Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Alot of the original recipes in the restaurant came from my Aunts first husband Daniel who died i beleive somewhere in the early to mid 90s, although they were divorced [[because Daniel was gay) they remained close friends till the end. Before Under the Eagle Daniel owned a moderately upscale polish restaurant right near Indian Village, which i dont kno too many details about. After handing the Under the Eagle to Teresa, shortly before his unexpected death he planned on building a new upscale Polish restaurant on property he owned in downtown royal oak at the time. Unfortunately due to politics, no one inherited this plot of land nor did anyone pull through with his restaurant idea, and thats when fine Polish dining in the Detroit area died for good. Till this date Polish food remains more humble and never reached the same level of sophistication as Italian or even Middle Eastern cuisine. Not that theres anything wrong with being humble, but as a Pole i wouldnt mind seeing moderately upscale Polish restaurants and Polish-fusion restaurants like the ones u'd find in downtown Warsaw or Krakow.

Quote Originally Posted by Detronic View Post
    Alot of the original recipes in the restaurant came from my Aunts first husband Daniel who died i beleive somewhere in the early to mid 90s, although they were divorced [[because Daniel was gay) they remained close friends till the end. Before Under the Eagle Daniel owned a moderately upscale polish restaurant right near Indian Village, which i dont kno too many details about. After handing the Under the Eagle to Teresa, shortly before his unexpected death he planned on building a new upscale Polish restaurant on property he owned in downtown royal oak at the time. Unfortunately due to politics, no one inherited this plot of land nor did anyone pull through with his restaurant idea, and thats when fine Polish dining in the Detroit area died for good. Till this date Polish food remains more humble and never reached the same level of sophistication as Italian or even Middle Eastern cuisine. Not that theres anything wrong with being humble, but as a Pole i wouldnt mind seeing moderately upscale Polish restaurants and Polish-fusion restaurants like the ones u'd find in downtown Warsaw or Krakow.
    The food you find in these places is what???? a little dated. People in Poland don't even know what that shit is!!

Having grown up in a Polish family, I've NEVER found a Polish restaurant - not even Under the Eagle OR Polonia's - at which the food quality was anything close to what my grandmother made at home. However, one that was pretty good - and that even my grandmother liked - was one we ate at in Gaylord on vacation. Even though it's been almost 30 years since I've been there, I see it's apparently still around - Busia's Kitchen.

http://www.dineoutlist.com/michigan/gaylord/busia`s_polish_kitchen/

Quote Originally Posted by Detronic View Post
    Wasn't the Indian Village place also called "Under the Eagle"? Ate there once and enjoyed it a great deal. Had some kind of roast stuffed with dill pickles.