Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Aren't you supposed to be at a Bar Mitzvah right now??
    What is that supposed to imply?

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    It's much more likely that this person is a Xian and not an MOT [[member of the tribe). =)
    Yeah, I know... he's just so one sided... I couldn't help it...

The liquor stores and strip clubs were up and running in Dearborn in Feb when I drove up from Charlotte, NC to visit.

Malcove, not dumping on you, but who keeps bringing up creeping sharia law in America? X-shins and others on the far Right.

Dearborn is not governed by Sharia law. The Dearborn Police enforce state and local laws that are not mandated by the Quran, but rather, our good, old fashioned lawmakers. Yes, speaking Arabic is a skill that many police officers have because it helps them serve all members of the community but their bilingualism does not mean that they are giving an Islamic sermon to the people in need of assistance as they write out the police report. Police Chief Haddad is an excellent example of an Arab American who is well integrated into American culture and the Arab American community in Dearborn as are my students, co-workers and friends. The people that claim this is a city of sharia law are xenophobic idiots.

Agreed. I am engaged in that community at many levels and most Arabs in Dearborn are Muslim and the majority of the ones I've interacted with are into the "American" dream and materialism, educating themselves, their children and engaging in commercial commerce at multiple levels...
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I'm pretty sure the majority of the people of Mideastern descent in the Detroit area are Christian, but I believe the majority in Dearborn are Muslim, though there are numerous Christians here also. The idea of Sharia law in Dearborn is ridiculous...I live in Dearborn, near a mosque. It is so mainstream that girl scouts sell cookies out of its parking lot on weekends. Every Arab immigrant I've ever met just wants what immigrants have wanted for 200 years -- to become Americans.

Rep. Leo Berman: Not intended to be a real Congressman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yeah, I know... he's just so one sided... I couldn't help it...
    Are you implying Jewish people are one sided? Countering Islamaphobia with antisemitism is a sick way to go about discussing this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2