Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I still feel that an Original Pancake House would do good in Detroit. It could go in the Lafayette strip mall where the Lafayette Market will open soon. Lots of parking for customers

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Really? Waffle Houses and Huddle Houses are nasty. I never stop at one when I'm in the south. I went to one once when I lived in Fort Lauderdale...never again...Total white trash alert. Same for Shoney's..SICK!
    Are you referring to the one on Powerline near Commercial in Fort Lauderale?

9mile&seneca Guest

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    They're a lot worse in the south. A lot of restaurants are dirtier down there than their northern versions. I've noticed the same thing with large grocery chains too.
    Thank you! I've been harping that tune for years. And Florida is cleaner than Ga. because they have a lot of northerners down there! Savannah restaurant kitchens are filthy!!! Food is served by people with 3 inch fingernails! Who knows what grows up under there?

I'll agree with the Original Pancake House as a first choice [[warning, if you plan to go for Sunday breakfast at the Bham store, plan on a wait), and Gest Omelettes comes in a good second.

In the old days, Silverman's had great breakfasts [[chili omelette was the best).

As much as i love Original Pancake House and a handful of other fancy/newer breakfast joints lets mention some of the old school diners that always have their parking lots full and usually serve a great breakfast.

Here is one; Jordan's on Michigan Ave. just east of Cecil.

'Johnny's Ham King' on Fort St....down by the Ambassador Br.
    'Double EE' on 9mi. in Ferndale.
    'Olympic Grill' on Warren Ave@Cass Ave., on Campus.
    ....and last but not least....Yes...'The Steak Hut' on Lafayette, in Detroit.
    The 'Steak Hut' has the famous $2.00 breakfast...with folk musical performances
    every Sunday, under the banner..."$2.00 Breakfast"
    This Sunday, May 1st. 11.00am sharp, will feature the newest local sensation.....
    ' Long Tall Lou w/ Nolan Faulkner'
    A legend in Mr. Faulkner [[on Mandolin/vocals) with the sweet wry voice and guitar of
    our very own Long Tall Lou.
    ..Come on out and eat some 'down home' vittles, while enjoying some
    'down home ' Bluegrass music

Quote Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
    As much as i love Original Pancake House and a handful of other fancy/newer breakfast joints lets mention some of the old school diners that always have their parking lots full and usually serve a great breakfast.

Here is one; Jordan's on Michigan Ave. just east of Cecil.
    I think that think that the lafayette location would be great for Original Pancake House for there are many places to park and it will be very close to Downtown. Another good breakfast place is Lous on Mack near Russell

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Are you referring to the one on Powerline near Commercial in Fort Lauderale?
    No, not that one. The one I went to was actually in Davie at 595 and Davie Rd [[not Davie Blvd). Which might be a reason why it was so trashy. Can't imagine its much better in northern Ft. Laud.

Do miss living on the ICW in downtown though...nice area.

Remember these breakfast gems?

Word Mark: EGGLETS

Serial Number: 73585983 Registration Number: 1451099 Registration Date: August 04, 1987 Filing Date: March 03, 1986 Cancellation Date: February 07, 1994 Goods and Services: IC 030. Nuggets of scrambled eggs wrapped in a crust for consumption on or off the premises

International Class[[es): 030 Current Filing Basis: 1[[a) Original Filing Basis: 1[[a) Published for Opposition: May 12, 1987 Registration Date: August 04, 1987 Type of Mark: Trademark Law Office Assigned: 520 Register: Principal Current Location: FILE REPOSITORY [[FRANCONIA) Current Status: CANCELLED - SECTION 8 Date of Status: February 07, 1994 Live/Dead Indicator: DEAD

Goods/Services Classification

International Class #Information030Status: Cancelled
    First Use Anywhere: 19851204
    First Use in Commerce: 19851204

Owner

Owner: BURGER KING CORPORATION
    POST OFFICE BOX 520783 7360 NORTH KENDALL DRIVE
    MIAMI FL 33152
    Legal Entity Type: Corporation

Gest Omelettes - Redford
    Park Restaurant - Lincoln Park
    Dix Coney Island - Lincoln Park [[open 24 hours!)
    Zorba's Coney Island, Fort Street, Riverview

Outside of Metro Detroit:
    I love the "Mr. David Omelette" at the Hollywood Cafe in Adrian.
    City Limits Diner in Tecumseh has great skillet breakfasts and omelettes too!

Louie's at Eastern Market - good portions too. Honest Johns has a nice, fresh breakfast.

Louie's on Harper near Cadiuex too!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Beverly Hills Grill...It's not cheap but really excellent.

Club Bart in Ferndale is excellent.

No Good Girls Go to Paris? Although admittedly, by the time we make our way down there it's a bit closer to lunchtime, it's still great breakfast fare.

It's a great treat to take my daughter after ballet class on Saturday mornings once in a while. Otherwise, I do agree that Original House is the best. Alex's in Rochester [[Hills?) is pretty good as well. Good portions, decent prices, and great service.

Flytrap in Ferndale is good. I used to like Toast but the last couple of times I'd been there it wasn't so hot and its pricer than FT too.

Grecian Table in Saint Clair Shores has good cheap breakfast.

i went to steak hut today and really liked it, such a great classic diner and the bluegrass was nice...i think they close at 2p most days.
    normally i head to louies on mack...

Gotta love Waffle House; the nastier the better. Since moving to Florida, I find WH is the only place that does "greasy spoon" right. Just don't look at any of the cooking surfaces or the floor, and ignore the white trash that seems to proliferate at the chain. Can't figure why WH's aren't condemned, but the food rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Gotta love Waffle House; the nastier the better. Since moving to Florida, I find WH is the only place that does "greasy spoon" right. Just don't look at any of the cooking surfaces or the floor, and ignore the white trash that seems to proliferate at the chain. Can't figure why WH's aren't condemned, but the food rocks.
    The Waffle House I mentioned earlier, on Powerline road in Pompano Beach is absolutely disgusting. One time I went there it was closed due to a roach problem. The service is sometimes terrible and the food isn't all that good either. The coffee is pretty good. For some reason I still eat there. I can't explain why.

The Breakfast Club in Madison Heights is great, but I love the french toast at Detroit one coney on Woodward.

As for Red Hots Coney...eghh.. The owner, Rich, is entertaining at first but then the whole "it's funny to be rude to your customers" just gets annoying. And it's kinda gross when he asks for a kiss from the ladies. Eww.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Original Pancake House. Country Boy on Nine Mile in Hazel Park.
    ^^ This completely.

If you're out west, Beezy's in downtown Ypsilanti is really good.

On the Waffle House issue, it's a huge chain. Most of them are great, and the economical use of space is attractive in itself. But there are definitely a few dogs. The ones in northern Ohio [[there are a few in Toledo now) are owned by the same guy, and they're well run. Maybe they'll take a chance in MI.

Oh and I forgot about Hilton Rd. Cafe - great omelette's and Effie makes the best homemade desserts to take home for later.

My favorites:

Whistle Stop - Birmingham
    The Breakfast Club - Madison Heights

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2