Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Again Detroit/Michigan needs to move away from the auto industry and diversify it's economy. Hopefully a food plant opens up at the former plant. Kraft or any other food company, I hope your reading this.

Piece by piece the auto industry is leaving Detroit. Changing times and greed at the top in my opinion. Is no one using axles anymore or are they moving somewhere to where the work can be done cheaper?
    This won't be "what we do" for long....

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Piece by piece the auto industry is leaving Detroit. Changing times and greed at the top in my opinion. Is no one using axles anymore or are they moving somewhere to where the work can be done cheaper?
    This won't be "what we do" for long....
    The work is going to Marysville, which is up in St. Clair County near Port Huron. I would imagine the price of labor up there is about the same as it is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    The work is going to Marysville, which is up in St. Clair County near Port Huron. I would imagine the price of labor up there is about the same as it is here.
    Labor rates should be the same. See this link for an earlier discussion 2 years ago:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...o-Mexico/page2

In a Free Press article Dick Dausch claimed that employee absenteeism was the problem. A quote, "...on some days it can approach nearly one-third of the workforce in parts of the plant. Lines have been shut down because not enough employees show up."

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    Labor rates should be the same. See this link for an earlier discussion 2 years ago:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...o-Mexico/page2

In a Free Press article Dick Dausch claimed that employee absenteeism was the problem. A quote, "...on some days it can approach nearly one-third of the workforce in parts of the plant. Lines have been shut down because not enough employees show up."

You realize we're talking about two different axle plants, right? That thread was about the AAM axle plant on Holbrook and I-75, and this thread is about the Chrysler axle plant on Lynch Road west of Van Dyke. I don't know whether or not the Chrysler plant had problems with absenteeism, but as far as I know Chrysler hasn't cited them as a reason for closing the plant.