Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

You guys should reread the article. She says that she works out in the gym. She didn't start out to be a charitable social worker in Detroit. But she did get involved with some kids at the gym. That's nice, but she never said that she travels across the Border to help poor kids in Detroit.

Being robbed is traumatic.

I worked in the Dexter-Davison area for a distributor about 25 years ago. We were robbed. There were 4 of us in the SUPPOSEDLY secured building. I was the only female and I too worried about being raped. I didn’t stop worrying about it, until they were gone.

I still have dreams about the robbery every now and then. Sometimes I go a few years without one, but they always come back.

Her story has many similarities to my own experience, except mine was during business hours. Kind of blows the whole theory of time of day as being a factor. I wasn’t alone either. Really doesn’t matter when people break in and they have guns.

Having a gun to your head, being told lay face down on the floor, being ushered to another location…it is absolutely terrifying. I was told to count to 100 and just like her, I counted it more than once.

I would never second guess what she did or why she did it. She did what she did and now she is still alive. That means she did the right thing.

I don’t think she is “ using this incident as an indictment on the viability of the city”. She is skittish about Detroit right now. I don’t blame her.

She isn't using it as a condemnation of Detroit. GOAT is.

If it happened to her, I hope she is alright. Big cities and crime are not acceptable, but it happens and you have to be on guard. Leaving the building [[as she would have had to eventually) at that time of night by yourself is not a good idea in such an area in Detroit, Chicago, New York, etc.

That's a point!
    Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Okay I may sound cynical but so what. It is too bad that this woman from Windsor was robbed in Detroit but Detroiters have been robbed by Detroiters many times over. This happens every day in a poor-ass city. I'm sorry but I can't show more sympathy to this lady because she is from Windsor but I can show sympathy to anyone that are victims to these two-legged rats that roam among us.

I hear you. I am wary of certain areas day or night/ urban and suburban. I don't 'silence' the [[my) caution for the sake of political correctness. Too much is at stake when you do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    Being robbed is traumatic.

I worked in the Dexter-Davison area for a distributor about 25 years ago. We were robbed. There were 4 of us in the SUPPOSEDLY secured building. I was the only female and I too worried about being raped. I didn’t stop worrying about it, until they were gone.

I still have dreams about the robbery every now and then. Sometimes I go a few years without one, but they always come back.

Her story has many similarities to my own experience, except mine was during business hours. Kind of blows the whole theory of time of day as being a factor. I wasn’t alone either. Really doesn’t matter when people break in and they have guns.

Having a gun to your head, being told lay face down on the floor, being ushered to another location…it is absolutely terrifying. I was told to count to 100 and just like her, I counted it more than once.

I would never second guess what she did or why she did it. She did what she did and now she is still alive. That means she did the right thing.

I don’t think she is “ using this incident as an indictment on the viability of the city”. She is skittish about Detroit right now. I don’t blame her.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-21-11 at 11:31 PM.

Not this one. I refuse to be violated for any reasons of defense and or loyalty to the city, rhetorical politeness, or political correctness. Take care and be safe...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    A woman is the victim of a crime and because it happened in Detroit, there is a need on this board to somehow criticize the woman in some sort of defense of Detroit.

I love this board. It is so deliciiously filled with hate for anyone who is not a patriotic, dyed in the wool, kool-aid drinking Detroiter.

I have to agee with SWMAP on this one. Checking out a roof leak in the wee hours?! I'm not buying it.

Geez; tough crowd!

IMO, the reflexive defensiveness is a bit much. Most folks here think she made it up?

Also, it's not like she was in the middle of some war zone and needed Charles Bronson to keep her company. Most of the neighborhoods along Schaefer are some of the healthier in the city, at least in NW Detroit and bordering Dearborn.

I mean, if I buy a home in the University District, and then spend the night alone in my house, am I asking to be assulted or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I mean, if I buy a home in the University District, and then spend the night alone in my house, am I asking to be assulted or something?
    No, but you increase your chances of being a crime victim based on where you go and when you go there.
    Regardless of her desire to watch the roof leak she didn't need to be there at 12:30pm by herself.

I wonder if the macho world of boxing took over and she thought she could handle any situation.
    You wouldn't find me alone in a gym late at night checking for leaks. That's what drains are for.

I wonder how many people on this forum have been robbed. On one occasion, when my roommate was shot, the police station lost all the evidence and asked us to come back in to remake our statements. They missed the bullet casing found in his blood and refused to accept it the next day. We decided for our own personal safety, not to return to the specific police station. After the shooting, I went home and curled up in a ball. Your first instinct is to go somewhere you feel safe, not necessarily a police station.

Even though rape was never discussed, on both occasions I was threatened with a gun, this was still a fear. As a woman, it is always a fear.

As mentioned before, the woman survived. Lets not be critical assholes. To be cliche, you did not walk in her shoes.

Now how the media portrayed it, definitely crap. They have to keep their sponsors happy.

I am one of the readers who has said that iI do not believe this story. And wow, she has already posted it on YouTube!

And I have been attacked and robbed. once by three young Black men outside of Henry Ford Hospital. they knocked me down and took my handbag. They circled me and I was pretty afraid.

Another time, I was sleeping and realized that the back door of my house was being beaten in. It was 3:00 AM. The perpetrator was actually in my house as I was leaving by the front door. He left because neighbors turned on outdoor lights. It was completely terrifying.

And I, too, am always fearful of rape. It seems to be a tactic of young Black males. At least it seems to fairly common in crime reports. As a result, I would not be staying in a commercial building that I don't own in the inner city of Detroit on a dark and stormy midnight to "check for leaks."
    Last edited by SWMAP; April-25-11 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I am one of the readers who has said that iI do not believe this story. And wow, she has already posted it on YouTube!

And I have been attacked and robbed. once by three young Black men outside of Henry Ford Hospital. they knocked me down and took my handbag. They circled me and I was pretty afraid.

Another time, I was sleeping and realized that the back door of my house was being beaten in. It was 3:00 AM. The perpetrator was actually in my house as I was leaving by the front door. He left because neighbors turned on outdoor lights. It was completely terrifying.

And I, too, am always fearful of rape. It seems to be a tactic of young Black males. At least it seems to fairly common in crime reports. As a result, I would not be staying in a commercial building that I don't own in the inner city of Detroit on a dark and stormy midnight to "check for leaks."
    Oh boy.....

There are bank jobs that don't get this much coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    If you look at it, it's not on Youtube. It's on the website of the radio station that she works for.

No, the video about her harrowing experience in Detroit is right up there on youtube in two parts, along with videos of some of her fights.

Anyone can post on Youtube. What difference does it make?

Fuck, you people are just impossible. Enjoy your city.

Don't buy it either...

The men were wearing tuques, hoodies and bandannas. They had guns.
    “They just came in and they had them pointed,” said Ro. “Almost like you see in the movies. They came in and they had their arms straight out pointing at you and they were screaming ‘get on the ground.’”

Sounds too fabricated, why if they are robbing a place at midnight when they expect it to be empty would they come in guns drawn wearing masks? Sounds like something she might have seen in a movie.... also, three guys with guns are going to rob a kids gym??? I know most criminals are stupid but a kids gym? not one of them thought it might be better to find a better place to rob?

and staying to check for roof leaks? so the roof starts leaking... is she gonna get up on the roof with a hot mop and tar the hole? whats she gonna do at midnight when there is a roof leak....

way too fishy.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3