie only wants the monied in his city and that doesn't include new arrivals looking for a better place to live [[or low to middle income natives). The core of NYC has the exact reverse situation of Detroit.
    Yes, the NYC area is not as easily accessible property wise as Detroit. If you look at Vancouver, which statistically is the most expensivecity in North America to buy a house, how is it that only very wealthy immigrant investors who on top of buying a house, need to invest hundreds of grands in order to be processed while canadians cant even dream of owning a house. Which is more opportune; Vancouver with its straitlaced, Hong Kong Mumbai driven speculation or Detroit with its anywhere anything goes will access liveability? Detroit may be the only unashamedly unspeculative market in the world. What to do about it when you think of the universities and other amenities that will eventually make a comeback.

First bring the jobs back from china, then You can bring the immigrants..... What are You gonna offer those people.... we got no jobs...

Detroiters split on Bloomberg plan to repopulate city with immigrants

Mayor Bloomberg is a genius. Just imagine all the empty space that are needed 2 fill in.Detroit will be booming again with all the new houses & commercial buildings built. Even Detroit will have a bigger & better transit system. The number of construction workers would be working on particular sites simultaneously. I am skeptical about the new bridge thing but hopefully the city will be lit up like NYC with Lit up Storefronts ALL across Woodward. The vacant and abandoned spaces on avenues like Jefferson, Grand River Michigan Ave, Gratiot and Fort WILL BE filled in with both major and minor businesses. Maybe 100,000+ jobs will be created. I dunno but im just saying

I support this,and will be writing to the mayor about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I support this,and will be writing to the mayor about it.
    I hope Dave Bing supports that idea. I'm quite sure he would.

I don't think it is moral to force someone to live in Detroit. But I do think immigration is a wise way to repopulate Detroit, perhaps the best way. I don't think people in the burbs will ever live in the city, the youth might, but not the older folks. And people from other U.S. cities don't want to live here either. Immigrants might actually want to. But we shouldn't force them. We should give incentives, like free land or buildings or something. Or paying them a fair wage to work on infrastructure projects such as a new mass transit system or retrofitting buildings.

That is an excellent ideal, Bloomberg. Having immigrants in Detroit for green card asylum is a great opportunity to build population and build ecomonic regionalization growth. If New York City can do it, so can Detroit.

Canada used to have an immigration system which limited immigration to desirable places like Toronto but allowed more immigrants into frontier areas and places with labor shortages. This is a variation of the same idea and has some merit depending on whether the immigrants can create their own jobs.

That said, our annual immigration is now 1.7m/year compares with about 350k back in the early 70's when there was a blue collar labor shortage. Politicians, meanwhile have colluded with corporations to ship US blue collar jobs overseas. About half of US population growth is now fueled by immigration and therefore about half of suburban sprawl has to do with immigrations. People who have left Detroit for the burbs are part of the sprawl myself included. How many immigrants are allowed into this country, how many jobs are shipped out, and where immigrants are encouraged to locate are all interrelated.

The Romans sometimes encouraged friendly allied tribes and retired soldiers to settle on Rome's dangerous border areas to establish a security zone against the barbarians. This also looks like a variation of that theme.

I can smell it in the air, Detroit would be booming and the curse will be reversed

We may never know. The immigrants and/or native New Yorkers may be dedicated contractors, construction workers, property investors, etc. Just imagine if we have those type of people, there will be non-stop work to be done to spruce up the entire City of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post

The Romans sometimes encouraged friendly allied tribes and retired soldiers to settle on Rome's dangerous border areas to establish a security zone against the barbarians. This also looks like a variation of that theme.
    Quite unlike the Romans. Retired legionaires got land grants in those security zones after many years of service as one of the incentives to join in addition to being allowed to rape and pillage barbarian towns because it was so hard to recruit legionaires. Not many wanted to become legionaires that became the property of Caesar during their 20 years of service and were brutally killed [[decimated) as an example to motivate other legionaires.

Auxillaries [[friendly allied tribes who served along side the Roman legion) had to give 25 years of military service just to get citizenship and the Romans were still very hesitant to give out land grants to non-Romans, which is why Rome eventually was sacked by formerly allied tribes. If you were an allied tribe who was run out of barbarian territory, starving, and wanted sanction in Rome, you'd basically have to join the army and offer your family up as slaves.

I can just imagine if the US had such a policy.

But, you do make a point. Offer every retired soldier a free house or block of 3-5 houses in Detroit to encourage them to move down here. They'll use their pensions to pay local property taxes. It might work.

GUSHI Guest

Offer every retired soldier a free house or block of 3-5 houses in Detroit to encourage them to move down here. They'll use their pensions to pay local property taxes. It might work

WONDERFUL IDEA

davewindsor, The Croats were a warlike tribe invited by the Romans to settle the land they still occupy as a buffer along that edge of the empire is what I was thinking.

I like the alternative idea you and GUSHI suggest of offering Mayor Bloomberg's ideas to vets. Imagine the crime rate decline in a neighborhood of ex Marines who had been given homestead property if they stayed and developed it over 10 years. Sounds like an inexpensive veteran bonus to administer too.
    Last edited by oladub; May-02-11 at 04:37 PM. Reason: added address

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Canada used to have an immigration system which limited immigration to desirable places like Toronto but allowed more immigrants into frontier areas and places with labor shortages. This is a variation of the same idea and has some merit depending on whether the immigrants can create their own jobs.

That said, our annual immigration is now 1.7m/year compares with about 350k back in the early 70's when there was a blue collar labor shortage. Politicians, meanwhile have colluded with corporations to ship US blue collar jobs overseas. About half of US population growth is now fueled by immigration and therefore about half of suburban sprawl has to do with immigrations. People who have left Detroit for the burbs are part of the sprawl myself included. How many immigrants are allowed into this country, how many jobs are shipped out, and where immigrants are encouraged to locate are all interrelated.

Huh?

Annual permanent immigration into Canada is under 250,000 a year [[2006-2010 stats) not 7 times what you said.

Permanent and temporary residents:
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...iminary/01.asp

http://communities.canada.com/vancou...ar-report.aspx

lilpup Guest

oladub isn't Canadian - the 1.7m is US immigration, not Canadian

Let us pray this goes through.

it would be great to see urban detroit develop more ethnic enclaves again.. jamaican, haitian, cuban, nigerian, somalian, chinese, brazilian, indian, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    it would be great to see urban detroit develop more ethnic enclaves again.. jamaican, haitian, cuban, nigerian, somalian, chinese, brazilian, indian, etc.
    Hopefully they would be dedicated contractors, construction workers, property investors, etc. This city will be restored to its powerful glory.

...and lets not forget about the residents as well. Hypestyles

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    "you can't simply throw whatever immigrants come to America in Detroit and think it will just fix itself".

Bloomberg wasn't talking about just allowing anyone in to set up shop. He specifically, suggested it would need to be under certain parameters, i.e. those that want to start their own business etc. Immigrants coming to Americi is certainly nothing new, but in Detroit it could be real catalyst with
    a directed effort.
    I totally agree with the larger portion of these posts. This is actually a GREAT idea!!
    Never even crossed my mind. I've always appreciated Mayor Bloomberg, and the way he handles problems. Very cool, calm, and collected. Not all Church/Preacher like....preying on people's emotions, rather than seeking simple logic, and solution. Although Mr. Bloomberg may not have
    created the idea, I'm glad he deemed it important enough to address, as he obviously cares about
    this subject. YES, bring those immigrants...don't give them the town....but incentives to come, and
    don't forget to spread a little of those incentive breaks to existing residents. A little loyalty to those
    that stuck by this city during/through hard times, would be a helluva nice gesture as well.
    Bring back the City of Detroit!!!! I vote YES YES YES on immigrants.

How many of them would actually come is what i actually wonder

Here's a sobering summary...

What I found was…
    83% of Detroit is black.
    75% of the blacks in Detroit did not complete high school.
    90% of the blacks in Detroit never went to college.
    50% of the blacks in Detroit are illiterate.
    70% of black children born in Detroit are born to unwed and unemployed mothers.
    50% of the illegitimate black children are born to teenagers.
    33% of all households in Detroit are single mothers with no husband present.
    45% of all homes in Detroit are rentals.
    Detroit’s murder rate is 7 times the national average.
    Detroit’s overall crime rate is 5 times the national average.
    Detroit’s arson rate is 8 times the national average.
    Detroit’s government reported unemployment rate is 27%; the city reports a more realistic rate of 44.8%, counting those underemployed and those that have stopped looking.
    Detroit has been under black democratic party governments for the last fifty years…this is what you get from that…
    [[That last remark I don't want to stand by. That's downright racist....)
    And there we have the bankruptcy of the Detroit education system...
    Last edited by Whitehouse; May-08-11 at 03:42 PM.

I'm sure Bloomberg has an extended plan for all of this:

Give us you're poor, you're tired, you're hungry....

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Here's a sobering summary...

[[That last remark I don't want to stand by. That's downright racist....)
    And there we have the bankruptcy of the Detroit education system...
    I think the whole thing was pretty racist.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3