Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Them Divcos are pretty neat.This has got me thinking

2. Default

Speaking of Milk chutes, my family would send one of our kids through it when we got locked out of our house, that was cool.

We used to get Sealtest milk delivered to our house when I was a kid.It Mr.Harland Dilly's route.He used a Divco as did the Home Pride Bakery and Awrey's drivers,John and Tom.Even the Home Juice delivery guy had one.He used to spend looooong afternoons with the woman across the street!Hmm,I wonder why?

I saw a restored Twin Pines Divco truck in the St. Clair Shores memorial day parade. Snapped a photo, too. Don't want to attempt an upload...

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    Speaking of Milk chutes, my family would send one of our kids through it when we got locked out of our house, that was cool.
    My gosh - if I could count the number of times I crawled through the milk chute when I forgot my key!!

My mom has a fantastic plastic replica of that truck that she played with as a child in the 50's - it's plastic and in perfect condition. It's plastic with working wheels.
    Last edited by lizaanne; May-28-09 at 12:52 PM.

Spotted a Hot Rodded DIVCO friday afternoon. Looked like a great way to spend its retirement

Two questions:

The link in the original post above indicates that Twin Pines went out of business in the 1970s. Unless my mind is playing tricks with me I remember TP trucks operating well into the 1980s. Can anyone confirm?

I also seem to recall TP using trucks larger than Divcos in my boyhood neighborhood [[Riverview). Does anyone one know of non Divco trucks in the TP fleet?

According to the state's corporation site it appears Twin Pines' last year may have been 1978 and the name dissolved in 1980:

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp...20DAIRY,%20INC.

The Twin Pines brand was sold to C.F. Burger Creamery. In 1990 they sold the brand to Melody Farms. Twin Pines milk, with Milky the Clown on the side of the carton, was still being distributed to area schools well into the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Spotted a Hot Rodded DIVCO friday afternoon. Looked like a great way to spend its retirement
    I'm thinking how cool a Divco would be with a 440 Mopar in it and maybe a 4X4 transfer case... what a toy that would make!

We had Johnson's Creamery deliver our milk. The driver had a Divco truck and parked in the alley behind our house. We lived by a C.F. Smith grocery so we had a commercial alley in the back. When my sister and I would hear him, we would run to the basement landing and open the inside door to the milk chute. When he would open the outer door to put the milk bottles in he would see 2 small faces smiling at him. Still have a few of those multi layered paper caps that had the staple in it that sealed the milk bottles.

During the mid to late 40's we had a Sealtest delivery in Sherwood Forest. I can remember helping the route man deliver milk along the route, till the time I tripped over a step on a customer's sidewalk, fell, and broke six bottles of milk. What a mess!

During the mid to late 40's we had a Sealtest delivery in Sherwood Forest. I can remember helping the route man deliver milk along the route, till the time I tripped over a step on a customer's sidewalk, fell, and broke six bottles of milk. What a mess!

I worked for a printing company throughout the 90's. We did the printing for Melody Farms. When I would deliver the printing I recall there were a couple of older Twin Pines trucks in the yard. As for when Twin Pines branded products dissapeared I cannot say. I do know that Garden City schools sold Twin Pines in 83/84 cause I bought a milk at lunch. Also I am pretty sure that Wayne/Westland sold their products also in the 80's. Because my lunch at school was KingDons and chocolate milk.
    Yeah 440 in a Divco would work.

Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    My gosh - if I could count the number of times I crawled through the milk chute when I forgot my key!!

My mom has a fantastic plastic replica of that truck that she played with as a child in the 50's - it's plastic and in perfect condition. It's plastic with working wheels.
    I crawled thru our chute many times, as a kid and a teenager. I had to bang on the inside chute door a bit to get it to open up. I still have a very clear memory of crawling thru the chute very late at night when I was about 16 or so and having dad walk into the kitchen as I was halfway thru the milkchute [[the chute was next to the side door, where there were a couple of steps up into the hallway leading into the kitchen) - busted!

Default Sealtest Milkman needs help

I worked for my uncle back in the early 60's delivering Sealtest milk and other dairy products in Warren [[12 mile and Schoenherr area) while finishing high school and then a few years while at U of D night school. It was a great job because my workday ended early, kept me in good shape and I had time to study before night classes.
    I drove a Divco truck but never thought to take any pictures.
    I am now at age 66 into Toy Trains, O Gauge. I have some Divco trucks for my layout but I want to paint one as a Sealtest truck like I drove. I have been unable to find a color picture of a Sealtest Divco Truck. I have seen Twin Pines and Bordens but no Sealtest. Die Cast Direct has even come out with a beautiful model of the Twin Pines truck but I have never been able to find a Sealtest Divco truck. I would appreciate any help in finding a picture or the color scheme.

JohnHenry

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
    I worked for my uncle back in the early 60's delivering Sealtest milk and other dairy products in Warren [[12 mile and Schoenherr area) while finishing high school and then a few years while at U of D night school. It was a great job because my workday ended early, kept me in good shape and I had time to study before night classes.
    I drove a Divco truck but never thought to take any pictures.
    I am now at age 66 into Toy Trains, O Gauge. I have some Divco trucks for my layout but I want to paint one as a Sealtest truck like I drove. I have been unable to find a color picture of a Sealtest Divco Truck. I have seen Twin Pines and Bordens but no Sealtest. Die Cast Direct has even come out with a beautiful model of the Twin Pines truck but I have never been able to find a Sealtest Divco truck. I would appreciate any help in finding a picture or the color scheme.

JohnHenry
    Is this anything like you're looking for?

I was saved from a house fire by our milkman, Raymond Hillock, in July, 1952, when I was seven months old. My 4-year-old brother was trying to light a cigarette when the flare of the match startled him and he dropped it onto some bedding in my crib. The bedding caught fire. Fortunately, Mr. Hillock was delivering milk into the side chute when he saw smoke coming out of the bedroom window. He rushed into the house and grabbed me and my brother. My Dad woke up, smelled smoke and tried to find us in the smoke-filled bedroom but was unable. When he went outside he saw us with the milkman. There was an article in the three daily newspapers about the incident. One of them had a photograph of me on my Dad's lap while my parents are wagging their forefingers at my brother in chastisement, head bowed in shame. Another photograph showed Mr. Hillock being congratulated by his sons for his heroic deed. A third photograph shows Mr. Hillock being given a leather secretary and a scroll made by local prisoners to honor his heroic act. This is just a guess, but I know that we had Sealtest milk delivered when I was older, so I assume Mr. Hillock was probably a milkman for that dairy company.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    Yup. Had to have ours sealed shut when things started to change and thugs started using kids to crawl through to break in to houses.

Interesting! I was wondering where Twin Pines is from. At work we carry their eggnog around the holidays.

littlebuddy Guest

I remember Twin Pines delivered when I was growing up in Dearborn in the early 60's. The milkman used to give us ice chips in the summer. If I remember right his name or nickname was Peaches. My Aunt lived and still does right behind the old Twin Pines plant over in Detroit.

Thanks to John Henry for posting the news about the toy Twin Pines truck from Die Cast Direct. I will have to feed my nostalgia addiction by buying one. Now, if they would only make a model Great Lakes Transit Co. GMC bus!

Some years back Special Interest Autos magazine had an article on the DIVCO [[Detroit Industrial Vehicle Co.) trucks. Said they were very heavy, crude and inefficient compared with lighter trucks like pickups. I can't imagine flogging one to Florida.

I sell the DIVCO Twin Pines truck thru my website.
    http://www.detroitkidshow.com/get_yo...ines_truck.htm
    They are being manufactured as we speak, for delivery by the holidays.
    A smaller scale Twin Pines truck will be available for purchase next year.

Is Wilson's dairy still in operation?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast