Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Back in the 50's and 60's there was a place on 9 mile and Mack and they had constant radio commercials, but I can't remember their name...

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redfordman View Post
    Back in the 50's and 60's there was a place on 9 mile and Mack and they had constant radio commercials, but I can't remember their name...
    Roy O'Brien Ford. They're still there. "Stay on the right track, to Nine Mile and Mack......" was [[and still is) their commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Roy O'Brien Ford. They're still there. "Stay on the right track, to Nine Mile and Mack......" was [[and still is) their commercial.
    That's it! Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Any info about Ryanal Brothers and/ or Dick Green Chrysler Plymouth?
    Raynal Brothers closed down a long time ago - in the 80s.

Default More Dealers

Hi Guys,

Grew up in Detroit/Warren in '50's and '60's. Here's a few dealers I remember that didn't see mentioned elsewhere:

Pat O'Day Studebaker - somewhere on Woodward below 6 Mile on East side of street.

Leo Adler Desoto-Plymouth - I think it was on Finnkel.

Gage Olds - Woodward just past the 8-Mile overpass.

Van Dyke Dodge

Royal Pontiac - Royal Oak.

Funny thing I was thinking about Bullitts search for a picture of Edelbrock Chevy about a week ago. Sad to see the round showroom on Grand River close its doors, Although I passed the 7mi side more often then not, I can still picture the State Police post on the point with the Grocery store behind that which then turned into Dreisbach &Sons. Seems like a lifetime ago. Always liked the Grand River view of that dealership better.

I kind of saw Massey Cadillac was preparing to close the dealership on Grand River last year, though some on the forum thought otherwise...
    My brother & I drove by there end of December, joked that even if they parallel parked the last 6 cars in the lot facing Grand River, it would still look empty. I walked through the waiting room/showroom to see if it was still in business about Dec 28, by the end of the week, there was no more cars parked at the old drive-in [[Geiger's building)on Grand River. At that time, I could see there was 2-3 mechanics working and about 2-3 customers sitting in the waiting room. I wonder if they suspected the place would soon close up.
    Yes, that dealership was really nice when built, mid 60's- as Klett Cadillac, with the revolving showroom. As years passed, they quit turning on the turntable- either too costly to run or maintain, probably.
    After Dreisbach bought the grocery store on 7 Mile, they turned that building into their new car showroom.
    R/E the state police post- there was a flag pole at the corner with a plaque dedicated to the D.U.R. employees lost in WW1. When the gas station bought the property, they put up a Mobil Oil sign on that flagpole where the plaque used to be.

Default Looking for Swap Meet Kings

Come on REDDOG, i'm still waiting on that flyer you have to get scanned and posted on here...lol. I saw a pic on the livonia library website titled Ernest J. Allison Chevrolet and the pic is a 65 implala inside the showroom maybe? so that would tell me at least mid 64 it was still Allison Chevrolet. Do any of you guys go to any of the swap meets up there and see anyone who specializes in selling old dealer memrobilia or license plate frames??

I know Bullitt, I have had my Scanner/Printer Combo for over a year now hasn't worked. Even the kids messed with it, I tried last week. Agh. The ad is for Lou LaRiche and it was before the move. Have to check out that Livonia site for a view of the photo.
    It's kinda funny that Edelbrock Chevy is kinda lost in the shuffle between Allison and Lou La Riche, Not a big help to you though.I know I am getting a digital camera for my birthday. Maybe by themn I will figure out how to upload photos and stuff on here.
    Till then Bullitt guess you will have to wait like one waits for an income tax check.

On Woodward, just south of Clairmont is a building being used as a Public Safety center.

Attachment 5177

The DSR has a history website [[http://www.detroittransithistory.inf...tos1950sC.html
    that shows that in the late '50's this building was an Edsel dealership.

Attachment 5176

I don't know if anyone is familiar but my father built, owned and managed Main Glass and Upholstering on Main St in Royal Oak. I vaguely think it was across the street from a Potter moving and storage [[Allied movers).

He did auto upholstery for several of these dealers in these ads. He also re-upholstered Jimmy Hoffa's limo and we got a kick out of the fact the car had to be worked on in the middle of the night and Hoffa's security men watched his every move.

He also designed the first convertible top for what I believe was an International. I'll dig for pictures.

Was a big white building with bay doors on the front and back. I've heard it has been turned into offices now but don't know for sure.

The dealer on Woodward south of Clairmount was originally Wagner Oldsmobile. The reason I know is my uncle worked there. Soon after switching to Edsel everyone there was unemployed

Whien I was growing up in Warren in the '60's, there was a furniture store on Van Dyke. I don't remember exactly where it was, except it was on the west side of the street, somewhere between 9 Mile and 12 Mile. I remember the store because the glass on the south side of the store ended in a giant half circle. I've look on Google and can't find it - I think it may have been lost to I-696.
    Anyways, I was told by several people that it was built to be a Tucker dealership.

Default Funston Chevrolet

Funston Chevrolet was a Chevy dealer on Gratiot near 6 Mile in the 60's. Anybody familiar with them?

I grew up on the westside during, the 60's and early 70's and remember Husak Bros Dodge on Michigan and Martin. But I also remember that they moved to a location on Michigan just west of Lonyo. Also Bielfield Ford was located on the corner of Michigan and Lonyo. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned Bill Wink Chevrolet on Ford Rd just west of Wyoming as well as Garrity Dodge in Hamtramck. I can't remember the name of the Buick dealer on Michigan just east of Greenfield. I still recall when the new models were ready to be introduced they would cover all the showroom windows so one couldn't see and using the big searchlights at night in front of the dealership to draw customers.

My dad owned a 63 Olds 88 and I recall going with him to an Olds dealer somewhere on Livernois for an oil change.My guess is somewhere between Michigan Ave and the Lodge.

The Buick dealer in Dearborn was P.L. Grissom.

Does anyone remember Jim Chumbley Chevrolet in Ypsilanti? The building still stands at 1180 E. Michigan Avenue. I am looking for any photos or literature from this dealer. Thanks! Tony

While I am not much use about names, I do remember a few dealers along Mich Ave in Ypsi.The Chevy dealer which could be in the same building as mentioned, Sesi Lincoln/Mercury, Gene Butman Ford, and I belive thet used to be a Pontiac dealer in the Fischer Honda building, and of course Miller Motor Sales the last Hudson dealer.The buildings across from the Fischer Honda site I belive at one time housed dealers as well.
    Further out to Ann Arbor I remember Ann Arbor Buick and the Caddy dealer across the street , Not much else.

don massey's first car lot was directly across from 'todays' mark chevrolet. just to the east was two small used carlots....then LEBARON OLDSMOBILE--hal lebaron owner......then changed names and moved.
    HALL DODDS used cars was the next business to the east from lebaron olds. that property was split in recent years.............new construction----[that was empty for sometime] and the eastern half continues as a used carlot and several auto-related business's

YES-----------FIESTA was the name before sunshine honda! seems like a rambler dealership 'followed' in the old gene merollis building just west of today's NORTH BROS FORD.

GORDON CHEVROLET/ garden chevy was the other dealership for TRENTON'S STEWART CHEVROLET......both owned by gordon stewart, [catchy names for dealerships] OR was it stewart gorden...........ha.

EARLY CANTON TOWNSHIP had a studebaker dealer on michigan/ morton-taylor.
    i went there to see and touch an avanti----got the original brochure 'filed-away'---when they first came out ?? 1963 ??

re: 70L34 YPSI's jim chumbley chevy was jack webb chevy and finley-webb chevy--- and vincent chevy-------thru the years.

across from fischer honda----AT-ONE-TIME CHAPMAN PONTIAC------------ SERBAY CHRYSLER/ PLYMOUTH as i recall a dealership in the 30's & 40's, CLOSED IN THE 80's?
    just across the huron river/ bridge, the MATERIALS UNLIMITED building was also a new car dealership in the 20's 30's, PACKARD i was told.

----[have been out-of-touch w/ my computer for sometime]----

red ryder
    Last edited by red-ryder; February-24-10 at 11:14 AM. Reason: more info............

Never knew the name of the Olds dealer in Wayne, Forget to ask my Uncle. With so many used car lots in Wayne It.s hard to keep track of what was what.I have a picture of my dad trading in his 87 Buick for a 91 at John Rogin Buick in Wayne. If I would have known I would be interested in this kina stuff back then I'd have taken more pictures.

CATCH 22------DON FOSS USED CARS.......had a HQ at the old TRUMBULL CHEVY michigan&trumbull. 'many locations thru-out detroit. 'SEVERAL NAMES thru the years, now those locations use DETROIT II. ole BILL COCHRAN CP/ garden city is one of 'them'.

ANYONE FROM BELLEVILLE?

BELLEVILLE GARAGE became HENNIGER CHEVY....moved to belleville rd/I-94? i seem to recall another name there B-4 it closed, now it is/ was a pacific-rim motorcycle 'store'
    anyone remember andy hotton's 'classic lincoln collection' in the old dealership on main st?

Hey red-ryder, thanks for the info on Jim Chumbley. Please keep an eye out for any dealership decals or giveaways from Chumbley...thank you!

In Livonia, on Plymouth Road:

Mark Leach Lincoln Mercury, on the NE corner of Middlebelt Rd., 1950s.

Immediately west of Bill Brown Ford was Livonia Imported Cars [[?), a Fiat dealer, 1960s-70s. Still there, kinda sorta.

My dad sold used cars at Dexter Chevrolet on 8 Mile for many years in the 70's. I still look for it when I drive by, even though it's been gone for ages.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast