Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Firehouses

Thank you for those pictures! The old joker stand is great. I can just see it in it's hey day with the radio, phone, box alarm equipment. The firehouse interiors are really interesting.

Doing a little genealogy research led to a major "scandal" for our family. Seems my great-grandmother divorced my great-grandfather and married Fireman Frank Fitch, in 1901. They divorced after Frank lost his job as a fire boat Captain. She then remarried my great-grandfather. Can't imagine why that was never discussed in the family Found a copy of a newspaper announcement that gave us this tidbit. So, in researching Frank, I have discovered the following:
    1887 Frank was with "Chauncy Hurlbut" Steam Fire Engine Co. No. 9, Larned & Riopelle. He was 29 years old, Badge #94
    1890/91 Frank was with Eagle Hook and Ladder Co. No. 2
    1895/98 Frank was at Chemical Fire Engine, No. 2 - Engine House, Hastings Street, between Larned and Congress, under Lieutenant C.L. Chase
    1901 Fire Boat Captain

Are any of these stations still standing? Any idea how to find out more about Frank's career as a fireman? Do records still exist for that far back?

Any historical information you are looking for, someone on here will chime in, and I would contact Mr. Lancaster at DFD headquarters in the Fireman Fund Office on the 2nd floor. He is the department historian, He may have some information on that person.

I was recently looking for information about someone else who worked for the DFD in the time period, so I thought I'd have a look for your Frank Fitch. Here's what I could find online.
    Detroit City Directory 1875
    Frank Fitch, silver plater, bds 252 Congress east
    Percival B Fitch, check clerk, G W R R, h 252 Congress e

Detroit City Directory 1880
    Frank Fitch, burnisher E. Bromley, bds 266 Congress e
    Percival Fitch, checker D, G H & M Ry, h 266 Congress e

Detroit city directories
    Polk's Detroit city directory
    Johnston's Detroit city directory and advertising gazetteer of Michigan
    Annual Reports of the City of Detroit 1881
    There's no one named Fitch in the DFD in this report.

Annual Report of the Contoller of the City of Detroit 1885-86
    Francis Fitch, age 27, badge no.215, ladderman Hook & Ladder Co. No.2-on Hastings st. btwn Larned and Congress, occupation-gold plater, residence-266 Congress e.

Annual Report of the Contoller of the City of Detroit 1886-87
    Francis Fitch, age 29, badge no.95, pipeman Steam Engine Co. No.9-Larned and Riopelle, occupation-gold plater, residence-266 Congress st. e.

Annual Message of the Mayor of Detroit 1989
    Francis Fitch, age 30, badge no.94, pipeman Steam Engine Co. No.9-Larned and Riopelle, occupation-gold plater, residence-266 Congress st. e.

Annual Report of the Controller of the City of Detroit 1889-90
    Francis Fitch, age 32, badge no.225, ladderman Hook & Ladder Co. No.2-on Hastings st. btwn Larned and Congress, occupation-gold plater, residence-266 Congress st. e.

Annual Report of the Contoller of the City of Detroit 1890-91
    Francis Fitch, age 33, badge no.225, ladderman Hook & Ladder Co. No.2-on Hastings st. btwn Larned and Congress, occupation-gold plater, residence-266 Congress st. e.
    He was treated by the Department Surgeon for a cold.

Annual Report of the Controller of the City of Detroit 1891-92
    Francis Fitch, age 34, badge no.225, ladderman Hook & Ladder Co. No.2-on Hastings st. btwn Larned and Congress, occupation-gold plater, residence-266 Congress st. e.
    He was treated by the Department Surgeon for a cold.

Annual Report of the Controller of the City of Detroit 1892-93
    Frank Fitch, age 35, badge no.282, steersman Hook & Ladder Co. No.8-Dix and Vinewood aves., occupation-gold plater, residence-496 Baker St.
    He was treated by the Department Surgeon for a strained back.

Annual Report of the Munincipal Commissions of the City of Detroit 1894-95
    Frank Fitch, age 37, badge no.300, Lieutenant Chemical Engine Co. No.1-Wayne and Larned Sts., occupation-gold plater, residence-266 Congress St. e

Annual Report of the City Treasurer 1897-98
    Frank Fitch, badge no.320, Captain Hook & Ladder Co. No.2-Larned and St. Antoine, residence-318 Meldrum Ave.

Annual Report of the Munincipal Commissions of the City of Detroit 1898-99
    Frank Fitch, badge no.320, Captain Hook & Ladder Co. No.2-Larned and St. Antoine, residence-318 Meldrum Ave.

Annual Report of the Munincipal Commissions of the City of Detroit 1899-1900

Annual Report of the Munincipal Commissions of the City of Detroit 1900-1901
    Frank Fitch, badge no.250, Captain Steam Engine Co. No.25-Fire Boat Detroiter near foot of McDougall ave., residence-208 Meldrum ave.Ave.

Annual Report of the Contoller of the City of Detroit 1909-10
    This report doesn't include information about firefighters.
    This book has group photos for all the companies - one every third page.
    Our firemen: a record of the faithful and heroic men who guard the property and lives in the City of Detroit and a Review of the Past 1894

The Burton Historical Collection has better scans of the originals, but the book helps to date them. The Captains named for each company on the photos are exactly the same as listed in the Annual Report of the Controller for 1892-93. Google doesn't have a report for 1893-94, but in the list for 1894-95 three of the captains have changed places. So it seems most likely that Frank Fitch appears in this photo of Ladder No.8 Co.:

Attachment 6305

Less likely is that he's in the photo of Chemical Co.1.

I couldn't find a death certificate for him here: http://www.seekingmichigan.org/

For some reason I couldn't find him in the census either. It can be searched for free using a MI state ID number to log-in at HeritageQuest. Maybe you'd have better luck.

You should be able to find the sites of the firehouses on GoogleMaps or BingMaps.
    I found that all that remains of No.10 is the driveway apron.
    Last edited by Brock7; June-03-10 at 10:36 AM.

Hook & Ladder 2 [[aka Engine 2) moved to Larned and St. Antoine, as shown in the annual data above. The station is still there, but has been undergoing some kind of renovation for commercial use. Here is a picture of it from last summer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4124702...7621986174095/

M CD M, Brock7, and Cosine - THANKS!

I knew this was the place to seek answers and true to DetroitYES style - you delivered. Of course there always seems to be more questions than answers for a genealogy researcher. How does one, Frank [[Francis) Fitch lose his job after such a long and productive career?

While I was mapping on google Maps, I came across Engine 41.
    In front, it looks active, but at the intersection, it's all boarded up.
    Was there a fire?
    Did it close and they moved 41?

Found some more stuff regarding Frank Fitch.
    I wonder if "widow" was sometimes used as a euphemism for separated or divorced back then. I found the wife of the man I was looking for listed as his widow while he was in Jackson prison.

Detroit City Directory 1877
    Frank Fitch, burnisher, h 388 Woodbridge east
    George Fitch, bds 388 Woodbridge e.
    Percival B Fitch, clrk, h 388 Woodbridge e.

Detroit City Directory 1879
    Frank Fitch, burnisher Edward Bromley, h 266 Congress e.
    George Fitch, polisher Edward Bromley, bds 266 Congress e.
    Percival B Fitch, clrk D, G H & M Ry, h 266 Congress e.

Detroit City Directory 1885
    Frank Fitch, burnisher, bds 266 Congress east.
    Percival Fitch, checker G T Ry, h 266 Congress e.

Detroit City Directory 1887
    Frank Fitch, pipeman Engine co No 9, bds 266 Congress e.
    Mary E Fitch [[wid Frank H), h75 Adams ave w.
    Percival B Fitch, checker, h 266 Congress east

I don't know if one of these can be him.
    Detroit City Directory 1928
    Frances Fitch, r4462 Brush
    Francis E Fitch, auto wkr h1115 Collingwood av apt 103
    Frank Fitch, h1515 Field av
    Frank R [[Ada E) Fitch, V-Pres Charles W Warren & Co, h1190 Collingwood av, apt 38, Tel Hemlock 5998-J
    I found another photo of the men of Hook & Ladder Co. No. 8. If you look carefully you can see it includes all the same men, so I presume it's also dates from about 1893.

If they're arranged according to rank then I guess that Frank Fitch would would be one of the two guys seated in chairs either side of the Captain.

Full Size Image Here

Here's a photo of the same men posed with their engines in front of the No.8 firehouse, which was the newest one that year - 1893.
    Supposing the guy manning the steering wheel looking thing at the rear at the rear of the carriage to the right is the steersman, that would be Frank Fitch - appears to be the same guy seated in a chair on the right side of the photo above.
    Attachment 6343
    Full Size Image Here
    HOOK AND LADDER COMPANY No. 8.
    Location, corner Dix and Vinewood aves.
    Truck went into service September, 1888. Turn-table aerial truck, built by the Fire Extinguisher Manufacturing Co., Chicago, Ill. Length of main ladder when extended, 100 feet. Carries the following apparatus: One extension ladder 60 foot, one ladder 35 foot, one 30 foot, one 25 foot, one 20 foot, one 14 foot, one 12 foot, one 12-foot extension ladder, and one Pompier Ladder outfit, four Babcock hand fire extinguishers, two ladder forks, six hooks with poles, 200 feet of rope for fire line, 100 feet for life line, four leather buckets, four hook axes, two hay forks, one pair electric wire cutters, crowbar and door opener, jackscrew, shovel, hand saw, rag books and wrenches. Weight when ready for service, 10,200 pounds; drawn by three horses. In connection with this company there is run a single tank, 100 gallons, fourwheel Champion Fire Extinguisher Machine. Equipment of 200 feet of hose, one 12foot Pompier ladder and one hand fire extinguisher. Went into service October 1st, 1891. Weight when ready for service, 3,730 pounds; drawn by two horses. Company organized June, 1893. House erected 1893.
    Drury, Thomas H, 37, 280, Captain, Steamfitter, 270 24th st.
    McKenney, John E, 35, 281, Lieutenant, Driver, 272 Twenty-third
    Fitch, Frank, 35, 282, Steersman, Gold Plater, 496 Baker st.
    Wilkins, Wm. E, 24, 283, Ladderman, Packer, 615 Porter st.
    Konen, Henry, 29, 284, Ladderman, Carpenter, 69 Park ave.
    Gaffney, Charles, 25, 285, Ladderman, Lineman, 645 Vinewood ave.
    Shea, Edward D, 32, 286, Ladderman, Carpenter, 780 Baker st.
    Cilliax, Wm. C, 26, 287, Ladderman, Carpenter, 651 Scotten ave.
    Noyes, Thomas J, 25, 288, Ladderman, Driver, 686 Baker st.
    Egan, Wm., 33, 289, Truck Driver, Driver, 179 Twentieth st.
    Buckendale, A. A, 26, 289A, Chemical Driver, Driver, 570 Campau st.
    May, Martin, 34, W, HouseWatchman, Watchman, 369 Dix ave.
    Here are photos of the houses Frank Fitch was assigned to. Couldn't find a photo of the boathouse, which was also brand new when he was the Captain there.
    Last edited by Brock7; June-06-10 at 02:10 AM.

I think I found some answers about how Frank Fitch lost his job with the DFD and how he ended up. I searched Historic Articles for "Frank Fitch" at the Free Press archives on-line.

There were 29 hits. I only looked at the abstracts as there's a charge to access the full articles. They only show the first sentence or two. Some are probably about Frank R. Fitch the clockmaker. There are a couple of articles that seem to be about about fires or the DFD, but there are also some items that have to do particularly with Frank Fitch the fireman.

Feb 11, 1894 - It's reported that a Lottie Fitch answers to a Frank Fitch's bill for divorce by denying that she deserted him and claiming that he left her.

[[I'd meant to include the following in my previous post, but somehow left it out)
    Detroit City Directory 1895
    Frank Fitch, city fireman, bds 266 Congress e.
    Frank R Fitch, clockmkr Wright, Kay & Co, h 14 Beech
    Percival B Fitch, [[aged 71). died March 24, 1895
    Lottie Fitch [[wid Frank), bds 404 Congress e.
    Jun 29, 1897- There's a report about transfers at the DFD which mentions that Capt. Frank Fitch, of engine company No. 7. was transferred to ladder company No. 6.Which is different than the info given in the annual reports for that year.

Apr 23, 1902 - There's an article titled "FITCH IS OUT, COLLINS SUSPENDED - FIREBOAT DETROITER'S OUTFIT WAS DISAPPEARING". I wonder if he was selling DFD equipment off to obtain enough money to make his alimony payments. Collins was the Lieutenant under Fitch at Co. 25.

Aug 8, 1911 - It looks like he may have gone to work for the Highland Park Fire Department at some point after losing his position at the DFD as there's an article titled "BLOWN TO PIECES BY EXTINGUISHER" that reports that a fireman named Frank Fitch was killed at a fire in Highland Park when some equipment exploded.
    Last edited by Brock7; June-07-10 at 09:33 AM.

Brock7 - you're amazing! Thanks for all the info!
    Frank was married to Lottie Lyndon prior to marrying my g-grandmother. I had no idea the freep had archives online now. I printed the article regarding his "resigning" from the DFD. He was indeed stealing. When Capt. J.E. Quirk was put in charge he began an inventory "of the effects of the boat, and found that two radiators, a porcelain basin, a tow line and about seventy-five feet of the anchor chain were missing." Items had been sold to various junk shops for about $45, of which Frank received about $20. Not much profit for risking your job!

I don't think the Aug. 8, 1911 article regarding a Frank Fitch being "blown to pieces" is the same guy, as we found Frank Fitch working in a rubble plant and living with his niece in a later census record. I did discover that Frank had a brother George who worked for the Detroit Police Department. It appears his marriage and job were both stable, as opposed to his brother Frank's.

Recent threads about other boats got me wondering what the "Detroiter" looked like.

Here's a photo of the Fireboat "Detroiter" from 1901 when Frank Fitch was still the Captain.
    Attachment 6657
    Fireboat "Detroiter" near far bank of River Rouge; log boom in foreground.

Posted by Hornwrecker in the archived Firehouse thread:
    drawing of the Detroiter, first DFD fireboat

History of the Great Lakes Vol.2 1899
    To quote from a pamphlet issue from the Fire Department of Detroit: "Detroit has thirteen complete lines of pipe from high pressure service, the supply coming from the Detroit river through the fire boat Detroiter. To Chief James W. Dickinson, of the Cleveland Fire Department, is due the credit of causing these first permanent pipes to be laid for fire boat service, as he first conceived and adopted such pipes. They showed the great effectiveness of a fire boat on a fire 4,000 feet from their station on the river."
    James Battle1830-1895
    He came...to Detroit at the age of 18 in 1848 as a tinsmith and soon joined the volunteer fire department.He became fireman in 1852. In 1861 he was appointed Chief with 800 men...After his death the Detroit fire boat "Detroiter" was renamed the "James Battle" in his honor.
    Maybe these men are sitting at the Steam Engine Co. No.25 firehouse.
    Attachment 6658
    Detroit firefighters, wearing white hats with short brims. Handwritten on back: "Fireboat, James Battle."

There was quite the fire this hot holiday afternoon on the west side on Parkdale Terrace just north of McGraw. In all probably 10 engines showed up from a variety of engine and ladder companies. 4 adjacent houses burned, 3 empty, 1 occupied. When I figure out how to properly shrink these photos I took I'll try to add them here.

I shrink my photo's is MS paint. I was over by Stephen Foster school today and noticed the two level apartments behind it [[east side) the roofs are caved in and burned. I also stopped into Ladder 42 and the station at Livernois and warren.. I went to the Training tower, but there is no fire rigs there[[ i was told by the captain at Engine 42).

I stopped in over the holiday weekend into Engine 42/Ladder 21 and Engine 34.
    Pic's are towards the bottom of the page linked here, more on page 5

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2520414...281836/?page=4

Excellent pictures! Thanks for taking them, especially the ones of the firehouse interior. You don't see the glazed brick used much anymore.

88th.Detroit Firemen's Fund Field Day.
    Sunday August 15th. Fort Wayne.
    1100 to 1600.
    Free Admission Parking $ 5.00

Maybe this has been posted already, but just in case, here is a project the firefighters are working on. http://www.detroitfire.org/

To all those who put their lives on the line every day - THANK YOU!

Support http://www.detroitfire.org

Here's a photo of the James Battle....although it can't be the same one can it?
    I'm not sure of the fireboat on the rights name, but it seems to fit the Detroiters profile. Is the smaller one the largers successor?

Attachment 6881

This one here, is the James R. Elliot and a peak at the back of the station

Attachment 6882

Did you have the picnic/field day this year?

Dfd: It was a few weeks ago at Fort Wayne. I wasn't able to attend, though.

Fund raiser for the men hurt on Jefferson. See detroitfiremensfund.com for details

|Is it in America also a custom to cherish some old equipment as a mascot? Here in the Netherlands some fire departments keep something alive and kicking. This one is not in the possession of a firehouse but in private hands. It's an American made Ahrens Fox made in 1927. This is one of the seven examples that were ordered by the city of Rotterdam. These trucks must have had some angels working in overtime. As you all know, the city of Rotterdam was bombarded by the forces of Hitler on May 10, 1940.

Of these seven machines that were in the service of the Rotterdam Fire department , an incredible six are still around!!! The last one went into retirement in 1972!! The engine is a 6 cylinder 16500cc gas-powered monster., that's 1006 cubic inches.

The pump on the front has some impressive statistics, even in these days. It still is capable to pump 3750 liters a minute, to all you that would be about a little less than 1000 gallons.

I believe one of these monsters is still in the possesion of the Rotterdam FD. Rotterdam was the only city in Europe that used the Ahrens Fox.

Here's one in use in Detroit. This one did it's work from the corner of Griswold and Clifford.

[[http://cincinnativiews.net)

This one did it's work from the corner of Griswold and Clifford.

..... wait a minute...

Wasn't that the same firehouse from this thread??!!
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-03-10 at 05:42 PM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast