Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

On Farmbrook, in the 50s and 60s, there were several milk men.

Next door got their milk from Borden's - the Divco was yellow on the bottom half, white on the top. Elsie was centered on the truck panel, her head sticking out of a daisy, if I remember correctly.

Down the dtreet towards Southampton, one house had sealtest delivered. His Divco was painted with a gray background. I think the Sealtest oval was red, and the lettering was white.

The Twin Pines guy delivered to another home. I think he had the most attractive paint job for a Divco. Creamy white/yellow, dark green trim.

Two doors down toward Frankfort, they had Rosebud milk dilivered. But the Rosebud guy didn't have a Divco. He drove some boxy-looking rig.

We had Wilson's [used to be Schweitzer's] milk delivered by Erv Schewe. His daughter was my classmate at Bethany, Chatsworth and Outer Drive. Her birthday was February 22, so Mr Schewe delivered vanilla and chocolate ice cream cups for the entire class to enjoy.

Use to love entering the house thru the milk shoot-into the tiny broomcloset-because I could. Funny thing was, we never locked our doors anyway...

I may have spotted one of these truck rusting away in a small lot on McNichols just west of Davison.
    You can see the row that's a 45 degree angle starting with the white step van. just below the yellow car a red [[rust)roof with white sides.
    Streetview shows alot of bushes in the way.
    http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r22...=yp.Wayne~pg.1

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    I may have spotted one of these truck rusting away in a small lot on McNichols just west of Davison.
    You can see the row that's a 45 degree angle starting with the white step van. just below the yellow car a red [[rust)roof with white sides.
    Streetview shows alot of bushes in the way.
    http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r22...=yp.Wayne~pg.1
    Too bad you can't zoom in, I'd like a closer look.

I may go Fallout Shelter sign hunting again this Saturday.
    If I do, I will be going by that place again on my way into my search area.
    And I'll get a pic this time.

Do you collect the signs or just take photos of them?

I have a few that are new, and one that is from a building[[saginaw area antique shop, was told it came from a building that was being gutted)
    I tried to save one from the School building on grand river and canfield.[[name escapes me).But it was too far gone to be displayable. I'd like to get the one outside, but I would need a ladder and to know how to remove it without destroying it.
    I mostly go to find them, I know that almost every building downtown was one, but few are still marked. Cobo was until recently, by the water front entrance towards the rencen.All the one's I've found are on waymarking.com [[under EL1998P71)
    I'd post a link, but for some reason it doesn't work half the time.

Some interesting shapes, But I'm not sure any look like a DIVCO from all angles?

Attachment 4618

Attachment 4619

Attachment 4620

I circled the vehicle that I think is a divco truck

Twin Pines DIVCO...............get yours at Detroitkidshowcom

Attachment 4625

Attachment 4626

M CD M
    I'm thinking it looks too large compared to the cars around it, I was looking for something the size of the white Aerostar looking vech. closer to the fence?
    Hope someone can drive by and get some pic's if it is!

Around noon today I got to drive by that location.
    I'm not 100% on it, but it looks like a divco truck to me.

Compared to every other picture on this thread, This one seems extended just a bit.

The painting and the toy models and this truck all seem to have larger windows forward of the door than the B/W photo of the Twin Pines truck.

Attachment 4657

Could have been different models built depending on the customer,or just different years? But I think you have found one!
    It would be great if you can get some closer pic's , and of the inside.
    I'd love to know the history of that truck.

Well if you can see the dog at the bottom of the photo, getting closer would not be a good idea. and it looks like just a lot of vehicles. No signs for a business. So I doubt i'd find any info on it.

lol, I see the dog now! nothing in that truck we need to see that bad.

Toolbox Guest

That DIVCO has been sitting there for at least 10 years. The auto yards in that area have yeilded a treasure trove of remarkable vehicles over the years. 56Packman can probably name a few of the great finds.

M CD M,
    I sent a link to your photo to Nick Tisch, the owner and restorer of the Twin Pines DIVCO. He says that it is definitely a DIVCO, and he even knew the location of the junkyard. The owner wants $1,000 for it, but it's in pretty rough shape.

Wow! $1,000 bucks?
    I guess if someone wants it bad enough they'll pay that.
    I wouldn't.

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    Wow! $1,000 bucks?
    I guess if someone wants it bad enough they'll pay that.
    I wouldn't.

$1,000 is not outrageous and it could be a treasure trove of parts for someone restoring a better but incomplete vehicle. What it is worth to you might not be what it is worth to someone interested in that particular vehicle. I have spent more on a few hard to find parts for some of the vehicles I have worked on in the past.

Default Love it!!!

What a tribute to your Dad!! My father was also a milk man for Twin Pines. To this day I meet people who say "Is Don Mudd your father? He used to be my Milk Man." It makes me so proud, as I'm sure it does so many people whose dads were the same..I wish I had a picture of his old route truck...God Bless you for being such wonderful dedicated sons!

My Dad used to work for Divco back in the 1950s and maybe early 1960s. For a while he was a test driver. He used to talk about running those trucks out into the Auburn Hills area and talk about all the mushroom farms that were out there [[I guess very little otherwise). He got very ill in 1995 and past in 1996. While he was in hospice we did get a call from a man who was writing a book about Divco's. My mom and I relayed what we knew and it ended up in the book.

I recall being a young child growing up in East Detroit in the very early 1970s. We were still getting milk deliveries by our milk man. My dad didn't want the service to go even though he had moved on to General Motors. I can still remember the metal racks and glass bottles.

SteadySky, Do you recall the name of the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtoplover59 View Post
    SteadySky, Do you recall the name of the book?
    i'd bet a nickel it's this: http://www.amazon.com/DIVCO-history-.../dp/0966075110

but it could be this...
    http://www.divcothelittlemilktruck.com/

amazing what google plus the words "divco" and "book" can turn up...

looks like there are other discussions of divco truck restorations out there.

Ragtoplover59,

The book is titled: "DIVCO, A History of the Truck and Company," written by Robert R. Ebert and John S. Rienzo, Jr. I received an autographyed copy for the authors because of the information provided. My dad is referenced in Chapter 5, Note 34 on Page 147. I forgot, but as it turns out he was once Vice President of UAW Local 889 that was associated with the DIVCO-Wayne Corporation. The book was published by Antique Power, Inc.

Thanks SteadySky, I'm going to pick one of those up!

I wouldn't mind picking this up too!
    http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...-truck/229318/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast