Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I doubt there's anything that gives us as skewed a perception of what we're doing as driving a car. Statistically speaking, something like 95 percent of U.S. motorists believe they are better than most other drivers on the road. These numbers don't approach delusional thinking; they define it.

Or, as the late, great Saint Carlin expressed it:

"Ever notice how somebody who's driving slower than you is an 'asshole'? And anybody driving faster than you is a 'maniac'? Like, 'Oh, man, now I'm stuck behind this asshole. Holy shit, would you look at that maniac?'"

On my drives on the expressway I set the cruise for 72.5.

Keeps me ahead of the slow drivers, lets the speed packs pass me on the left. Occasionally I may end up waiting behind a slow driver while the pack zooms past.
    Many times I find I have the road to myself for a few miles till the next pack zooms by.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Not really, If I was on a freeway full of tailgaters, I would leave it for the principal arterials. I am sure a lot of folks would. 60 mph is the sweet spot where the fuel economy is the greatest and pollution is at its minimum. On principals you can't travel that fast thus you are less efficient. With agressive drivers surrounding you, one is forced to brake and punch the gas pedal more and that drags down your efficency as well. I am at least considerate and don't hog the left lane, it makes my life less stressful.

Faster speed limits also reward those who want to live far away from where they work.
    You save 10-15% going 60 MPH and 20-40% driving 10 or less feet behind the car in front of you. Not saying it's practical, just factual. Mythbusters yo!

Well, at least they gave a warning. However, our freeways are pretty safe except for the occasional idiot or DUI. There are more fatals on surface and secondary streets by far, and most are caused by improper turns. But, whaddahell, the state and municipalities can use the money. Just follow the speed limits and you'll be okay. On my cross-country drives, I set the cruise control at 2 miles under the posted limit and stay in the right lane. And watch for speed reductions/construction like a hawk, and do what it says.

Hay Ray,

So your the guy I am passing. you set it for 2 under, I set the cruise 2 over.
    I like my system better. sorry.

Yeah, but I'm retired and have all day to get where I'm going. Sometimes I just sit and watch the grass grow. You'll get to that point some day too.

Quote Originally Posted by wvernon View Post
    I'm with you Brian. Obstructing traffic in the passing lane. The self-involved "keepers of the speed" are what cause the accidents by creating bottlenecks. Detroit drivers are by far the worst in this regard of anywhere I've lived. Immediately move to the left, turn on cell phone, turn off brain.
    Exactly. I always wondered how traffic jams happen. If there is a construction zone I can understand, but a traffic jam just to look at a cop that has someone pulled over and slowing down 30 mph because of it is uncalled for. And then you have those people that get in the left lane and drive the speed limit when everyone in the Detroit area knows that if you are in the left lane on a Detroit freeway you should be doing at least 80 mph.

Problem with raising the speed is when things go wrong it is a horror no one wants. Many parts of the Autobahn have a speed limit, plus they have much more sophisticated traffic control.

And then you have those people that get in the left lane and drive the speed limit when everyone in the Detroit area knows that if you are in the left lane on a Detroit freeway you should be doing at least 80 mph.
    Wrong again.

You should never be doing more than the posted limit in any lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Wrong again.

...Ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

Well, If you're worried about this little bit of speed enforcement, You haven't seen anything yet.

I predict speeding will be completely eliminated within 25 years. The auto companies and the federal government are working on Vehicle to vehicle communication. Soon, all new cars will be required to have a vehicle to vehicle communication module. The system will report your cars VIN, current location, speed and direction.

This information will be continuously broadcast in the open as your car speeds down the road. An officer will be able to just pick up your V2V transmission and issue a ticket. In other words your car will be turning you in.

I'm sure cities will just put V2V receivers on the light poles and automatically issue tickets based on V2V communications.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    I predict speeding will be completely eliminated within 25 years. The auto companies and the federal government are working on Vehicle to vehicle communication. Soon, all new cars will be required to have a vehicle to vehicle communication module. The system will report your cars VIN, current location, speed and direction.
    I don't see them putting this on my '92 Buick or '79 Dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Well, If you're worried about this little bit of speed enforcement, You haven't seen anything yet.

This information will be continuously broadcast in the open as your car speeds down the road. An officer will be able to just pick up your V2V transmission and issue a ticket. In other words your car will be turning you in.

I'm sure cities will just put V2V receivers on the light poles and automatically issue tickets based on V2V communications.
    Is the intended purpose of this for something like TCAS? It could also be used to coordinate drafting for fuel efficiency.

An officer will be able to just pick up your V2V transmission and issue a ticket. In other words your car will be turning you in.
    And how will they verify WHO was driving? Should the registered owner get the ticket if their snot-nosed teenaged kid swiped the car for the night? If the car was stolen before the owner had a chance to report it?

This technology won't be the end to speeding, but road-to-vehicle sensors will be at some future point. There have already been driverless vehicles tested in many places where the vehicle reads sensors embedded in the road to control lane placement, distance from other vehicles and speed.

But also as noted above, there will be no way to retrofit older vehicles, so this will be many years in the future. Older vehicles will have to die off and be replaced or be banned from certain roads for this to work.

And how will they verify WHO was driving? Should the registered owner get the ticket if their snot-nosed teenaged kid swiped the car for the night? If the car was stolen before the owner had a chance to report it?
    Ever hear of red light cameras, in other states? No driver identification necessary. Ticket issued to owner.

Yup. And their accuracy has been called in to question. Not too long ago, I read about one city tossing thousands of them out of court due to problems.

Others have been challenged on the same principle I mentioned and the tickets tossed.

Amazing technology, those red light cameras. Indeed,the ticket is mailed to the owner, same as a parking ticket.
    And with that ticket- a very clear picture of the driver.

Wrong again.

So in other words, you're the self proclaimed "keeper of the speed". Thanks for the daily traffic jams. You must have been beat up a lot when you were a child, or you wouldn't get off on imposing your will on others. I'm sure it's the only time you feel any sense of authority in your life.

And with that ticket- a very clear picture of the driver.
    Not always, which is partially why so many get tossed out. Among other technical failures.

Lol....You're calling someone the "keeper of the speed" because they're interested in doing the legal limit ?....and he's imposing his will by doing so ? By the way, I'm the guy in the blue pick-up who doesn't care if you're on my rear end or not....in fact, I can barely see you. I might even tap my brakes at your sorry ass, if I think you're a bit too close.

Quote Originally Posted by wvernon View Post
    So in other words, you're the self proclaimed "keeper of the speed". Thanks for the daily traffic jams. You must have been beat up a lot when you were a child, or you wouldn't get off on imposing your will on others. I'm sure it's the only time you feel any sense of authority in your life.
    Technically no one should be driving [[slow or fast) in the left lane it is for PASSING only!

Redford Twp. had their finest out in full force along Telegraph yesterday afternoon. On a 1 mile stretch, I saw 4 cars pulled over by different offices.

Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    I don't see them putting this on my '92 Buick or '79 Dodge.
    Why do you think I said within 25 years. Eventually both your Buick and Dodge will be recycled into new cars. [[Trust me, It will be much sooner than you will want to admit.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Is the intended purpose of this for something like TCAS? It could also be used to coordinate drafting for fuel efficiency.
    Yes, this is a similar application.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicul...cation_systems
    It is mainly being pushed to help increase traffic safety and throughput. The real end goal is driverless totally automated vehicles. As the systems grow in complexity they will take over more control of the car. With the introduction of drive by wire systems, they will soon allow the computer to take over stearing and braking of the vehicle. Some high end vehicles are already starting to see adaptive cruise control tied to automated braking systems. With adaptive cruise control they use short range radar to pace the vehicle infront of you. Get too close to the car in front of you, the system automatically primes and then applies the braking system.

I can envision that at some point you will start to pay extra to your insurance company just to drive your own car. There will be one low rate for an automated car and a much higher rate for a car you drive yourself. I can also see a point where the government greatly restricts human drivers. [[driving is not a right.)

The system will provide some great benefits, Just don't forget the side effects that come from new technology.
    Think of the increased productivity from driverless trucks, Think of all the jobs lost to this automation.
    Last edited by ndavies; April-14-11 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added Wiki link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2