Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Hey guys thanks for posting more info regaurding Allison Chevrolet and Jim Edlebrock Chevrolet.
    A couple corrections or notes to those pictures. The Furniture building is where the original Allison Chevrolet building was located before they moved to the newer building of 345 N.main st. I was also told that Jim Edlebrock may have worked for Allison as a mechanic prior to starting his dealership in that location. The only surviving member of the Allison family is a daughter who still lives in the area. How about a pic of the current building today anyone? I think it is now called "I do too" wedding store and banquet hall? The gentleman I spoke with seems to Jim Edelbrock Chevrolet was there for approx 5 to 6 years, but he could not remeber for sure. He purchased the building from Allison. Keep posting what info you have, REDDOG still waiting for those photos buddy....have a great holiday everyone!

Back to my earlier post about Sellgren Buick. If you go to the building on Grand River west of Seven Mile, presently a used car lot, look at the sides of the front door. Cast into the cement one side at the bottom says "Sellgren" in script.

Back to Plymouth now:
    Mercury dealer on Forest Ave., west side at least from '64 to about '68 or '69 was West Bros. Ford dealer at the time was Leo Calhoun. Both buildings long gone.

Another Northville memory,on Main Street next to the Wagon Wheel Bar there was until '64 Gib Bergstrom's Chrysler

Anybody here remember Motor City Dodge? He billed himself as "Dr. Dick Canaan"
    He bought a few old ambulances, painted and lettered them and parked them around the northwest side of Detroit.

Random dealers:
    Rollie Barrett Chrysler-Plymouth, Grand River around Schaefer IIRC.
    Armstrong Buick originally was around there too. Joe May Chevrolet, Grand River @ Meyers [[?), Grand River Chevrolet, Grand River @ Warren Mulligan Lincoln Mercury, Grand River@Evergreen, Stan Long Pontiac, 10K block, south side of Grand River, Clarence Carter Chevrolet and Floyd Rice Ford, both on Livernois Ave.

And for the custom car people, the Alexander Bros. has a shop an Grand River and Littlefield.......

Enough for now...

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    Back to Plymouth now:
    Mercury dealer on Forest Ave., west side at least from '64 to about '68 or '69 was West Bros. Ford dealer at the time was Leo Calhoun. Both buildings long gone.
    West Bros.dates back to at least 1962 at that location. My dad bought a '62 Meteor there. I think they became Hines Park L-M.

Calhoun moved out to Plymouth Road east of town and is now Blackwell Ford.
    Last edited by catch22; May-25-09 at 02:43 PM.

douchy Guest

The furniture building IS the Allison building. There is a ramp inside for driving cars up to second floor. I called there and spoke to a worker and he told me all about the old car dealer. I am 99% certain that Edelbrock was in the same building.

That building was used as the body shop. The main dealership was to the east [[Starkweather) I was supposed to go to work there in the parts department in the fall of '70, but the G.M. strike put a freeze on hiring at that time. I previously worked for the Parts Manager at Rathburn before it closed.

catch22, wasn't Calhoun on Main, about where the Mayflower had the "Annex"?
    My parents bought their '64 Parklane convertible at West Bros, it was on display in the showroom. They originally were going to buy a "Breezeway" that was on the floor, but she went in to get the paperwork to go to the bank, it was being cleaned up and in it's place was the convertible. That was it! She promptly cancelled the buy on the hardtop and bought the convertible.
    Last edited by shovelhead; May-25-09 at 06:07 PM.

The furniture building was the body shop. Unless they changed the address, my original invoice from JIM EDELBROCK CHEVROLET, has the address as 345 N. Main st. Plymouth MI. [[not 331, which is shown in the furniture store pic). I have a service invoice from early 1970 and it has the address still as 345 main st., but had changed hands and was Lou LaRiche Chevrolet. Then the year after that Lou LaRiche moved to his current location.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    catch22, wasn't Calhoun on Main, about where the Mayflower had the "Annex"?
    My parents bought their '64 Parklane convertible at West Bros, it was on display in the showroom. They originally were going to buy a "Breezeway" that was on the floor, but she went in to get the paperwork to go to the bank, it was being cleaned up and in it's place was the convertible. That was it! She promptly cancelled the buy on the hardtop and bought the convertible.
    I think so ... but my memory is a little fuzzy on that. I didn't become a regular customer of Leo Calhoun until I bought a used '67 Ford Cortina around 1971 [[as was typical with any English car of that period, I was on a first-name basis with the guys at the parts counter). By then, they had moved out on Plymouth Road.

What great info on here. I thought Wayne had the dealers, But it figures Plymouth& Northville had then also.I myself have been in the Allison/Edelbrock property. Only cause I had a truck and I had to haul a chair.
    With the Buick dealer at 7mi/GR ending up in the hands of Bob Sellers, It is like a circle. From what I know Sellers Pontiac was in OLD Redford.
    Bullitt, I am working on that scanner/printer so BEAR WITH ME. Thanks to all.

What dealerships were on Gratiot between 7 and 8 mile rd?

Haney Datsun, later Haney Nissan. Wood Imports [[VW, Mercedes, Audi)