Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The stripping of the [[former) St Dominic's Church?

Looks like the doors from the old confessionals in the church...I thouht the building had been sold to another group. At one point the church had a Wurlitzer pipe organ...

Are these all from St. Dom's?

Didn't realize it had closed...used to admire it when I lived on Commonwealth.

DetroitPole Guest

This is not a new occurance. It happened with St. Stanislaus when whatever church took it over. They starting selling the ornamentation. Trouble was, St. Stan's is on the National Register of Historic Places so it was illegal.

I'm pretty sure St. Dominic's is not on the registry, so there is probably nothing that can be done. Some preacher is likely going to sell off anything of value in that church and then when his church closes up there will be nothing left of value in the building.

Hey, I guess its his place now, but can't say I agree with such priorities.

Here is the webpage of the new owners:
    http://citadeloffaith.org/

Career opportunities from Pastor Carey? I'm good on that!

It is really important to support the beautiful churches in the city, if that's your bag. Imagine if St. Florian or Sweetest Heart of Mary or St. John's Episcopal or Historic Trinity Lutheran were scrapped in such a way.

I still maintain that if I did happen to live in the suburbs I would make a point to attend and make my donations to city churches. Can't duplicate that stuff.

Hopefully these were rescued and not stolen. Regardless though as long as they were removed from harms way and will be put into the hands of someone that cares.
    I would love to visit some of Detroits grand churches just to admire the detail. True you cannot duplicate that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    This is not a new occurance. It happened with St. Stanislaus when whatever church took it over. They starting selling the ornamentation. Trouble was, St. Stan's is on the National Register of Historic Places so it was illegal.
    Sadly the National Register only protects the exterior, unless in rare instances the interior is also protected as a seperate filing. The owners of any landmark can do what they wish with the interior as long as the exterior is mainained. For example, Radio City Music Hall in NYC is a protected interior and cannot be altered. Most churches have resisted National Register status as it prevents alteration or demolition of the structure.

St. Stanislaus looks to be in deplorable condition...last time I drove by some of the stained glass window panels were missing and the storm glass was also gone.

Should we notify the authorities that someone is selling stolen items on CL? Or were they legitimately rescued?

Don't you think the new pastor is just selling some of the "catholic" stuff? Confessional doors he does not need. But a fireplace mantel is curious.

I was never in St. Dominic church, but I believe that the AoD originally bought that building from a non-Catholic congregation. I mention this because I know of no Catholic church building that contains a fireplace - but many non-Catholic churches have those congregation gathering and sunday school rooms attached and I have typically seen fireplaces there.

So, the nice things are probably going to be sold off to keep the Church afloat. What can you say?

The fireplace pobably was in the old residence of the Dominican Fathers next door. The AOD did purchase the building from a protestant congregation I believe back in the 1920's. Does anyone know if the Wurlitzer organ is still installed?

I guess selling the pieces off is one way to make a buck, it could sit and rot and get destroyed and be gone forever. I dont know if its true or not and its probably a lie but a guy on pawn Detroit episode last week had and said a different JL Hudsons logo window sold for 11 grand at DuMouchelle's. I cannot remember what Les Gold gave for the item but he snatched it up in that fake and scripted show.

The video from the current owner "Citadel of Faith" provides a pretty good video of what looks like a mostly empty building they just bought and it looks pretty large and pretty expensive to heat, light and maintain.
    What an amazing space tho, the old churches always were the grandest. We have a few abandoned here and some are very elaborate but also old and costly. The new churches here are block and tin cans, also the storefront types.
    Last edited by downtown_racine; April-08-11 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post

I'm pretty sure St. Dominic's is not on the registry, so there is probably nothing that can be done. Some preacher is likely going to sell off anything of value in that church and then when his church closes up there will be nothing left of value in the building.

Hey, I guess its his place now, but can't say I agree with such priorities.

Here is the webpage of the new owners:
    http://citadeloffaith.org/

Career opportunities from Pastor Carey? I'm good on that!

It is really important to support the beautiful churches in the city, if that's your bag. Imagine if St. Florian or Sweetest Heart of Mary or St. John's Episcopal or Historic Trinity Lutheran were scrapped in such a way.

I still maintain that if I did happen to live in the suburbs I would make a point to attend and make my donations to city churches. Can't duplicate that stuff.
    I notice all the pews are replaced with chairs, and the whole seating area is surrounded by curtains,
    as if to erase any remnants of the 'Catholic Look' that the building has.
    So why not just buy/rent any old hall, or SCHOOL to hold your services? Why ruin, and sell off
    a beautiful old church?
    Actually...winding my way throughout Detroit, I've noticed MANY old churches, either abandoned,
    or taken over by, let's say, 'Alternative' congregations. Most times, the beautiful stained glass
    windows get busted out, the gutters start hanging, sidewalks buckling, hedges unkempt, fencing
    surrounding parking lots/property failing....as if, that's how they truly want it to be.
    So many of these 'inner city' churches have pastors walking away with very nice coffers....
    ....and ruined, forlorn buildings left behind to rot.
    Don't get all up in arms either people...I've personally seen it a FEW times. NOT just one isolated
    incident, believe me. And YES, both Black and White congregations.

The curtained/chair lined room appears to be the old gymnasium, not the church building which appears at least when the video was created, intact.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    The curtained/chair lined room appears to be the old gymnasium, not the church building which appears at least when the video was created, intact.
    OH....Once again, I stand corrected. But I'm still totally disheartened by the poor
    stewardship so many of these classic, beautiful Churches are subjected to.
    I saw one old Church on West Grand River, near west of Charity Motors. Completly
    abandoned. Beautiful old structure, windows [[including stained glass) blown out.
    The old Church on the N. East corner of Trumbull and M.L.K. Blvd./Gd River.
    Couple of years ago they had help putting on a new roof, after their plight was
    given media air play. Too bad the company which helped them out didn't stipulate
    that they then had to protect the stain glass window out front, as one term of their
    generosity. I've seen that large, beautiful window slowly deteriorate through the
    years, and have wondered, "Why not put up some plywood at least?"
    Of course you may wonder why I've never stopped and offered my opinion, or
    better yet, some helping funds, well....I am poor. But it still makes me sad to see.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    OH....Once again, I stand corrected. But I'm still totally disheartened by the poor stewardship so many of these classic, beautiful Churches are subjected to..........But it still makes me sad to see.
    You are not alone in that opinion. Thank goodness for forums like this where, at least, what's going on gets lobbed into cyberspace for the record.

Here's some history and an exterior photo of this Woodbridge gem from a favorite site by one of our members, Detroit 1701: http://detroit1701.org/St.%20Dominics.html