Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Just back from a real centre of insanity, my beloved London. I'm there more and more now and will soon have to find some sort of solution to these endless 250 mile drives. Last Friday driving home there was an accident on one of the motorways I use and I was held up for hours. By the time I got in I looked like death. But at least, unlike so many people over here now, I am working. I'm also giving a talk about crime in London next Tuesday at a wonderful place called the Bishopsgate Institute. This started life in the 19th century as an educational facility for 'the poor'. It still operates in that capacity to some extent today and I have performed a lot of my research there for absolutely no cost at all. Long may it continue and here's hoping that we actually get more such places in the future. Not that it looks likely at the moment. There's a lot of breath holding over here at the moment around the possibility that we might have to bale out the Greek economy. What with I don't know but at the same time I do have a lot of sympathy for Greece too. They, like us, were led into the abyss by their appalling bankers and financiers. Hope you've got some sunshine over there!

A few years ago there was a lot of controversy about a proposal put to a London council [[Tower Hamlets) regarding planning permission for a minaret beside a mosque in a street called Brick Lane. Some locals feared some vast tower which would dominate an area mainly composed of old 17th century weavers houses. The mosque in question had been a synagogue right up until the 1970s when the area became largely Bengali and, before that, a church. To be honest I didn't know what to think about the minaret. Although I felt it could only be a good thing for the local Bengali's to have their minaret, I could also sympathise with those locals who felt that a large metal tower would not look in keeping with the area. Last week I saw the minaret for the first time since it was built. It is beautiful. It glistens in the sunlight, is imaginatively styled and it blends in seamlessly with the area. But how can that be? It stands next to a 17th century ex-church and synagogue with Latin inscriptions on the side. It should indeed look appalling and out of place. But it doesn't. It looks just right because Spitalfields, is a place where things can and do look right. A haven for refugees for centuries, it remains a place of immigration and of change. The minaret is perfect for this time in this place. First we had the French refugees, then the Irish, Spanish, Jewish, Bengali... And as well as noticing the minaret I also noticed a few shops that are now selling Eastern European goods. Hello and welcome to another group of people in the long line of those East London has taken to its bosom.

Barbara, thanks for your letters. I, and I am sure the many others, await your take on the News of the World scandal. Have you checked to see if your accounts have been hacked? It seems everyone else has had theirs compromised. Would your Istanbul detective ever consider getting information in this manner?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Nadel View Post
    A few years ago there was a lot of controversy about a proposal put to a London council [[Tower Hamlets) regarding planning permission for a minaret beside a mosque in a street called Brick Lane. Some locals feared some vast tower which would dominate an area mainly composed of old 17th century weavers houses. The mosque in question had been a synagogue right up until the 1970s when the area became largely Bengali and, before that, a church. To be honest I didn't know what to think about the minaret. Although I felt it could only be a good thing for the local Bengali's to have their minaret, I could also sympathise with those locals who felt that a large metal tower would not look in keeping with the area. Last week I saw the minaret for the first time since it was built. It is beautiful. It glistens in the sunlight, is imaginatively styled and it blends in seamlessly with the area. But how can that be? It stands next to a 17th century ex-church and synagogue with Latin inscriptions on the side. It should indeed look appalling and out of place. But it doesn't. It looks just right because Spitalfields, is a place where things can and do look right. A haven for refugees for centuries, it remains a place of immigration and of change. The minaret is perfect for this time in this place. First we had the French refugees, then the Irish, Spanish, Jewish, Bengali... And as well as noticing the minaret I also noticed a few shops that are now selling Eastern European goods. Hello and welcome to another group of people in the long line of those East London has taken to its bosom.
    This needed a photo and I love a treasure hunt so I found the corner of Brick Lane and Fournier Street in Google Maps. Unfortunately, Street View shows no minaret but they do have a photo of it.

Brick Lane is a very interesting street!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Barbara, thanks for your letters. I, and I am sure the many others, await your take on the News of the World scandal. Have you checked to see if your accounts have been hacked? It seems everyone else has had theirs compromised. Would your Istanbul detective ever consider getting information in this manner?
    I'm just too low rent for Murdoch, Lowell! And no, Cetin Ikmen wouldn't stoop THIS low!

Oh the News of the World scandal! What can I say? People have been complaining about Murdoch's dodgy practices for years and nothing has happened until now. Maybe this had something to do with the fact that Rupert Murdoch has been so close with successive Prime Ministers that people have wondered whether they share a bed. Look at how bad it had to get before the government acted! The News of the World was hacking the phones of murder victims and dead soldiers. Now our government want some sort of pat on the back for finally doing something about it. But no-one is inclined to do that. Just days ago PM David Cameron was all cosy, cosy with Murdoch, now he's virtually calling him the devil. Do me a favour! I am sorry for the ordinary News of the World staff who have all lost their jobs. But Murdoch's editor, Rebekah Brooks is still on staff. But then it was ever thus. It's always the 'little people' who take the pain for those up top. As you can tell, I'm a bit pissed off about this. My country is melting down into economic slush and our government spend all their time telling us how ethical they're being over Murdoch. Makes you want to weep.

So now the News International scandal moves over to the States. Were their journalists indeed hacking into the phones of 9/11 victims? Who the hell do they get to do these things? Apparently the News of the World editor, Rebekah Brooks has just resigned.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Nadel View Post
    News of the World editor, Rebekah Brooks has just resigned.
    Heads had to roll and it couldn't be Rupert's. [unfortunately].

Now we are awaiting investigations of his practices over here. Since he made himself an American citizen, there are laws here that could penalize is his corporations for what they did in the UK.

He as likewise uses his media empire to garner political power over here, albeit not to the extent he did over there. If you are a rising star on the right, his FOX network virtually guarantees you a show and book promotion that will make you an instant millionaire. Just ask the former half-governor of Alaska.

Just a sleepless night and thought I'd say hey!

Have finally moved into our Field home and it is a bit of an adjustment. Mom died and the transititions are difficult. Matt has been stellar getting us set up with computers Etc.

Did sit on our front porch and loved it at 1 am.

If you make it back to the D. I insist you stay here. Free ... girl friend!

Dear, dear Sumas, I am so sorry to hear about your Mum's death. No wonder you're sleepless. So glad you've got Ron and Matt and your family. You really need people at times like this. Your Field house is so beautiful I hope that is soothes your soul. And be certain I will make it back to the D and I'll take you up on that offer. Not a day goes by without my thinking about Detroit. In fact I'd really like to be there right now! Lots of love and hugs, Barbara.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Heads had to roll and it couldn't be Rupert's. [unfortunately].

Now we are awaiting investigations of his practices over here. Since he made himself an American citizen, there are laws here that could penalize is his corporations for what they did in the UK.

He as likewise uses his media empire to garner political power over here, albeit not to the extent he did over there. If you are a rising star on the right, his FOX network virtually guarantees you a show and book promotion that will make you an instant millionaire. Just ask the former half-governor of Alaska.
    Oh, Lowell, what can I say? All the pigeons are coming home to roost and all we can hope it that the really fat pigeons right at the top take the hardest fall of all. This morning the Chief of the Metropolitan Police resigned and his deputy is expected to resign in the near future too. However before Chief Stevens resigned he did defend himself and said that basically he was being made a scapegoat. He also named the Prime Minister as one who has been far too close to Murdoch. We knew this but to have a police chief say it could be serious. This could bring the government down. Not that that would be a bad thing. Cameron and his henchmen are ruining our economy and consigning tens of thousands [[so far) to the scrap heap. The sooner they go the better. However the Murdoch clan are in Parliament to answer questions tomorrow probably with the most powerful law firm in the country in tow. Will keep you posted. By the way Rebekah Brooks was arrested yesterday.

My bet is she was chosen as the 'weakest link' in the inner circle, and was arrested in some lame attempt to break her and get her to turn into a prosecuting asset.

This will backfire on them, unfortunately. I think she is likely the second-toughest and most ruthless of them all...just behind ol' Rupert's slimey-damn-self. That image of her being taken away was a perfect one-eyed Masonic pose, too, wonder if THAT was on purpose?!

This is merely a ploy to get us all churned up and hopeful...but Murdock will slither out of it. Against all our hopes...of course. And we'll be as tossed as America was over that Tot Mom trial, which was the previous distraction from the scalping and destruction of the planet by those in power.

Sincerely,
    John

The Murdoch's are now in the House of Commons along with the ex-heads of the Metropolitan Police. The man who originally blew the whistle on this whole story was found dead at his flat last night. apparently there are no suspicious circumstances but you can imagine what the rumour mill is doing! Also if the police are indeed corrupt can we actually trust them to decide what is suspicious and what is not?

There can ONLY be no suspicions from those who do not know the technology which exists for subtle elimination of 'troublesome' humans.

They can induce heart attacks from a distance with an ElectroMagnetic radiowave tuned to a particular frequency. Drop some highly volatile substance under their pillow and induce fast-moving cancer...you DO remember that Russian who was killed in that manner only a few years ago, doncha?! A poison dart from over the hedge.

The fact that this fellow stood up against the Murdoch machine, with its tentacles woven throughout the fabric of British society up to the highest reaches of political power [[although the Royals are somehow exempt from this mess thus far), is enough to prove that his death is suspect. Anyone who says otherwise is a hopeful dreamer, somewhat naive, ignorant, or part of the problem...or any combination of those!

Sincerely,
    John

The fact that this fellow stood up against the Murdoch machine, with its tentacles woven throughout the fabric of British society up to the highest reaches of political power [[although the Royals are somehow exempt from this mess thus far), is enough to prove that his death is suspect. Anyone who says otherwise is a hopeful dreamer, somewhat naive, ignorant, or part of the problem...or any combination of those!

Well, I'm none of those, but I'm skeptical. Why kill him now, when the shit has already hit the fan? Doesn't make sense.

Last week he said he had MORE to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Last week he said he had MORE to say...
    Again, I don't see how that would matter when the info. that has already come out is bad enough. The "machine" is going down the tubes already. Killing this guy isn't going to save them.

You are mistaking public discourse with legal testimony.

He is now unable to be a part of the official circus that is on the telly now.
    Last edited by Gannon; July-19-11 at 11:21 AM.

Murdoch has apparently said that he isn't responsible for any of the phone hacking, the police bribery or anything. Yeah, right. I've just been told that earlier this afternoon a little trip he made to 10 Downing Street by the back door just after Cameron won the election has come up. No wonder Cameron is cutting his African tour short! As for the royals, I don't think they probably do have anything to do with all this. Unlike most people who, like the great Seasick Steve 'Started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left' they have never wanted for anything. Why would they get involved with a grubby little media tycoon? Another bunch of people who live in a totally charmed and separate world.

Thom Hartmann & John Nichols: Rupert Murdoch Has Gamed American Politics Too

At 7:44, Hartmann says:
    Am I the only person on the planet who thinks it's suspicious that Sean Hoare was found dead the other day, he being the only guy that could connect Murdoch and the Cameron government?

The way I read the wind blowing here, I don't think that this affair will be allowed to reach Cameron. I think the Met Police will take the fall, just as I think that only junior Murdoch employees will really suffer. Twas ever thus.

Seems it was only a matter of time...before the Royals get dragged into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Seems it was only a matter of time...before the Royals get dragged into this.
    I'm still not sure about that. At the moment they are amongst the possible injured parties, having had their phones hacked - allegedly. But who knows? At that level everyone knows everyone and so anything is possible. Murdoch has now returned to the States and I doubt we'll see him here again in the near future. But news this morning is that apparently the police are to investigate all our newspapers, whether they are owned by Murdoch or not. Quite who in the police they are getting to do this, I don't know. Who can be trusted and who can't? David Cameron in the meantime is looking very serious and upset. Well that helps.

I spent a lot of time over at the Olympic site last week. Masses of tourists and lots of tee shirts and other very expensive memorabilia already for sale. The stadium is actually quite dull it's the velodrome and aquatic centres that are really impressive. However what they'll do about the smell, I just don't know. Beside the Olympic site is a raised up piece of land that is called the Greenway. When I was a kid we called this the 'Sewer Bank' because it's where the main sewerage conduit from the city to the river Thames passes underneath the ground. And because gases can't be allowed to build up inside the pipe there are various vents along the way. These stink as you can imagine. We've heard nothing about this from the Olympic organisers, but what the hell ARE they going to do about it? Short of shoving a load of washing powder down there, I can't imagine. Talk about crazy. By the way you'll all be happy to know that just around the corner from these grand sites is a shabby little swingers club next door to a car breakers. Now that is the London I know!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast