Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

You missed one...Bob Denton sold the Buick dealership to Ray Conlon in 1968. Ray Conlon Buick-Opel operated there until late 1975 when he sold to Stella and purchased another Buick dealership in Merritt Island, FL.

"On to the Buick dealership on Grand River. Originally Sellgren Buick,later Denton Buick, then Stella Buick."

You missed one...Bob Denton sold the Buick dealership to Ray Conlon in 1968. Ray Conlon Buick-Opel operated there until late 1975 when he sold to Stella and purchased another Buick dealership in Merritt Island, FL.

I would like to know whether Prentis Cadillac was the last-remaining new-car dealership in the city of Wyandotte, surviving into the early 1990's. I think it had another name after Prentis but before it closed and it was on Eureka where Siding World is now.

Prentis [[or whatever it was called then) appeared in a 1991 telephone directory and Siding World was already there in 1995.

Coming into this game late, but what were the dealerships in the area that sold either Renault or Peugeot until those left the US market? Where there any in the Detroit area?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I would like to know whether Prentis Cadillac was the last-remaining new-car dealership in the city of Wyandotte, surviving into the early 1990's. I think it had another name after Prentis but before it closed and it was on Eureka where Siding World is now.

Prentis [[or whatever it was called then) appeared in a 1991 telephone directory and Siding World was already there in 1995.
    Heinz Prechter [[American Sunroof) bought Prentiss Cadillac. Renamed Heritage I think. Never planned to keep it in Wyandotte. He also bought Tessier Pontiac in Southgate and minority interests in some other nearby dealers. Planned to build an auto mall along I-75 by his Holiday inn. Never accomplished, plans apparently died when he did.
    Last edited by ThosWolfe; January-05-15 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Coming into this game late, but what were the dealerships in the area that sold either Renault or Peugeot until those left the US market? Where there any in the Detroit area?
    Lots of dealers sold Renault- all the A.M.C. dealers turned into Renault dealers when Renault bought AMC. Plus there were several small Renault dealers dating to the 60's when it was a quirky foreign car.
    Peugeot- I don't think many dealers sold Peugeot, but if so as an extra franchise. Only 2 I recall is one up Telegraph by Dixie Highway and strangely enough- Dalgleish Cadillac Peugeot.

Quote Originally Posted by ThosWolfe View Post
    Lots of dealers sold Renault- all the A.M.C. dealers turned into Renault dealers when Renault bought AMC. Plus there were several small Renault dealers dating to the 60's when it was a quirky foreign car.
    Peugeot- I don't think many dealers sold Peugeot, but if so as an extra franchise. Only 2 I recall is one up Telegraph by Dixie Highway and strangely enough- Dalgleish Cadillac Peugeot.
    Hey, thanks for the info! Just read about the AMC-Renault connection. I think I knew that but forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by Riviera Ray View Post
    "On to the Buick dealership on Grand River. Originally Sellgren Buick,later Denton Buick, then Stella Buick."

Yes, remember it now.........I remember going in there with my parents in 1960 as they were looking at new Buicks. Ended up with a new Ford Sunliner and again in 1964 before they bought their 64 Mercury Park Lane convertible. I went in there once in 1967 for some parts for my 58 Special but it was Denton at that time.
    Last edited by shovelhead; January-06-15 at 10:44 PM.

Jim Edelbrock was my wife's uncle. My wife and her brother drove a Camaro from her Uncle Jim until the wheels fell off. Unfortunately, we only have a can opener left from him. Found it in the garage after my wife's mother passed on a couple of years ago.

Name:  Jim Edelbrock Can Opener.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  34.6 KBAttachment 37109
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLITT65 View Post
    Thread Resurrected Jan. 5 - Click Here to jump to recent conversation.
    =============================
    Hi fellas,
    Does anybody remember JIM EDELBROCK CHEVROLET? They were located at 345 N main, in Plymouth MI. It is now the location of Lou Lariche Chevrolet. I purchased a very original 69 camaro that was orignally sold from JIM EDELBROCK CHEVROLET. From what i can ascertain the dealership changed hands in the early part of 1970. If anybody has any info pictures dealer promos or really anything pertaining to this dealership please let me know. BULLITT65@aol.com
    thanks guys\popjpeg{182650,jim edelbrock key fob}

Quote Originally Posted by RonGephart View Post
    Jim Edelbrock was my wife's uncle. My wife and her brother drove a Camaro from her Uncle Jim until the wheels fell off. Unfortunately, we only have a can opener left from him. Found it in the garage after my wife's mother passed on a couple of years ago.

Looks like it's giving the finger. Cool though.

This thread brought back many memories. Bought my second new car from Burke Pontiac on Gratiot near Houston-Whittier in 1965. Right next door was Fulton Chevrolet which is mentioned earlier in this thread. Just sold this key chain through ebay to the owner's son who now lives in I believe North Carolina.

Name:  IMG_4062.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  80.3 KB

Burke Pontiac was first Fisher Pontiac. The property was sold to them around 1948 when my grandfather passed. He had a store there since about 1900 [[first a general store, then groceries only). My dad bought his '56 Pontiac Star Chief at Fisher.

The Burke store later became Maxey Lincoln-Mercury before they moved to Mack Avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    There was one in Pontiac: R&M Motors on Walton Blvd between Baldwin and Telegraph. It's still open but now sells Kubota tractors and power equipment. Ironically, they still have a sign with the old Renault logo on it!

Does anyone remember the Jeep Dealership on Livernois? It may have been Moss & Sons, early '70's?

Quote Originally Posted by RonGephart View Post

Wow. That can opener design must have been common. We had one when I was young and that pic instantly brought back that memory-opening the giant Hi-C juice cans!
    Cool name for a dealer too-aka Edelbrock aftermarket parts.

For some reason,when I saw this thread title just now, the name 'Emmett Chevrolet' came to mind. I can't find anything in a general search, so either I have the name spelled wrong, or it's only in my imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    For some reason,when I saw this thread title just now, the name 'Emmett Chevrolet' came to mind. I can't find anything in a general search, so either I have the name spelled wrong, or it's only in my imagination.
    I believe I've heard of that name as well. Don't think you're off base.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    Only time I ever went in there was to look at a '68 Road Runner on the showroom floor. It was either that or a '67 BSA Lightning that I was going to buy.The BSA won out.
    Bet you wish you got that Roadrunner. They are worth big bucks now.

Quote Originally Posted by Forwardlook View Post
    Hello, great thread! Had to join again, watched with great interest the old car factories thread a few years ago. Anyone here have memories and/or photos of Taylor's Motor Sales, a Dodge dealer at 19711 Livernois Avenue? It became later Northwestern Dodge. When did Northwestern move to 8 Mile Rd? The dealership on Livernois was huge, it seems to be intact but with windows covered and now it is a U-Haul place. It would be great to see some photos from back in the day. This was the dealer that "sponsored" The Ramchargers in 1961 and 1962, although I guess it was just a front for the factory. Here is a link to the place now;

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...331.24,,0,14.6

Great memories, My dad bought a brand new 64 Dodge Dart 270 from Taylor Motors.

How bout Dreisbach & Sons Cadillac. The Futurliner they used to advertise always caught my eye when traveling down Grand River.

[[Photo midway down the page.)
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/1.../#&gid=1&pid=4

There was a place somewhere on the East side, maybe on McNichols or Seven Mile, that sold parts for MG's [[and Triumphs, I believe). I went there in 1980/81 to pick up a hood for an MGB. I think I drove through a gate and around the side of the building to have it loaded in my truck. While waiting inside the shop, I headed for the front door to take a look around. I'll never forget the guy working there saying, "you thinking about going outside?" "Yes," I responded. "Well, don't. Stay in here." So endeth the first lesson for a small-town 17 year old who was curious about the city.

Default Shore Chevrolet, 12240 Jos Campau

My dad bought a 1963 Chevy II wagon from Shore Chevrolet, 12240 Jos Campau. The building is still in pretty good shape today. I couldn’t find a Shore Chevy button pin in dad’s old collection but I did find these 4. The license plate tab from 1966 was probably on the Chevy II, and he was a Democrat and a good UAW union man to the end.Name:  shore cheby 3.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  183.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I believe I've heard of that name as well. Don't think you're off base.
    Turns out it was Emmert with an 'r'. Found another thread that mentioned them.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    Only time I ever went in there was to look at a '68 Road Runner on the showroom floor. It was either that or a '67 BSA Lightning that I was going to buy.The BSA won out.
    Just curious, where did you buy the BSA ? My 69 Lightning came from Andy Pelc on Eureka in Southgate.I also had a 68 Road Runner bought from Bistran C-P also on Eureka in Wyandotte.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast