Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Firehouses

Hybrid View

Excellent pictures! Thanks for taking them, especially the ones of the firehouse interior. You don't see the glazed brick used much anymore.

Stay safe and thank you for your service!

E.43 has a short history.Opened in 1921. Closed in 1983.

Anyone know when the apparatus division starts and stops working during the week?

I drove by this old station today.
    I think someone else has a photo of it, but I don't remember the engine no.
    Is it still a church? or is it a home or empty now?

Engine 40
    Ladder 17

MikeM is correct. The station is at Rosa Parks and LaBelle, about 5 blocks north of Davison. Built in 1919. The units [[Engine 40, Ladder 17) moved to Dexter and Ewald Circle in 1980, which is near Oakman and Livernois.

MikeM,cosine, Sq.5 would be offended that you ignored them.They didn't locate to
    12th. until 1952. M CD M the shop has normal busness hours 8 to 5. Emergency repairman is on duty 24/7.

I don't know if this has been asked before, but do the DFD firehouses get decorated for Christmas?

Last year[[around this time of year) when I stopped in at engine 48, they had a X-mas tree in their eating area.

Anyone been buying up the DFD photo's on *bay?
    Here's a few of them that I saved from there
    Can anyone name the locations?

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    Anyone been buying up the DFD photo's on *bay?
    Here's a few of them that I saved from there
    Can anyone name the locations?
    Gotta love that '62 Chrysler chief's car.

Probably had the legendary 413 V-8 under the hood.

The top one may be Fire Headquarters based on the arched doorway behind the car. Don't know if anyone can pull up that shop number on the car and see when or where it was assigned.

The second is Engine 6, Ladder 5 at Russell & Erskine. For some reason, I seem to remember that FWD.

Can't tell on the third, but somebody might recognize it with the three story porch on the building behind.

Fourth, no way to tell where.

The last is at Headquarters, Washington & Lafayette. Looks like a light rig but I'm not sure I get the loudspeaker.

Meddle & M CD M, the car in the photo is 200's car and is lettered CHIEF between the 5 bugle insignia, shop No is 970.

In photo #3 is Engine 39s old quarters and the area behind it is the old Herman Kiefer Hospital and Sanitorium Complex. If you look close at the photo, there is a Chevy parked behind 39s in the parking lot which stood between the fire quarters and the hospital. Because the car appears to a 60's ish Chevy I'm going to say that is the time frame when part of the old complex is being demolished.

The last photo is the old light rig and it did have a load speaker mounted on the roof....long before the dys of 2 way radios and KQA 205

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

To all the men and women on the DFD: Stay safe out there and have a Merry Christmas!!

After I visited Central Maintenance today, I found this old station along the freeway.

Thats the quarters of Engine Co. 43, E. Davison & Goddard, disbanded and closed during the Coleman Young administration.

When I drove by, the 2nd floor ceiling is in real bad shape.
    Maybe after this winter, the roof may be on the floor.

Here's a quick shot of engine 54. from today 1-3-10

I hate those new lollipop sirens. They just don't have any where near the punch. If they had put the one at 54's on the radio tower at #8 [[background in pictue) and up higher, it would have had better coverage. The ones we have around here out in the sticks are mounted on 30-40' telephone poles and they just don't cover much area at all.

It's engine 30 that has the lowest mounted. It's like mounting it on your 1 story garage. It can't be that effective, except for maybe a few blocks.
    Many are not hooked to power, and the ones on the stations will be removed and pole mounted. So like the one on 54's tower, the pole mount would be lower.
    So weird.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2520414...7612692281836/
    Last edited by M CD M; January-10-10 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added photo

The old sirens, you could hear them miles away, but thanks to the Noise Police and FEMA they forced a change....not to mention some of those units were 40 or 50 yrs old and repair parts were getting hard to get. The Noise Police cited noise pollution, they were too loud, like they did to the old Federal Q sirens we had on the rigs, they could part the Red Sea....ie; Rush Hour Traffic 3 blocks away from an intersection... now they can only emit a certain amount of decibles. We have these rotating cone sirens were I now live, since I've retired....we can hear it loud and clear out on the lake, but in town at the CVS 6 blocks from the local fire hall, you can't hear it especially if a train is going by or the wind is blowing towards the lake.
    The FEMA end part comes ,because they must we able to give a verbal warning or alert to the public as a whole of in a certain area.....if there is an incident on the John Lodge at Clairmount, then the residents in the area at 7 & Greenfield or Jefferson & St Jean doesn't need to get alarmed

well Engine 43 is gone.
    there was a bulldozer driving back & forth over its rubble today

Took this today at Chene and Forest E.

DT, Did you hear about a fire at Cooley High School on Chalfonte today? I caught part of it on the live feed earlier.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast