Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Some of the health disparities in the city are caused by the foods that people are eating. Lactose-free milk isn't about being a yuppie; most members of our species cannot break down lactase after infancy:

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddise...seintolerance/

Only certain cultures, largely in Northern Europe, globally evolved the ability to break down milk protein. The majority of people of African, Asian, and Native American descent are intolerant. Taking a wild guess, I'd be willing to bet that far more people in the city lack the ability to process lactase than those who can.

I've been in the naysayers' shoes before. When I moved to Ann Arbor in 2005, I made fun of everyone and everything, even here at DYes. I especially made fun of "Whole Paycheck," "Farmer's Markets," and all the other strange "SWPL" habits [[see Christian Lander's infamous blog: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/full...e-people-like/ -- oddly enough, accordingly to this parody, I'm white).

But a strange thing happened. You see, I'd suffered from gastrointestinal problems my entire adult life. GERD at 19, peptic ulcers at 23, etc. Typical Detroit girl; typical Detroit diet. I wasn't trying to eat grass, leaves, roots, and shrubs, or so I thought. When my housemate first moved in [[a near-vegetarian with a vegan boyfriend), she suggested a few changes to my diet. She eats CHEAPLY, more cheaply than anyone I know who does frozen/dried/canned/prepared foods. Some of what she makes I don't care for, but some of it is awesome, amazingly filling, fresh, and inexpensive. She works an 8-6 professional job, so it's not as if she has a lot of time. Her belief is that most of us just don't know how to eat. She encouraged me to read Michael Pollan, to watch docs on food and learn what ADM and Monsanto are doing to our cornflakes and hamburgers, etc.

It worked. From 2006 until 2010, I didn't suffer from any gastro issues for the first time in my life...

...until this fall, when I started crashing in Southfield through the week and working in Detroit. I live with an older relative through the week. They cook heavy, traditional meals, they are offended when I do not eat, and they pack their fridge so that I can't fit in any stuff I buy. So I decided to do in Detroit what Detroiters do. It's OK to eat conventional and from the food court if you're busy, right?

Wrong. GERD and heartburn are back, I gained 15 pounds over the winter, and for the first time ever, I heard "your pressure's high" at the doctor's office.

As a black Detroiter, I say this without malice, and with a lot of concern: we are already eating too much canned, processed, and fast food crap. The obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure rates in our community are beyond ridiculous. It's no longer just buppies or "wannabes" who get this -- why do people think Goodwells and The Raw Cafe opened? Everyone needs to eat to live, not just live to eat.

I'm not hating on Aldi. Aldi is good for some things. But eating 100% conventional food today in 2011 and expecting to be totally healthy is like playing roulette for most people. I mean, some of that stuff doesn't even taste like it did in 1985... we are a step away from Soylent Green, folks. So we need low-end, high-end, and middle brow options for better and more nutritious foods. The more the merrier. Whole Foods is a welcome addition, but others will follow.

The development proposal I saw did have parking in the back and a nearby structure. No parking facing Woodward proper.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    You mean Zaccaro's? The store with the free 20-odd-space parking lot out back that was never full? Does the parking really have to be right there on Woodward staring you in the face for it to count? Because honestly, I walk to University Foods sometimes and I always feel like I'm taking my life into my hands walking through that giant goddamn parking lot. I'd much rather have the parking behind the store than in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    My understanding is that Whole Foods no longer produces its smaller format stores, unless we're talking highly, highly desirable areas with extreme barriers to entry.

Knowing this, I don't understand how Midtown [[at least as of now) would be remotely close to Whole Foods demographics. They need tens of thousands of high-income folks [[100k+ salaries) in close proximity.

I mean, the Pointes apparently don't have enough wealth for Whole Foods. The Novi-Northville-Plymouth corridor doesn't have enough wealth for Whole Foods.

There are only three WF in all of Metro Detroit: Birmingham/Troy border, West Bloomfield and Rochester Hills.

Given that the Pointes don't have adequate demographics, how can Wayne State/Cass Corridor rank higher? Are there many thousands of 100k+ households around Wayne? I would think no. I would think there are very few such households.

I would love to see WF in Detroit, but I think Midtown isn't ready yet. Give it a few years, and we'll see.
    Maybe the Pointes already have enough grocery stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    My understanding is that Whole Foods no longer produces its smaller format stores, unless we're talking highly, highly desirable areas with extreme barriers to entry.

Knowing this, I don't understand how Midtown [[at least as of now) would be remotely close to Whole Foods demographics. They need tens of thousands of high-income folks [[100k+ salaries) in close proximity.

I mean, the Pointes apparently don't have enough wealth for Whole Foods. The Novi-Northville-Plymouth corridor doesn't have enough wealth for Whole Foods.

There are only three WF in all of Metro Detroit: Birmingham/Troy border, West Bloomfield and Rochester Hills.

Given that the Pointes don't have adequate demographics, how can Wayne State/Cass Corridor rank higher? Are there many thousands of 100k+ households around Wayne? I would think no. I would think there are very few such households.

I would love to see WF in Detroit, but I think Midtown isn't ready yet. Give it a few years, and we'll see.
    Someone noted upthread that the average new homebuyer in Midtown has household income of $100K plus. I find that hard to believe on the surface, but to be honest, I couldn't afford the place I'm moving into if it were within walking distance of WSU. Willy's Overland, anything on Canfield, and anything on Ferry Street are all out of my price range. Rentals? If you want 2 bedrooms, expect to shell out $1000 plus per month.

So who is buying these places? It sure sounds like the WF demographic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crew View Post
    The development proposal I saw did have parking in the back and a nearby structure. No parking facing Woodward proper.
    A more pedestrial friendly store which is what detroit need for that area. Ye Olde Butchers Shoppe has it's parking in the back also. Let's get rid of the strip mall look for a new detroit

Here's the way Whole Foods does it in other cities. This one is in Seattle.
    http://www.poststat.net/pwp011/pub.4...2/article.321/

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Maybe the Pointes already have enough grocery stores.
    ...and the daytime population of midtown-downtown far exceeds that of the Pointes.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    ...and the daytime population of midtown-downtown far exceeds that of the Pointes.

Oh god--how many of the "daytime population" in midtown are buying groceries?

sometimes the logic or lack thereof around these parts is simply amazing.

Speaking of the Pointes--They are losing borders so......

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post

sometimes the logic or lack thereof around these parts is simply amazing.

Speaking of the Pointes--They are losing borders so......

Did you miss the part where I was adding to "Maybe the Pointes already have enough grocery stores."

Given that WF is known for pre-pared foods I would be certainly be there a couple of times a week for lunch. That's the kind of thing I prefer. What is the commuter population of Wayne State? You add 80,000 workers downtown [[of which I am one that goes to the Honeybee Market grocery store to grab lunch regularly and usually a couple of things for home), and it doesn't seem like much of a gamble for a place like that to take a flyer. Shit, if I'm only 1% of workers who actually does that on a regular basis that's still a helluva market.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    *raises hand*

Work and home are points A and B for me, and I shop at businesses between those two points. Meijer is a once-per-month trip at best, and Sam's Club is quarterly.

I'd be willing to bet I'm not alone... especially in the era of $4 gas. When the weather is nice, I walk to the WSU Farmer's Market, Avalon, and/or Goodwell's during my lunch hour. Great exercise and I get my fresh produce for the week... a win-win.

GUSHI Guest

ya but its not whole foods, whold foods carries stuff ninos doesnt
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    have you heard of nino salvaggio's?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Fuck Whole Foods. I'd rather have lots of independent retailers than a Whole Foods. Cheering on the arrival of a Whole Foods just sounds so ... uncreative and ... more of an Ann Arbor thing.
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with Detroit being a little more like Ann Arbor, a functioning city

Default Ye Old Butcher Shop

Does anyone know what happened to the openng of the Ye Old Butcher Shoppe in midtown in the old zacarros location, It was so well heralded, seemed well planned and is just sitting there...
    and btw, I shop at aldis all the time,, very good value for good products, the absolute best dark chocolate bars for sale, made in Europe, a pastry chef friend of mine from out of town says their chocolate bars are the best value for quality anywhere,,
    Their milk , eggs, cheese, and many other products are extremely good value.
    The store in highland park is suprisingly well kept and stocked..

I'm watching to see if this ends up being part of a larger mixed-use development, or if Whole Foods builds a stand-alone store like their typical suburban stores. I would be ok with a stand-alone store, but I would be really excited to see them occupy the ground floor of a mixed use development.

Are there any plans announced for the site cleared at woodward and warren? That would be the perfect spot for something like this: http://freshneasybuzz.blogspot.com/2...ole-foods.html

Once again, if you could plop a Whole Foods anywhere in Midtown, where would you put it? I would hope they would use some sort of multi-floor layout or at least tie into some kind of parking garage, without taking up a whole block for parking. I don't think Woodward frontage would be the most appropriate. I think one block off Woodward would be best for the following reasons:

Most of what is fronting Woodward at the moment is currently occupied. Demoing someone currently there for a Whole Foods will not bode well.

There are plenty of larger plots of vacant land one block off Woodward east or west requiring no demolition.

Development a block off the Woodward corridor could help pull the momentum of M-1 off the main corridor and into the neighborhood on one side or the other. Not that no one else has done this - there are several great establishments not fronting Woodward, but an added incentive to walk from the new Light Rail a block over to John R. or Cass would be great for foot traffic.

The worst thing that could happen would be for Whole Foods to want a huge footprint, demo something occupied or historic, build their jumbostore and parking lot, then go belly up after a couple years....resulting in a huge empty block of new construction....would anyone want to move into such a site?

I, for one, have only one question for the mayor... "When?"

As for DetroitNerd... If he is correct, then twenty years from now he can laugh at us all who feels there is more than enough room and demand for such a store. He'll be the Nostradamus who foresaw the ruination of Detroit, that had as its catalyst the evil chain store "Whole Foods." [[Someone else can then point to Coleman Young starting the '67 riot upon the opening of the store.)

NorthEndere Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    No, I don't give a shit about Whole Foods. Sorry. Go ahead and have your little yuppie-gasm.
    hipster says what? Honestly, I'm not even emotionally involved in this and am rather indifferent [[Whole Foods isn't really my speed), but your emotional outburst to this and stereotyping of another group if just absolutely ripe with hypocrisy. Grow up.

BTW, the difference between how the Freep and the News reported on this is night and day. The News should be absolutely ashamed of how they covered this [[i.e. getting some guy for Philly to absolutely murder, murder the idea that this could be possible). It's not that they pooh-poohed the idea, it's that they went totally off the rails in their criticism with the 'expert' they conveniently chose.
    Last edited by NorthEndere; April-04-11 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthEnder View Post

BTW, the difference between how the Freep and the News reported on this is night and day. The News should be absolutely ashamed of how they covered this [[i.e. getting some guy for Philly to absolutely murder, murder the idea that this could be possible). It's not that they pooh-poohed the idea, it's that they went totally off the rails in their criticism with the 'expert' they conveniently chose.
    It really is a rag isn't it?
    The site is broken and hard to navigate.
    The editorials aren't fit to pick up dog shit.
    The comment page? I wish I could hate people to death over the internet.

Maybe not all bad if they buy from local farmers:

Dan Carmody, president of the Eastern Market Corp., said he and Whole Foods representatives have held meetings in Detroit to explore lining up local growers and other potential producers to supply food products to a store in the city.

Whole Foods typically buys produce from local growers as a way of assuring customers that they will find the freshest products in its stores.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011040...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

They also often source their bread from a local bakery, though they also do some baking in-house.

Quote Originally Posted by Nee View Post
    Let me clarify, relatively safe & secure parking.
    I parked there relatively safe and secure several times. I even **gasp** parked on the street!

I don't understand the YOBS situation. They move into an existing, built-out retail space, with equipment [[if I remember seeing it through the window), zoning and financing in place. Should be a relative snap [[in the Detroit scheme of things). Is something else going on?

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to the openng of the Ye Old Butcher Shoppe in midtown in the old zacarros location, It was so well heralded, seemed well planned and is just sitting there...
    and btw, I shop at aldis all the time,, very good value for good products, the absolute best dark chocolate bars for sale, made in Europe, a pastry chef friend of mine from out of town says their chocolate bars are the best value for quality anywhere,,
    Their milk , eggs, cheese, and many other products are extremely good value.
    The store in highland park is suprisingly well kept and stocked..

I believe there was a major sewerage backup problem that happened just as they were getting ready to open. I think the delays are related to problems getting the insurance company to pay out.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdDegreeBurns View Post
    I believe there was a major sewerage backup problem that happened just as they were getting ready to open. I think the delays are related to problems getting the insurance company to pay out.
    This. Also, there was a minor incident that involved a break in, and subsequent installation of security cameras [[which zaccaro's had never done...) As far as I know they should be open in the summer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast