Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Only on the MTA controlled systems [[LIRR and Metro North). New Jersey Transit does not use a third rail.
    Not all of Metro North is powered by third rail, I've never used LIRR so I don't know about that one but I know Metro North is diesel powered on at least some of the tracks, in the city it's mostly third rail but it kind of acts like a subway in the city rather than commuter rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    Not all of Metro North is powered by third rail, I've never used LIRR so I don't know about that one but I know Metro North is diesel powered on at least some of the tracks, in the city it's mostly third rail but it kind of acts like a subway in the city rather than commuter rail.
    On the Hudson Line, local trains between Grand Central and Croton-Harmon are powered by electrified third rail.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I'm pretty surprised that Amtrak requires passengers to cross an active track to catch a train, especially in a major metropolitan area. I've used both New Jersey Transit and the Long Island Railroad pretty extensively and have never seen a situation where passengers have to cross over the actual tracks.
    In Deerfield Beach, FL, which runs Tri-Rail, AMTRAK, and CSX freight, you have to walk to the far end of the platform, cross the tracks at grade, then back down the platform to the boarding position to go from the NBd tracks to the SBd tracks and vice-versa. This is the case at a few other stations along the line as well.

The part of Metro North that's third rail is mostly away from traffic, some of it runs underground and I know the part that runs by Yankee Stadium hugs the Harlem River. There isn't much foot traffic around there either and it's on the other side of the Deegan.

Detroit is in a decline and we need light rail HAH!

so much of this thread is based on useless opinion. i won't bother arguing most of the points because they're all covered in this document that is based upon studies, case studies, and actual fact:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.semcog.org/uploadedFiles/Programs_and_Projects/Transportation/CRTSP%20Regional%20Transit%20Plan%20FINAL%20REPORT%20Nov%2021%2008.pdf
    [[for anyone that is interested.)

mostly i can't understand why most people only see this as a viable project if it's shuttling people from the suburbs to and from downtown. there is so many other possibilities and value in it than just that and it doesn't preclude a dedicated commuter rail being reactivated at a future date [much like the linked document proposes].

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5