Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I agree with both sides of this issue. On the one hand, I grew up not too far from this 'hood, and it was a gym for kids. Why should she be afraid?

On the other hand, yes, we ought to be honest that incidents like this could theoretically happen anywhere, but are statistically less likely in places like Windsor. There is a bad element who is ravaging the old neighborhoods on the near West side, and it's gotten much worse over the past decade or so.

Also, as a lone woman, I don't stay alone in unsecured buildings at night anywhere, not even in "safe" towns. Once at U-M, a student of mine and I ran into what we think was a homeless man who broke into the departmental office suite [[old building, back entrance). We were returning to my office after an evening class, and it was scary simply because when were switched on the lights, the man ran and slammed a back door... we weren't expecting it.
    Last edited by English; April-21-11 at 09:23 AM.