Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Firehouses

Here's a quick shot of engine 54. from today 1-3-10

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    Anyone been buying up the DFD photo's on *bay?
    Here's a few of them that I saved from there
    Can anyone name the locations?
    Gotta love that '62 Chrysler chief's car.

Probably had the legendary 413 V-8 under the hood.

When I was attending Wayne Elementary School [[Lakepointe and Courville) from 1944 to 1951, the school did not allow any students to park their bikes at school except for the safety patrol boys. There was a fire station at Lakepointe and Whittier about a block from the school. The firemen allowed the kids to park their bikes in the back yard of the station and walk the last block to the school. The station had two bays for an engine company pumper and a battalion chief sedan. Damn if I can remember the company or battalion numbers now.

Hemrod, where you parked your bike at Lakepoint and Whittier is the quarters of Engine Co. 58 , established December 1928 and is still in service today

Quote Originally Posted by birwood View Post
    Hemrod, where you parked your bike at Lakepoint and Whittier is the quarters of Engine Co. 58 , established December 1928 and is still in service today
    The "fifties" part of the number does ring a faint bell. Our elementary science teacher, Mr Bachman, took us on a "field trip" to the station one day. We walked up to the station and they let us crawl over the pumper. They showed us their quarters and one of them demonstrated use of the fire pole. In warm weather they always sat around in front of the station and
    traded waves with the kids walking home from school.

I forgot I took this one too last sunday.

Great pictures! Thanks for posting them.

I hate those new lollipop sirens. They just don't have any where near the punch. If they had put the one at 54's on the radio tower at #8 [[background in pictue) and up higher, it would have had better coverage. The ones we have around here out in the sticks are mounted on 30-40' telephone poles and they just don't cover much area at all.

It's engine 30 that has the lowest mounted. It's like mounting it on your 1 story garage. It can't be that effective, except for maybe a few blocks.
    Many are not hooked to power, and the ones on the stations will be removed and pole mounted. So like the one on 54's tower, the pole mount would be lower.
    So weird.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2520414...7612692281836/
    Last edited by M CD M; January-10-10 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added photo

The old sirens, you could hear them miles away, but thanks to the Noise Police and FEMA they forced a change....not to mention some of those units were 40 or 50 yrs old and repair parts were getting hard to get. The Noise Police cited noise pollution, they were too loud, like they did to the old Federal Q sirens we had on the rigs, they could part the Red Sea....ie; Rush Hour Traffic 3 blocks away from an intersection... now they can only emit a certain amount of decibles. We have these rotating cone sirens were I now live, since I've retired....we can hear it loud and clear out on the lake, but in town at the CVS 6 blocks from the local fire hall, you can't hear it especially if a train is going by or the wind is blowing towards the lake.
    The FEMA end part comes ,because they must we able to give a verbal warning or alert to the public as a whole of in a certain area.....if there is an incident on the John Lodge at Clairmount, then the residents in the area at 7 & Greenfield or Jefferson & St Jean doesn't need to get alarmed

well Engine 43 is gone.
    there was a bulldozer driving back & forth over its rubble today

Took this today at Chene and Forest E.

DT, Did you hear about a fire at Cooley High School on Chalfonte today? I caught part of it on the live feed earlier.

I was AT the fire at Cooley [[I work there). My truck is in most of the aerial shots.

I would like to thank DFD for the quick response and the awesome job done by all. I would also like to thank the FFs for taking the time to reassure the kids and for talking with them and answering their questions. It was amazing to see so many trucks respond and the efficiency with which DFD did their jobs. Things could have gotten much worse had it not been for the quick response of all of those involved. Kudos DFD!
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; February-13-10 at 07:41 AM.

I snagged this awesome photo from *bay.
    I think it's a rescue unit. Can anyone confirm?

I think you're right. Here is a link to a picture at detroitfirefighters.net. The rear doors look like the ones in your picture.

http://www.detroitfirefighters.net/i...rstenlager.JPG

Dfd

Last Thursday I stopped in to central maintenance to chat with Hawk [[shop welder guy). And snapped this photo.

Here are photos I took last summer of all of the stations currently in operation. They are shown from oldest to newest.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4124702...7622046521294/

Anyone want to go in with me on a couple of buckets of fire engine red paint and a roller or two? I think I'm going to repaint the doors on the old Engine 27 and Ladder 8 over on Junction south of Vernor. They've been tagged quite a bit and a coat of paint may help brighten the neighborhood....at least till they get tagged again. Shame that building was left so forlornly when the companies moved to Fort Street.....awesome job Detroit, vacate with no plan for occupancy!

There is a picture of E 27 on this link, which is a collection of photos of all of the out-of-service fire houses in the City [[E 43 has since been demolished). E 27 is the 5th picture in the series. Painting the doors of E 27 sounds like a great project, but this weekend might be a little too chilly for it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4124702...7621986174095/

Chuck_MI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    I snagged this awesome photo from *bay.
    I think it's a rescue unit. Can anyone confirm?

Interesting photo. Both of the standing men are carrying Geiger counters and are wearing "lead suits".

Thanks for all the great pictures, especially the ones of the insides of the firehouses and the garage.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast