Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by courtney View Post
    They've set the date for Beth Olem for May 7, 10am-1pm.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate this year.
    Thanks, Courtney! Yes, hopefully good weather as CRR, WSC, and O2 cycling clubs will be riding there.

I can't believe that a cemetery would be open but a few hours a year. But then, I'm pretty much an athiest, so God is telling me to shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I can't believe that a cemetery would be open but a few hours a year. But then, I'm pretty much an athiest, so God is telling me to shut up.
    The whole thing blows peoples minds when I tell them about it. For some reason, the restricted access cemetery "taken over" by a for-profit corporation bothers people more than an entire neighborhood being demolished for the same purpose.

I'm honestly happy that attendance has been increasing in the past couple of years. I have a feeling that GM [[or at least some of their more pathetic security people) would LOVE to stop these twice yearly visits if they could, and as more of those who knew those buried in the cemetery die, they might use non-attendance as an excuse. So, despite not knowing anyone buried in the cemetery, we'll continually to go every time it's open. If only to add to the 5k+ photos I've taken there over the years.

Bumping this, it will be open next Sunday.

Tomorrow is the day, everyone! Be prepared for a muddy swamp at the entrance [[bring extra shoes if you have plans to go anywhere after) and remember not to let the surly security guards spoil the day. [[Just think of it as "fun" when one yells at you because they don't like the instructions another security guard gives you. Adds to the ambiance.)

Hi Courtney, I'm planning on going and would like to meet up with you. What time do you think you'll be there?

Quote Originally Posted by Margarite View Post
    Hi Courtney, I'm planning on going and would like to meet up with you. What time do you think you'll be there?
    Yay! I'm aiming to be there no later than 10:30 and we'll probably not leave until almost 1.

If anyone else is going and wants to say hi, I'll probably be the only one under 40 with a cane and a camera, possibly also trying to juggle the cemetery index and a notepad at the same time. [[Along with a likely bored looking 14 year old boy and my equally bored husband)

Just received word that Beth Olem will be open this Sunday, the 17th of September, 10am-2pm.

The weather [[so far) looks like it will be beautiful, so hopefully there will be a good turnout.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2