Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

though its already so abundantly clear...we need to retrofit and infill our suburbs making them urbanized and walkable...woodward avenue & jefferson are our star corridors not big beaver and hall road

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    though its already so abundantly clear...we need to retrofit and infill our suburbs making them urbanized and walkable...woodward avenue & jefferson are our star corridors not big beaver and hall road
    While I appreciate the attorney's situation, it's ironic that his SE Michigan office is located on ...
    Big Beaver Rd in Troy!

How about he puts his money where his mouth is, and locate in downtown Detroit, or at least downtown Ferndale/RO/Birmingham/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    While I appreciate the attorney's situation, it's ironic that his SE Michigan office is located on ...
    Big Beaver Rd in Troy!

How about he puts his money where his mouth is, and locate in downtown Detroit, or at least downtown Ferndale/RO/Birmingham/etc.
    I did note that too. But he also said they have an office in Ann Arbor.

this firm has been based in Troy since the late 1970's, which is ironic given the subject matter of the letter.
    Exactly. Nothing like whining about a problem you are directly responsible for creating. Where do the partners and associates live now? I'm betting not in any "urban" setting. Fuck you and your concern trolling. This about the same as Chrysler complaining about how Highland Park has really gone downhill.

I think you'd find a line up of students coming out of Wayne State, Cooley, U of D and other law schools around here for a job at a patent law firm.
    True, but, generally engineering backgrounds are required thus the pool gets shallow very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

I think you'd find a line up of students coming out of Wayne State, Cooley, U of D and other law schools around here for a job at a patent law firm.
    True, but, generally engineering backgrounds are required thus the pool gets shallow very fast.

Yeah, and it's not like Detroit has one of the nation's best law schools and one of the nation's best colleges of engineering right in its own backyard.

Forget people relocating to Michigan, for a moment. You can't even hold onto talent you *already have*.

Keep on keepin on with your ostrich syndrome. We've seen how well that works. At least you'll have a vinyl-sided tract home a mere 5 miles down the 10-lane road from the nearest strip mall. And at the end of the day, isn't that what we all really want?
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; March-16-11 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Yeah, and it's not like Detroit has one of the nation's best law schools and one of the nation's best colleges of engineering right in its own backyard.

Forget people relocating to Michigan, for a moment. You can't even hold onto talent you *already have*.

Keep on keepin on with your ostrich syndrome. We've seen how well that works. At least you'll have a vinyl-sided tract home a mere 5 miles down the 10-lane road from the nearest strip mall. And at the end of the day, isn't that what we all really want?
    That is great that Ann Arbor has two really good schools. The percentage of those who are both engineers AND lawyers is pretty small. That was point I was making.

Also, UM is not traditionally a place where the law grads had any intention of staying in Michigan in the first place 80% of the students are non-residents [[that's from their own numbers btw...not some anecdote) not only that, but Detroit has never supported the type of wages one would see in the major markets for a top 25 law school grad.

I'm not defending the status quo here. I'm objecting to out of state lectures from people directly fucking responsible for both the brain drain and the sprawl whining about how Detroit sucks. blow me senior partner, move your offices to downtown and be part of the solution or shut the fuck up.

[[ps. Bartok...I agree the grads are there, but I'm assuming this firm..since it has taken the time and spent the money on national recruiting firms, has no intention of interviewing local grads from tier 4 law schools.)
    Last edited by bailey; March-16-11 at 10:16 AM.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    That is great that Ann Arbor has two really good schools. The percentage of those who are both engineers AND lawyers is pretty small. That was point I was making.

Also, UM is not traditionally a place where the law grads had any intention of staying in Michigan in the first place 80% of the students are non-residents [[that's from their own numbers btw...not some anecdote) not only that, but Detroit has never supported the type of wages one would see in the major markets for a top 25 law school grad.

I'm not defending the status quo here. I'm objecting to out of state lectures from people directly fucking responsible for both the brain drain and the sprawl whining about how Detroit sucks. blow me senior partner, move your offices to downtown and be part of the solution or shut the fuck up.

[[ps. Bartok...I agree the grads are there, but I'm assuming this firm..since it has taken the time and spent the money on national recruiting firms, has no intention of interviewing local grads from tier 4 law schools.)
    Good point, Baily. I'd also add with regard to U of M that hardly any of their graduates take the MI bar exam, for the reasons you mentioned.

bartock Guest

Bailey, I should have mentioned that those students would have had engineering backgrounds. There are, actually, quite a few engineering undergrads in those law schools because this is generally considered fertile ground for patent attorneys.

GhettoP - I don't disagree with what you say, but I don't think that the author of the letter is in any position to comment, and I don't think his points are even valid. To say that this area is not desireable AT ALL is just wrong for any number of reasons, but I'm guessing you were trying to make a point. If my move to Shelby Twp is promoting the status quo, well, as much as 21/Hayes is not Vernier/Mack, it isn't 32/Romeo Plank, either.

...and this gentleman could commute from Woodward/Maple to Royal Oak or Ferndale much faster than to Big Beaver and...anywhere in Troy. There is competitive space in those cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Big Beaver Rd in Troy!

Yeah, I got a kick out of that.
    Just about everything this guy is complaining about is supersized where his business is loacted.

Is there any other road that gets goofed on more on this forum than 16 mile?