Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jingles in Boofland View Post
    It's commonplace in the US for former presidents, senators, congressmen/women, etc., to get paid exorbitant salaries or speaking fees, after they have left office - They just try to keep all of that hidden from the public as much as they can because they go all out to preserve the false impression their adoring public has of them.

Ten years or so ago, Bill Clinton had a hard time getting a mortgage for their home in fashionable Chappaqua, NY; today he's worth more than $80 million and charges something like $150,000 per appearance for speaking engagements - Hillary Clinton is worth somewhere around $35 million - Obama is worth almost $11 million right now, which is nothing compared to the hundreds of millions the Obama's will rake in when he leaves office with books deals, speaking engagements, board memberships, and other lucrative opportunities they'll be offered.

Considering that Bill Clinton was practically broke when he took office in 1993 as well as when he left, life after politics seems to have been immensely lucrative for ex-heads of state in recent years, Tony Blair included - Ronald Reagan was once paid $2 million for one speech he gave in Japan, but I believe too that they all have the right to make as much money as they can legally of course, in a free, capitalist society.

Senators and congressmen/women usually end up working for lobbying firms, where they can put to use the dubious skills they acquired in manipulating The Body Politic to suit them personally and politically as "lawmakers"; which is really what their terms in office are all about, to build a résumé born of huff, puff, and falsehoods, so they can land that six or seven-figure income loaded with perks and pleasures, plus a house in the Hamptons, and a getaway in Malibu - When the job calls for pushing the nefariously selfish interests of big business, and the agendas of dangerous third world countries, among other unsavory job descriptions, they more than fill the bill - To call them disingenuous would be a compliment; to call them a disgrace would be the truth.
    Yes, disingenuous was the wrong word but being British of course the right word is totally unprintable. I also take your point about the money these people make in 'free' capitalist societies like the US and the UK. Yes, let them do it, there's nothing we can do or say to change it anyway. They're never going to show any sort of restraint themselves and so we're stuck with it. They should have more honour and all that but I imagine I'm just singing into the wind there.

No what I really object to with Blair is that his Middle East Envoy 'job' is funded by tax payers. We pay for that million pound a year apartment in Jerusalem that he has uses once a month and we also pay for him to flap around the middle east doing nothing beyond spouting platitudes at people. I have no doubt that this current Prime Minister, Cameron, will also find some 'job' to do when he leaves another great mess for some other over ambitious rich kid to clear up in 4 years time. Where are the politicians who give a damn about their country over their own career? What has happened to them?

I expect you all know about the parlous state of the European economy now. Even outside the Euro zone we all live in the shadow of a run on the banks [[even though the UK government says 'No! No! No!' - I wouldn't trust them with my piggy bank). So, in the spirit of Lent and Ramazan, I have decided to give something up as a form of penance. The thing I'm giving up, for a week, is news. I'm not going to read any newspapers, watch news on TV or listen to it in the car. OK, it's a form of denial but I think I need this in order to be able to get some strength for the hard road ahead. I'm just totally wrung out by this constant stream of woe! We have a fantastic cartoon character here called Fungus the Bogeyman. He's a dismal, filthy individual who makes his living scaring people in the night and engendering boils on people's necks. One of his sayings is 'Nothing is permanent but woe; and I'm starting to think that way myself - and I mustn't! I am not a bogeyman!

We have a big march in London today. Students are taking to the streets again in protest at the government cuts to the education budget. Already we're seeing applications to university down as only those with money are again able to afford it. Business leaders are in a flap because they think the march will be violent. I don't think so personally but we'll see. My son is currently working at the centre of the route so he will no doubt let me know. But then all of Europe is on the march at the moment and so our governments will just have to deal with it. They were the ones who mismanaged our economies. They are the ones who still keep on pumping billions of pounds into the corrupt banking system.

Unfortunately the 'big' march was not so big after all. The state put zillions of police on the streets, all in full riot gear and I think that the intimidation was just too much for a lot of people. Italy is the big story over here in Europe at the moment as we all hold our collective breaths to see if it will follow Greece down the path to Euro chaos. Even countries outside the Euro will be affected if this happens as Italy is the third largest economy in Europe. Who knows? But then I suppose we have to be thankful for small mercies, at least Silvio Berlusconi has resigned. Wonder if he celebrated with one last 'Bunga Bunga!' party? Terrible man! But then as one of our comedians said last night on TV he has been a sort of a rolling soap opera/comedian for many years and we in Europe will kind of miss him. Most of us couldn't care what he gets up to in his bedroom [[few Europeans are hardline moralists now), provided it is legal, but he has also wrecked his country's economy and will be responsible for a lot of grief and unemployment and that isn't funny.

Yes, police presence is coming down on the Occupiers as well. It is so strange that our leaders decry quasi-military actions against citizens in any OTHER country, but here? Bring it! Hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Yes, police presence is coming down on the Occupiers as well. It is so strange that our leaders decry quasi-military actions against citizens in any OTHER country, but here? Bring it! Hypocrites.
    Totally! But then to point to someone else's short-comings is always a good distraction tactic for a government. Over here it's all the fault of the 'Eurozone' at the moment. They are apparently responsible for our recession [[which of course isn't a recession!) not our own government of crooks and liars. No it's all the foreign crooks and liars. What a crock!

Off to Istanbul in a couple of days. Will tell you all about it when I get back. Now I have to find my toothbrush...

I would have got my act together to get back on DetroitYes some days ago, but on my journey back from Istanbul I pulled a muscle in my back and have spent the past week just about managing to walk. Much better now, but this is what happens when you're a middle aged woman with a suitcase walking across Manchester. Because I am not either blonde and pretty or old and frail I just get left to my own devices even when I'm clearly in big luggage trouble. But anyway...

Istanbul was fantastic and it was great to be able to meet up with old friends and explore new and exciting parts of the city. This time I gave a book talk in the lovely old Pera Palas Hotel which is where the passengers on the Orient Express used to stay. I'm going to set a book in there and so I also had a good poke around the place too. Also the management let me stay in the room that Agatha Christie always used when she was in Istanbul. Hopefully that great queen of crime fiction will inspire me.

No sign of recession in Turkey as yet. But friends tell me that prices are rising and there is fear that the Eurozone crisis might bleed over into Turkey. But not yet. I hope.

I hope you feel better really soon. At least you got hurt on the way back, so you didn't have to deal with it on your trip. I think it is fantastic you got to stay in the same room as Agatha Christie. Of course I read every one of her books. May she inspire you [[but I'm sure you can come up with a better plot!).

I hope you feel better really soon. At least you got hurt on the way back, so you didn't have to deal with it on your trip. I think it is fantastic you got to stay in the same room as Agatha Christie. Of course I read every one of her books. May she inspire you [[but I'm sure you can come up with a better plot!).
    Thanks. My back is a lot better now.

Well, Christmas is nearly upon us but I have a full week of work before that can happen. In January I must complete the work on the first of my new series books and do my comedy set at the Comedy Club in Manchester. I finally settled on a set featuring me as the Devil. I mean what better place for the Devil to hide than in the guise of a middle aged woman? Talk about being invisible! Anyway here's wishing you all a very Happy Christmas and a healthy and peaceful New Year. It's hard, but we have to hope for better things in 2012. Don't know why, but we just do. Also - celebrate! - Charles Dickens in 200 years old and he was just the BUSINESS! Happy Birthday Charles.

So here we are, 2012 and it's Olympic year in the UK. Excuse me if I don't go mad with joy but it strikes me as just INSANE for us to be going ahead with it. In a country that doesn't have enough money to keep its hospitals clean, what is all this Olympic nonsense about? But then why do our rich just keep on getting richer in spite of the recession? I suppose these belong to the many millions of questions that we keep on asking but no one in power ever deigns to answer.

But anyway... I hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year in Detroit. We had a quiet one here in the Nadel household. Our little cat died just before Christmas and we all felt about as festive as a wet weekend in March. We'd had Lily for 10 years, she spent most of her time with me when I was working, she was loving and sweet and I miss her more than I can say. I know some people can't understand how humans can mourn for an animal but I just say that maybe they've never really had a relationship with an animal. But then Lily's death was just the icing on the cake of a year of worry, redundancy and loads of other horrors for us. 2012 had better be an improvement!

I'm so sorry to hear about poor little Lucy. I still miss my wonderful Buster Cat, it has been four years since he died just before Christmas. I keep a picture of him to put up on my computer screen every so often, since he used to lay there across my keyboard while I was working, or trying to work. One thing about the New Year, it does give a us reason to hope for better times, and that gives us incentive to make better things happen, having learned what not to do yet again in the past year.

We ended up getting a nice dog the following March, and she is the light of our lives. She begs for walks when I'm working, or trying to work, which has the advantage of working on my fitness levels. I still miss Buster and would love to get a cat, though. Off for a walk any minute now.

I'm so sorry to hear about poor little Lucy. I still miss my wonderful Buster Cat, it has been four years since he died just before Christmas. I keep a picture of him to put up on my computer screen every so often, since he used to lay there across my keyboard while I was working, or trying to work. One thing about the New Year, it does give a us reason to hope for better times, and that gives us incentive to make better things happen, having learned what not to do yet again in the past year.

We ended up getting a nice dog the following March, and she is the light of our lives. She begs for walks when I'm working, or trying to work, which has the advantage of working on my fitness levels. I still miss Buster and would love to get a cat, though. Off for a walk any minute now.
    Thanks for your good wishes and your story. I know that things will get better vis a vis Lily but it's nice to know that people empathise. Thank you.

Barbara,

Just heard from Django and Sumas that they received your book.

Thank you for the nod in your notes, not sure what I did to deserve that.

Now I'm even more eager to read it.

Cheers and more from a very Londonesque Detroit...50-degrees and rainy today...more than halfway through January.

Sincerely,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Check out the separate thread on New Book: Dead of Night...
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-now-available!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Check out the separate thread on New Book: Dead of Night...
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-now-available!!
    Thanks Kathleen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Barbara,

Thank you for the nod in your notes, not sure what I did to deserve that.

Now I'm even more eager to read it.

Cheers and more from a very Londonesque Detroit...50-degrees and rainy today...more than halfway through January.

Sincerely,
    John
    Thanks. You've got rain, we've got frost and my friends in Istanbul have about 2 feet of snow. Crazy winter is with us again!

Just checking in after my latest trip to London. The marching season is now under way and it feels just like the 1980s again. Back then, because we lived under the regime of Mrs Thatcher, we were always on the march against something - cuts to public services, unfair taxation, discrimination against homosexuals, racism. Now, I'm glad to say, the UK public are hitting the streets about another round of inequality and this time it is disabled people against the cuts. While our rich people still get million pound bonuses and take people to court for criticising them, disabled people could lose their benefits and possibly their homes too. This is scandalous and so it was great to see people on the move against it. Back again to the big city tomorrow for the opening night of a new play about Guantanamo. Will tell you all about it when I return.

I just discovered this thread. I haven't read it all nor do I intend to. But since you mentioned Sylvia Plath, I thought I'd share my favorite Plath poem.

Mad Girl’s Love Song
    Sylvia Plath

I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
    I lift my lids and all is born again.
    [[I think I made you up inside my head.)
    The stars go waltzing out in blue and red,
    And arbitrary blackness gallops in:
    I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.
    I dreamed that you bewitched me into bed
    And sung me moon-struck, kissed me quite insane.
    God topples from the sky, hell’s fires fade:
    Exit seraphim and Satan’s men:
    I fancied you’d return the way you said,
    But I grow old and I forget your name.
    I should have loved a thunderbird instead;
    At least when spring comes they roar back again.

Jingles:

Why not mention the money Sarah Palin has made parroting the rightwing line? Just goes to show you that you don't even have to know anything to make a fortune spouting rightwing propaganda. And I haven't heard of the Sarah Palin Foundation.

Back at my desk now after several weeks in court doing my jury service. This is both a democratic right, a privilege and a burden but I'm glad I've done it. Of course I can't tell you anything about the cases I sat on in detail but I can tell you that it was in what we call a Crown Court which is where criminal offences are tried. The judge and the barristers were all bewigged and gowned and ancient forms of address like 'm'lud' and 'my learned friend' were used. All the cases I sat on were crimes of violence but also, except in one instance, of deprivation too. The people who came before us, whether victim, defendant or witnesses were down on their luck in some way. They were unemployed or addicts or lived in derelict parts of the city or all three. To their credit the judges did make efforts to take these factors into account in their sentencing but justice moves so slowly in this country. Most of the offences that we tried had taken place this time last year! Just crazy. The system is so unwieldy and expensive.

Your account reminds me of one of my all-time favorite BBC series, "Rumpole of the Bailey" starring Leo Kern.

I could see where you would at least benefit from the experience for your writing topic.

I am curious if you would care to share what your payment was and how it compares with the paltry few dollars we receive here. I agree with the service and duty part, but I don't think a hundred dollars a day for duty is out of line since the judges, staff and lawyers are all making far more than that. It's about $15 a day here which sometimes won't cover the cost of parking.J

Justice is expensive but necessary and it needs to be extended to cover a little more of juror's costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Your account reminds me of one of my all-time favorite BBC series, "Rumpole of the Bailey" starring Leo Kern.

I could see where you would at least benefit from the experience for your writing topic.

I am curious if you would care to share what your payment was and how it compares with the paltry few dollars we receive here. I agree with the service and duty part, but I don't think a hundred dollars a day for duty is out of line since the judges, staff and lawyers are all making far more than that. It's about $15 a day here which sometimes won't cover the cost of parking.J

Justice is expensive but necessary and it needs to be extended to cover a little more of juror's costs.
    It's not brilliant here but it is more than 15 dollars. You get £64.95 for a full day of service, £32.47 for half [[these are the maximum that can be awarded). Plus you get any parking fees on top, mine were £3.50 per day and then mileage which at .31p per mile is really poor. Remember that the cost of living is much higher here than it is in the US with housing, fuel, and food all really expensive when compared to the US. That said of course, our lawyers, like yours earn a FORTUNE!!

But they have to dress up like women from the 1700s, so at least they put out a bit o' effort for their cash. I think Shakespeare was right. The world would be better without most of them.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast