Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The only time I've ever been hit by a car while riding a bike was when I was riding on the sidewalk. As some have conjectured would happen, a car that was turning right didn't see me [[even though I had a clear walk signal) and the car broadsided me. Let's just say it wasn't a pleasant experience and I no longer ride on the sidewalk. That being said, riding in the street is almost as frustrating, as motorists seem to get irate at the notion of a bicyclist in the road. I've had people tailgate me, honk, yell, and even throw cans!

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    ProfessorScott, this is what I'm talking about: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&q=De...46.85,,0,12.05

Woodward was't even that busy [[traffic-wise) when this streetview was captured, but I can tell you that dealing with situations like the above is common when riding down Woodward. It is nerve-racking, especially when the armored car is behind you and is being driven by a psycho doing 50 mph in an Escalade while talking on his cell phone.

From what I see, Woodward has a dedicated parking lane on the extreme right next to the curb. You have a right to ride in that lane and pass the parked cars, as needed. Check for passengers in the parked cars - the sudden door opening problem - and check over your shoulder for overtaking cars. Riding on the sidewalk can be a death sentence, when crossing a side street or drive. Although the law requires a driver to stop at the sidewalk before proceeding with a turn, most drivers just blast there way on through without looking. They are fixated on the cars that they expect in the street. This fixation will cause them to see you in the street. As far as car drivers being to close, why are they using a parking lane as a through lane? Discretion is the better part of valor. If the road does not feel safe, then don't ride it. My brother has a helmet with a rear view mirror. A mountain bike can jump a curve to save your ass. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    You'll find the law written the same in many places.

"bicycle riding is prohibited on sidewalks"
    "when bicycle riding on sidewalks yield to pedestrians"

Why so ambiguous? Because only in an accident someone has to be fault and ticketed, otherwise you'd likely never be cited. It's not an ordinance cities are typically interested in enforcing unless for conflict resolution

Just be careful, sidewalks are for pedestrians not bikes. Also keep in mind it will wear more on your bike. Your chances of a bicycle-car collision at an intersection increase dramatically when riding on sidewalks too Buy lights so motorists can see you.
    NYC actually does consistently enforce the no bikes on sidewalks ordinance, especially in the business districts. There are a lot of messengers and delivery services that use bicycles and they would abuse the situation if not for threat of citation by the police.

Detroit is a cyclists paradise. Flat and light traffic. Cycling on the street always is a little intimidating at the outset, however, keeping your place on the road and keeping your wits about you you'll find little trouble. Always follow traffic signs and laws as well as moving with the other vehicles is the safest option.

I just got back to the CBD after riding to Midtown- went up Brush and John R- crossed Woodward at Canfield. Not a bad ride at all- actually very enjoyable. The sides streets were definitely easier for me than Woodward. Far less traffic, slower speeds, less congestion, fewer driveways, and only a handful of parked cars.

To be honest, I don't think it's a big deal to bike on the sidewalks if you are respectful to pedestrians and careful at crosswalks [[such as slowing down, and making sure it's clear before crossing). I do some recreational bike riding on sidewalks and do both of these things. It can be potentially dangerous to traverse a crosswalk on foot if you're not careful, so I don't think it's a biker-only problem.

I was just in Washington DC, and everybody seemed to ride bikes on the sidewalks in the central part of town. I don't blame them either considering the aggressive drivers and traffic I saw on the streets.

Personally, I'd rather be cautious when using crosswalks than dealing with cars angrily whizzing past me.

I've been riding bikes on both sidewalks and streets for several decades now, and I'm still alive to talk about it, so that must mean I've been doing a few things right.

My bottom line is I'm not going to let anybody tell me I have to ride here or can't ride there; I'm going to use common sense and ride where I feel the safest. As a general rule, for me I've found that means in the street only on the type of street that has a speed limit of 25 mph or less. 30 and over = on the sidewalk. And I don't care if there's a bike lane available or not. That's not the point. The point is the speed of the cars, the traffic conditions, and the width of the road. I also have no qualms about riding the "wrong" way - especially if I'm on a sidewalk. That way you can see who's about to make a right turn into your path. [[You'd just better make sure you make eye contact with anyone who's approaching on any street or driveway to your left, or ride around behind their vehicles, because people making right turns don't usually look to their rights).

Ultimately, as a bike rider, your safety is your responsibility and it is your primary responsibility. You have to assume at all times that you are invisible to car drivers - because, in most cases you are, and even if you aren't a lot of them will drive as if they were blind anyway!
    Last edited by EMG; April-13-11 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    To be honest, I don't think it's a big deal to bike on the sidewalks if you are respectful to pedestrians ....
    Exactly. Always remember that they have the right of way, and as a courtesy sound a horn while you are still WELL behind them - so they have plenty of advance warning while you are far enough away that your horn doesn't scare the bejeezus out of them.

And it's also a good idea to have lights on your bike - ideally flashing lights which are visible from longer distances - when riding in the dark. That helps both pedestrians AND drivers see you - if they're watching for you, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    I've been riding bikes on both sidewalks and streets for several decades now, and I'm still alive to talk about it, so that must mean I've been doing a few things right.

My bottom line is I'm not going to let anybody tell me I have to ride here or can't ride there; I'm going to use common sense and ride where I feel the safest. As a general rule, for me I've found that means in the street only on the type of street that has a speed limit of 25 mph or less. 30 and over = on the sidewalk. And I don't care if there's a bike lane available or not. That's not the point. The point is the speed of the cars, the traffic conditions, and the width of the road. I also have no qualms about riding the "wrong" way - especially if I'm on a sidewalk. That way you can see who's about to make a right turn into your path. [[You'd just better make sure you make eye contact with anyone who's approaching on any street or driveway to your left, or ride around behind their vehicles, because people making right turns don't usually look to their rights).

Ultimately, as a bike rider, your safety is your responsibility and it is your primary responsibility. You have to assume at all times that you are invisible to car drivers - because, in most cases you are, and even if you aren't a lot of them will drive as if they were blind anyway!
    As this advice is several decades outdated, I suggest you follow the current Michigan laws: http://www.m-bike.org/blog/laws and these lifesaving tips: http://bicyclesafe.com/

There's nothing about EMG's advice that's outdated; it's very sound and still legally accurate. The last change to the bicycle part of the Michigan Vehicle Code made it clear that bicyclists can use either the street, a bicycle path, or the sidewalk at their discretion, unless the local jurisdiction has passed an ordinance prohibiting sidewalk operation, and posts signs. Of course the street is still the most effective and safest place to ride, but I occasionally use the sidewalk where the street is unattractive for some reason and the sidewalk is not crossed by driveways or heavily trafficked by pedestrians.

I use this approach, and I've been unkilled now for 45 years of riding. As with many riders, the only time I got hit was on the sidewalk, at driveways.

A bell is a polite way to warn pedestrians, if you do it some distance behnd them as noted above. Makes the encounter smoother for both parties. [[Someday one of those bike twinks is going to startle me so badly by shouting, "On your left!" two feet behind me that I'm gonna swerve and clobber him.) Oddly, the Vehicle Code no longer requires a bell, but I would not be without one for the times when I must use sidewalks. Likewise a light and fenders.

I'm glad that BrushStart is discovering the side streets are a good alternative to Woodward or Jefferson. I would not ride those streets if any side street were available, regardless of the density of lowlifes. This is the beauty of Detroit's highly-redundant street system: there is always another way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhouse View Post
    There's nothing about EMG's advice that's outdated; it's very sound and still legally accurate.
    Nope, it's ridiculously outdated and completely removes you from the uniformity of predicatable traffic patterns. I suggestion reading "What Every Michigan Bicyclist Must Know" pages 8-13 http://www.henryford.com/documents/P...ist%20Info.pdf
    Sure you can point out the legality of such acts, and on that note, non-assisted sucide is also legal.

Happy as I am that EMG and Sandhouse are still alive, Russix's advice is correct and they are not optimizing their chances of remaining alive in the future.

Don't bike on the sidewalk:

I'll be joining the CBD bicyclists soon. It's been years since I've been on a bike, so for now, I'm going to stick with the Riverwalk and the Dequindre Cut. Six years watching bicycle mishaps in A2 have made me nervous about drivers' respect for cyclists [[and to be fair, some cyclists' common sense).

I remember growing up on the northeast side in the 60-70's, we used to ride on the sidewalks. When you would turn 10, you could ride in the street, only if you had a permission slip from your parents. We used to tape them in our handlbars, so if a cop would stop us, we could take the handlegrips off the bars and show the note. Looking back, was that a law, or worse, a law from your parents? All the kids on our block did the same thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2