Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Okay, whatever; you believe what you like. Just because they didn't say 'We're going to rape you bitch' that makes it all okay. She had no reason to be afraid, and the whole thing is a hoax. I'm so glad that you made me see the error of my ways.
    Next time someone grabs your wallet, kicks you in the nuts or punches you in the face, if they didn't say they were going to do it, there's nothing to be afraid of.
    Or I guess my reading comprehension skills are just better? If they wanted to rape her then they would have. But they obviously did not, nor is she explicitly quoted in the article as saying that they threatened to rape her.

I'm not saying that she didn't have a right to be scared, but how she handled the situation was just not smart at all. Being able to react appropriately in situations where your life is in danger is oftentimes the difference between life and death.

My reading comprehension levels are quite good, thank you; what you are refusing to see is that regardless of whether or not they threatened to rape her, she was afraid they would. She had no clue UNTIL THEY WERE GONE that they weren't going to rape, maim or kill her. Who the hell cares if she was 'explicitely quoted' that they threatened to rape her? She reacted in a way that most people would react; leave, get the hell out of Dodge, beat feet, motor. Leave the area before they come back. I don't give a shit if she was in Detroit, Windsor or London; if three men hold a gun to your head and make movements like they may rape and kill you, you don't stick around afterward to see if they'll come back and follow through. She did react appropriately by leaving. She called the cops when she got home. If she had lived in Dearborn, would you be saying she shouldn't have gone home? I doubt it. She just wanted to be safe and home is where she felt safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Or I guess my reading comprehension skills are just better? If they wanted to rape her then they would have. But they obviously did not, nor is she explicitly quoted in the article as saying that they threatened to rape her.

I'm not saying that she didn't have a right to be scared, but how she handled the situation was just not smart at all. Being able to react appropriately in situations where your life is in danger is oftentimes the difference between life and death.

A woman is the victim of a crime and because it happened in Detroit, there is a need on this board to somehow criticize the woman in some sort of defense of Detroit.

I love this board. It is so deliciiously filled with hate for anyone who is not a patriotic, dyed in the wool, kool-aid drinking Detroiter.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    My reading comprehension levels are quite good, thank you;
    LOL. I didn't say that your reading comprehension levels aren't good. I just said that maybe mine are better. Yours can be good and maybe mine are great.

what you are refusing to see is that regardless of whether or not they threatened to rape her, she was afraid they would. She had no clue UNTIL THEY WERE GONE that they weren't going to rape, maim or kill her. Who the hell cares if she was 'explicitely quoted' that they threatened to rape her? She reacted in a way that most people would react; leave, get the hell out of Dodge, beat feet, motor. Leave the area before they come back. I don't give a shit if she was in Detroit, Windsor or London; if three men hold a gun to your head and make movements like they may rape and kill you, you don't stick around afterward to see if they'll come back and follow through. She did react appropriately by leaving. She called the cops when she got home. If she had lived in Dearborn, would you be saying she shouldn't have gone home? I doubt it. She just wanted to be safe and home is where she felt safe.
    I fully understood her when she described her fear that they might rape her during the robbery. But what does that have to do with her not calling the police after they left the building? It's like being afraid of a tornado after the severe thunderstorm cells have moved on to the next county.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    A woman is the victim of a crime and because it happened in Detroit, there is a need on this board to somehow criticize the woman in some sort of defense of Detroit.

I love this board. It is so deliciiously filled with hate for anyone who is not a patriotic, dyed in the wool, kool-aid drinking Detroiter.
    Imagine that, Detroit boosters defending Detroit on a forum named Detroityes. Who'da thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I take it you didn't see the article in the print copy of the Detroit News regarding the Chinese student that was killed in Toronto. I guess we should condemn all of Toronto.
    EXACTLY. Why is it that whenever something bad happens in Detroit, the entire city gets painted as a hell hole? This city is MASSIVE. The area where this shit happened and where I live in the city might as well be different planets. Those guys that did this are POS assholes, but this lady was in the 'hood working with poor people. It's not that she deserved this, but you're an idiot if you think you're completely safe hanging out in a bad area, alone, on a dark and stormy night. A wise man once said, "If you superglue your ass cheeks to a glory hole, don't expect to not get F***ED."

The fact is, this is a basic property crime in a rough part of town. It's one of those times where the bad guys run into another human while trying to rip off some gym equipment. They didn't hurt that lady, they didn't rape her, they probably didn't even expect her to be there. All they wanted to do was to steal shit without getting caught, so they made her sit in the bathroom while they loaded up the flat screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    So she drove all the way back to Canada before calling police? Thats pretty stupid. Afraid or not....just stop at the local police station and report it while it's fresh in your head.
    Has DPD begun to do police work?

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post

Your rant is only proof that this was a stupid thread to start off with. Let's see, a woman from Windsor gets robbed in Detroit. Oh gosh, Windsorites are suppose to immune to the dangers of Detroit because they are not from Detroit. Not..... As I stated in a previous post, Detroiters are robbed everyday. I don't want to see anyone robbed and have their lives threatened but it is a cold world and no one is immune to the violence regardless of their area code.

Obviously this Canadian woman doesn't understand how to properly be victimized in Detroit. I hope this discussion on DYes will help others from outside the city to better know how to be a victim. There's a strict protocall that's to be followed here, if you don't know how to be held up at gunpoint then you probably shouldn't come here. Detroit is for polished victims, not amateurs. It's best you just stay in Windsor or West Bloomfield if you can't rise to the level of victimhood required by our gritty city's thuggery.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    . A wise man once said, "If you superglue your ass cheeks to a glory hole, don't expect to not get F***ED."
    Who is this wise man so that I may follow him?

Well, this was the best 'Blame the Victim' thread EVER.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    EXACTLY. Why is it that whenever something bad happens in Detroit, the entire city gets painted as a hell hole? This city is MASSIVE. The area where this shit happened and where I live in the city might as well be different planets. Those guys that did this are POS assholes, but this lady was in the 'hood working with poor people. It's not that she deserved this, but you're an idiot if you think you're completely safe hanging out in a bad area, alone, on a dark and stormy night. A wise man once said, "If you superglue your ass cheeks to a glory hole, don't expect to not get F***ED."
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you live in the Potemkin Village that is downtown and midtown?

The problem is the bad areas are virtually THE ENTIRE REST OF THE CITY. Any detached building is generally unsafe. The vast majority of the city is "the 'hood" as you call it. And she wasn't "hanging out"; she wasn't on a street corner. She was in a building. This building was not an after-hours club, drug house, blind-pig, or brothel.

Since we've all decided to shit on Toronto and make the dubious claim that it is somehow like Detroit, in 2007 the homicide rate for the city of Toronto was 3.3 per 100,000 people, yet for Detroit it was 33.8.

I like Detroit; I live in Detroit. Because I like Detroit, I am mad as hell about the crime rate and find it totally unacceptable. I will not make excuses or blame the victim like the rest of the Detroit boosters here.

Way to call her an idiot, by the way. Really classy.

I do not believe this story. Why did anyone leave a woman alone in a building at night. It's just not done. People see each other to their cars safely. She was staying late to see if the roof would leak? And then what? Obviously, a leak would be obvious in the morning when it could be fixed. And maybe I' m wring, but I didn't see that she is the building owner, which makes the leak watch even more curious.

Iheartthed, Planner, Jt1 et al.

What you fail to comprehend is that a person doing CHARITY work gets robbed yet again in Detroit! You people then make excuses. That to me is indicative of the whole fucking city! There is a reason as to why the city is in the top 3 for crime year in and year out! You people making excuses don't help the matter.

I don't need to point out that a foreign visitor to your city was robbed and therefore I shouldn't paint the whole city. The fucking crime rate already does that for you! In almost all categories, Detroit is in the top 3!

Please tell me what "neighbourhoods" [[a block or two don't count) don't experience this type crime on a weekly basis? [[I used the term neighbourhood loosely because Detroit doesn't have many of those left and no one really looks out for each other anymore).

As for comparing Detroit to Toronto? Please, the straw man isn't going to work here. You people can't face the fact that you are losing the battle. Instead of defending this shit by comparing to cities that have had one off instances to Detroit perhaps Detroiters should muster up some balls and take back your city from these criminal parasites.

I will address the police as well. Why bother when even I know the pricks don't show up quickly to begin with. Finding a precinct isn't the easiest when many are closed or the lights on the streets don't work. Plus their "success" rate for convictions is disgustingly low.

For the rest on this thread that understand where I was coming from when I posted it; at least there are some here who won't make excuses. For the those like R8RBob...fuuuuck yoouuu!

I'm tired of defending the city and I like Detroit as well. So lets do what the others have done and just say she is lying [[right SWMAP?), other cities have "problems" and either stick our heads in the sand or as some obviously do here; up their own asses.
    Last edited by GOAT; April-21-11 at 05:24 PM.

Yes, this story is fabricated. For attention; for a cover - I don't know why. But I think she is involved with someone she shouldn't be at the gym and she needed a reason why she came home late.
    Let's see if the Detroit papers pick this up and what the police response is.

This story is to me, an excellent example of how journalism today isn't worthy of being printed on the bathroom tissue available in public restrooms.

First off, I have no reason to doubt her story. I am sorry for her experience and hope she can come back for the kids & continue to help them. Maybe she can help mentor some to keep them on the right path. The thugs who pulled this could likely have used better guidance in their lives. If you give up, they win. Never give up.

As for the article... this is clearly written by someone as a scare tactic. Yes, it happened in Detroit. No, it didn't happen in Windsor. Could it have happened in Windsor? Sure. I highly doubt the article would have been written the same if this had occurred elsewhere. As it is, it seems what the average Windsorite is led to believe from this article is that if you go to Detroit, you will probably be raped. That she was fortunate they didn't rape her, but Detroiters are a group you can expect to rape Canadian women. Is rape relevant? No, but it is mentioned four times.

It's a trash artcle.

"When Good Samaritans start to question Detroit demise then I believe the city has hit it's point of no return."

C'mon GOAT...give us a break....this article is shit and you know it. It has many flaws. I respect your opinion most of time but I found that you starting this thread was just a way to cry out loud.

Oh my gosh, a good samaritan was in the hood and something bad happened...this city must be fucked....this could never happen in any other major city....

Can we rent handguns to Canadians coming to Detroit?

lilpup Guest

I guess it doesn't matter as much when Charitable Detroiters or Charitable Michiganders are crime victims.

The thread title is inflammatory.

Strange. While most of you have got all up in arms defending your city againts GOATs statement, you've gone ahead and confirmed what he said by blaming this victim.
    In a nut shell, you've said "she had it comin'"
    or, if you prefer
    "If you superglue your ass cheeks to a glory hole, don't expect to not get F***ED." Nice! Best defense of the city I've read so far.

If this had happened to a native Detroiter, I doubt these claims of the story being false, or for some personal gain would even be surfacing. As a matter of fact.......most of you would be going on and on about what a third world country Detroit has become, and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Yes, this story is fabricated. For attention; for a cover - I don't know why. But I think she is involved with someone she shouldn't be at the gym and she needed a reason why she came home late.
    Let's see if the Detroit papers pick this up and what the police response is.
    I agree, this might be the oddest story I've ever seen.

We're to believe that she was training at midnight, everyone else leaves, it then starts to rain and she decides to keep an eye on the roof leaks?
    Superior Fish in RO smells less fishy than her story does.

Iheartthed, Planner, Jt1 et al.

What you fail to comprehend is that a person doing CHARITY work gets robbed yet again in Detroit! You people then make excuses. That to me is indicative of the whole fucking city! There is a reason as to why the city is in the top 3 for crime year in and year out! You people making excuses don't help the matter.
    Oh for christ sakes, I'm surpised your soapbox hasn't worn down you're on it so often. I never made excuses nor did I blame the victim. I was pointing out how annoying you are that whenever there is a crime you get on your soapbox and preach to everyone.

I don't need to point out that a foreign visitor to your city was robbed and therefore I shouldn't paint the whole city. The fucking crime rate already does that for you! In almost all categories, Detroit is in the top 3!
    I get it. You;re outrgaged that someone from out of town was a victim. Of course you never shed one of your crocodile tears for the residents that are victims everyday. Nobody should have to deal with this however your selective preaching typically ignores those in the community that live there, work to improve the community day in and day out and are victimized.

Please tell me what "neighbourhoods" [[a block or two don't count) don't experience this type crime on a weekly basis? [[I used the term neighbourhood loosely because Detroit doesn't have many of those left and no one really looks out for each other anymore).
    More of your bs soapbox bullshit. "and no one really looks out for each other anymore" - Maybe you should actually get into the neoghborhoods and actually interact with people. Are the majority of neighborhoods decimated? Yes. Are there still thousands and thousands of people that are fighting to improve their neighborhood and look out for their neighbors? Absolutely. Your dismissive attitude towards all of those people is why your preaching is so fucking annoying. Cry for the Windsorite being a victim [[and she should never have to go through this) but then ignore the people in the communities that volunteer and still deal with this. This making you a preachy hypocrite in my book.

As for comparing Detroit to Toronto? Please, the straw man isn't going to work here. You people can't face the fact that you are losing the battle. Instead of defending this shit by comparing to cities that have had one off instances to Detroit perhaps Detroiters should muster up some balls and take back your city from these criminal parasites.
    I was not comparing the cities. I was pointing out the stupidity of you condemning an entire city and its residents when there is a crime. My point was that you conveniently do that with Detroit [[by making statements that no one really looks out for each other) but would never do that elsewhere. It's unfortuante that you couldn't understand that.

The city has many issues and it is getting worse. I agree with you there. Then you go on to state, "Detroiters should muster up some balls and take back your city from these criminal parasites." which conveniently ignores the neighborhood groups, the non-profits and the thousands and thousands of citizens that are trying to just that. Nice of you to dismiss their efforts.

I will address the police as well. Why bother when even I know the pricks don't show up quickly to begin with. Finding a precinct isn't the easiest when many are closed or the lights on the streets don't work. Plus their "success" rate for convictions is disgustingly low.
    So you fault the citizens in one breath then admit the DPD is ineffective in another. I'm sure you're smart enought to understand what may happen when people "muster up some balls and take back your city from these criminal parasites" but have no protection or enforcement from DPD. I'm sure you have the balls to deal with the situations that may occur.

I'm tired of defending the city and I like Detroit as well. So lets do what the others have done and just say she is lying [[right SWMAP?), other cities have "problems" and either stick our heads in the sand or as some obviously do here; up their own asses.
    I feel bad she dealt with this and it should never happen regardless of the circumstance. That doesn't change the fact that you are a preachy hypocrite.
    Last edited by jt1; April-21-11 at 08:40 PM. Reason: removed calling GOAT a retard due to his lack of basic reading comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    Strange. While most of you have got all up in arms defending your city againts GOATs statement, you've gone ahead and confirmed what he said by blaming this victim.
    In a nut shell, you've said "she had it comin'"
    or, if you prefer
    "If you superglue your ass cheeks to a glory hole, don't expect to not get F***ED." Nice! Best defense of the city I've read so far.

If this had happened to a native Detroiter, I doubt these claims of the story being false, or for some personal gain would even be surfacing. As a matter of fact.......most of you would be going on and on about what a third world country Detroit has become, and you know it.
    Actually people have called bs on many Detroiters. My issue is that Goat never preaches when something happens to a Detroiter. He seems to think that Detroiters have it coming for being dumb enough to live in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you live in the Potemkin Village that is downtown and midtown?

The problem is the bad areas are virtually THE ENTIRE REST OF THE CITY. Any detached building is generally unsafe. The vast majority of the city is "the 'hood" as you call it. And she wasn't "hanging out"; she wasn't on a street corner. She was in a building. This building was not an after-hours club, drug house, blind-pig, or brothel.

Since we've all decided to shit on Toronto and make the dubious claim that it is somehow like Detroit, in 2007 the homicide rate for the city of Toronto was 3.3 per 100,000 people, yet for Detroit it was 33.8.

I like Detroit; I live in Detroit. Because I like Detroit, I am mad as hell about the crime rate and find it totally unacceptable. I will not make excuses or blame the victim like the rest of the Detroit boosters here.

Way to call her an idiot, by the way. Really classy.
    My point has nothing to do with this woman, it goes way beyond this one incident. I feel bad for her if this actually happened. The crime rate is ridiculous and there's no excuse for it, but crime is not a Detroit-specific anomaly, however, the way crime gets reported about Detroit is an anomaly. This city gets trashed, constantly, without any backlash. If this shit had happened in D.C., Baltimore, East St. Louis, South Bronx, Compton, or Chicago's Southside, nobody would ever paint those cities as "3rd world." Whenever anything happens in Detroit, though, even in the worst areas, people are quick to shit all over everything.

BTW, I sure do live in downtown and Midtown, but, no, they are not a "Potemkin Village." Is the Loop in Chicago a Potemkin Village? Perhaps you think every surviving area in Detroit is a fucking Potemkin Village. How about Indian Village? It even has "Village" in the name, so perhaps people that live there aren't REAL Detroiters because their neighborhood isn't blighted enough for you. I suppose I have to live in Brightmoore between an empty lot and a crack house to be considered a true resident of this town.

It's sad that there are places in the world where you can't feel safe alone after dark, but that's just the way it is. If you're a lone woman hanging out in an empty building in East St. Louis in the middle of the night, you're probably also a fool. She should have had someone stay with her if she wanted to stick around at Midnight. It's not like she didn't understand the dangers. She was working with impoverished kids in a sketchy neighborhood and got unlucky that some assholes decided to rob a place they no doubt thought was empty. They had no issue with her. They didn't rough her up, or molest her. They just wanted to get the fucking flat screens and to get the hell out of there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast