Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Snopes has some interesting ones. Like the classic "Halloween poisoning" hoax that "Culture of Fear" [[Glassner) addresses. One involved a Heroin O.D. from Detroit. http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.aspGotta love that they threw in a segment of Jack Chick comics? Yet, if one were to still insist on the dangers of Halloween, here is PSA from juggler on SNl [[back when SNL used to have interesting acts by random jugglers, magicians, and stand-ups).http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...erformer/n8861

Name:  sea monster.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  98.8 KB

Found this story, which relates to Detroit, on Flower Pot Island in the Georgian Bay.

Soupy denied ever making the racey jokes he made on his kid's show [[like the "Everytime I see F you see K" gag).

Dang! I am amazed at how many sites outside of DY [[about Detroit or at least with a large collection of material elaborating about Detroit) are never mentioned. Someone worked rather hard on Mythic Detroit, so I feel this is a good place to redirect things [[I left off at the Benny Evangelist entry)...and yes, the Purple Gang are mentioned in other articles.http://www.mythicdetroit.org/index.p...ennyEvangelist

I recall that back in the 1960’s, when the price of beef was high, there was a rumor that some Markets in Detroit were selling horse meat. Not sure if it was true and if so was it legal.
    The story was most were just buying the tenderloin. Does anyone know if horsemeat was legal in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Oh yes, I also heard Whole Foods is looking into opening a store near Wayne State.
    I don't get it. Whole Foods has a store close to WSU, in Midtown near Woodward.

Anyway.... urban myths about Detroit? While Detroit certainly has its risks, I think the crime/dangers are exaggerated. Not everyone will agree, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    I don't get it. Whole Foods has a store close to WSU, in Midtown near Woodward.

Anyway.... urban myths about Detroit? While Detroit certainly has its risks, I think the crime/dangers are exaggerated. Not everyone will agree, of course.
    I do remember incidents while living at the edge of Rosedale Park where cops cars would race with full sirens wailing going East up one way, heading South another, heading back West, and then back North and do this circuit at least three headspinning times. This would cover a four to five city block radius that you could hear quite clearly, and this would happen at least four times a week. It seemed to offer no real practical purpose except to elevate folk's fear-ridden adrenalin to think crimes are afoot or that their presence is there.

Well, what I mean is, Detroiters know the real risks in their city, but in the wider world there seems to be a lot of out-of-date cliche's [[or cartoon stereotypes) about Detroit. A comeback will happen, but it takes time to repair decades of post-industrial decline.

Here's an urban legend within a legend, have fun looking into the 'Convict Ship Success'! Without the ease of internet search engines look what they got away with! [[One of many family photos of Belle Isle from the 20s to 30s- yes, this is Belle Isle.) It can also be viewed at a larger size [[to read the signs) at https://flic.kr/p/krKaWt
    Name:  convict ship.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  98.4 KB

Originally Posted by Lowell
    ooo that's a good one. I have heard that Hitler had a photo of Henry Ford in his office. Myth, Legend or fact?
    Fact. Not only a photo, but from the early 1920s through
    Hitler's years in the Speer-designed Reichstag, a large
    photograph and [[later) a life-size oil portrait. Hitler was
    convinced Henry Ford was a great American [1]. He
    awarded HF the Golden Cross of the Order of the German
    Eagle upon HF's 70th birthday in 1937, via Fritz Haller
    the German consul in Detroit [[on right in below image).

"Henry Ford's book" - a screed against Jews called The
    International Jew
    [[TIJ) - was a series or articles published
    in The Dearborn Independent for 91 weeks beginning in
    early 1920. These articles collectively known as TIJ were
    later assembled in a four-volume set [1], which influenced
    many future Nazi leaders [2]. Distribution of abridgements
    were alleged to occur
    recently in some Arab countries.

Notes:

[1] In Germany, Ford's anti-Semitic articles from The Dearborn Independent were issued in four volumes, cumulatively titled The International Jew, the World's Foremost Problem published by Theodor Fritsch, founder of several anti-Semitic parties and a member of the Reichstag. In a letter written in 1924, Heinrich Himmler described Ford as "one of our most valuable, important, and witty fighters."[59] Ford is the only American mentioned in Mein Kampf.[60][61] Adolf Hitler wrote, "only a single great man, Ford, [who], to [the Jews'] fury, still maintains full independence...[from] the controlling masters of the producers in a nation of one hundred and twenty millions." Speaking in 1931 to a Detroit Newsreporter, Hitler said he regarded Ford as his "inspiration," explaining his reason for keeping Ford's life-size portrait next to his desk.[62] Steven Watts wrote that Hitler "revered" Ford, proclaiming that "I shall do my best to put his theories into practice in Germany," and modeling the Volkswagen, the people's car, on the Model T. [[text and citations [59] - [62] from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_..._anti-Semitism)

[2] HF's TIJ was one of four foundational texts of Nazism, the other three being Houston Stewart Chamberlain's The Foundations of the Nineteenth Century [[publ. 1899), Hitler's Mein Kampf [[vol. 1 publ. 1925, vol. 2 publ. 1926), and Alfred Rosenberg's The Myth of the Twentieth Century [[publ. 1935). The latter author - the Nazi Party's so-called "in-house philosopher" - was hung at Nuremberg 16 October 1946.
    Last edited by beachboy; July-27-15 at 06:59 AM.

^^^^Yes, my dad worked at the Henry Ford, and it [[the cross) was confirmed to be in existence residing in one of the Ford properties.

Ford's horrible print-ups in the Dearborn Independent, were just a derivative of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion hoax [[which had French satyr inspired and Russian pogromist origins) which has spread around the world worse than most forms of STD. Even Idi Amin and many Japanese cultists have loosely based many of their ideologies from it.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pr...Elders_of_Zion

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4