Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

There may be a set of plans on file at City of Detroit, Dept. of Building Engineering [[or whatever name this area goes under today) which used to be located in the Cadillac Tower. Another source might be Ford Mtr archives or one of the associated sources at Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village. I doubt the Detroit Symphony would have anything, as their association ended over two decades ago. Another source might be the Civic Center offices. Also I would imagine the demolition company that the city contracts with would be provided with plans...keep in mind the garage is not being demolished. My best theory is the City offices. Good luck...
    and thanks for the "thanks" regarding previous postings.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    The entrances to the underground garage are in the median of Jefferson, but it hasn't been used in quite awhile. I believe there are gates that block anyone from entering it.
    I find that hard to believe since I just parked there 10 minutes ago. Underground parking garage is indeed open and useable, albeit a bit crumbly.

I wish CC would have put up a better fight for this building, if only for its structural integrity. I've been inside Ford Auditorium as recently as a month ago and was and still is amazed as to how its holding up on the inside and outside. As opposed to other buildings [[*coughPackardPlantcough*) which are the definition of eyesore and decrepit. Also, I can safely say that there are NO set plans or funds in place to build an outdoor concert venue for this land. It'll just be torn down, dirted over and left to sit just like the Lafayette Building or Tiger Stadium. Hell, the greening of Hart Plaza that was proposed a few years ago has all but stopped dead in its tracks. Thanks again "Demolition is Progress" citizens.

Wow, it really IS ugly inside.....

Your combination of history with the current pictures is really great and gave much more of a feel for the building than a simple gallery of buildings would have done. Thanks very much for sharing it with us.

It's very odd to me that homeless people are living in that building, but I'm glad they haven't [[yet) destroyed the interior. I'm always curious- how do they get into these buildings?

I've noticed lately that another interesting building, the CPA building on Michigan Ave., has nearly all of its windows open and presumably has been destroyed inside in the last few months. As recently as a couple of years ago part of that building was being used by the LDS church. I often see homeless men nearby it now.

Quote Originally Posted by cosine View Post
    Great job Turbex!! One minor factoid -- the picture of the cornerstone laying for the auditorium [[I think it's the 9th slide) shows Henry Ford II, not William Clay Ford.
    I Noticed the same thing.
    Besides that it was very well done and informative.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I'm always curious- how do they get into these buildings?
    When I stopped by Ford Auditorium late Sunday morning, I saw three 30-somethings with super cameras around their necks climbing through one of the front doors that no longer had glass. It had all been busted out, top and bottom.

I shot my exterior views of some terrific architectural details and took my leave.

Tangerine Dream with a laser show in 11 grade....never forget it.

Thanks for the heads-up on the typo, which I fixed.

Kathleen, was that this weekend that you saw people going in there?

Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post
    Kathleen, was that this weekend that you saw people going in there?
    Yes, just two days ago. I poked my head through the door frame and took a shot of the lobby but decided that there was no need to go inside, especially since I was out alone. From what I've seen, the interior is nothing special these days...although looking at the interior photos posted, sure brings back memories of our high school graduation held there in 1975 and my sister's ceremony the following year.

Really great pics!
    I like the building personally, the interior looks like it's the same color as my 89' Bronco II. Ford must have liked that color!
    As I say for any building though, don't tear it down unless you have a plan to replace it!

Maybe they use it to get Compuware employees to plant another garden....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2