Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Firehouses

It's been quiet on this thread for the last month. For a trip back to 1911, check out http://www.shorpy.com/node/9462?size=_original

Any ideas which firehouse that might have been? Love the looks on the faces of those old timers!!!!

Oh my! 11 FFs and I see TWO hand held fire extinguishers...that's it. No hoses, no anthing else except a few helmets. Doubt that would cut the mustard today.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    Oh my! 11 FFs and I see TWO hand held fire extinguishers...that's it. No hoses, no anthing else except a few helmets. Doubt that would cut the mustard today.
    Looks like there's a hose wound up behind the driver, and I suspect that's the end of a water tank that can be seen through the spare tire. Wonder if the engine was also a pump mechanism. Anyway, I'd sure love to have that Packard today!

Love that picture! It looks like the helmets say "Engine 30". Speaking of helmets, those are worth a bundle today as well. 1911, I guess that's around when the horses were replaced.

Ah, I see the hose now...but it looks more like a garden hose variety. Still wouldn't cut the mustard today.

World War II caused a massive leap forward in the "state of the art" in fire fighting. The need to fight fires on burning ships and on airfields made most prewar fire equipment obsolete by 1945.

I think I know what the little kid wanted to be when he grew up.

The Squad is a 1908 Packard. E.30 Hastings and Congress . Squads were given Engine company designations.E. 30 became Flying Squadron # 1 in 1918. Detroit was the first Department to use Squads to get extra manpower to a fire scene. No pump.The Packard
    had a chemical tank . Not a fire fighting rig. Strictly manpower. From Matt Lee History of D.F.D. Apparatus and Rick Lancaster History of the D.F.D.

Reading furthur in Lancasters book.1908 the first gas propelled fire vehicle went in service as Flying Squadron Engine30 at Larned and St. Antoine. Crew of 10 responded to all Box alarms from the river to Vernor East and West of the Boulevard. Rick shows it as a six cylinder Packard.

FEO
    Not sure if all of you are aware of the below site. It isDetroit Fire Department firefighting memories that I wrote of your fathers time. I served from 1962 to 1998 so I probably worked with him.
    Enjoy my, his & your memories.
    If you have any questions, post here or email me at wistuff@comcast.net
    http://waynesstuff.weebly.com/

I'll have to check it out! My dad is Norm Smith. You probably did cross paths since he worked during the same years.

Detroit Teacher
    I didn't know your father that well,but from what I did remember, "He was a good person" As we all age, it is good to be remembered as a "good person" Say Hi to your father from me, Wayne P. Isken

Dad is so much more than a good person [[although he's a bit cranky in his older age). He's tons of fun and is the most caring man I know. I have to say, he's the best dad and my hero!

I happened across this video on YouTube a few minutes ago and thought I'd share it:
    " We Can See It " Detroit Fire Department

Uploaded by Dabeat313 on Mar 8, 2011
    A Compilation of photos & video clips my brother & I have gathered over the years buffing Detroit. Enjoy ...

Awesome video! I saw many familiar faces and I think I even saw my dad in one of the shots!

I thought I would say hello to everyone after a long time away, and to post something about the Fire Dept Field Day.

http://detroitfiremensfund.com/index...page=page&id=2

I'll be in Columbus that day but have a great time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dfd View Post
    I thought I would say hello to everyone after a long time away, and to post something about the Fire Dept Field Day.

http://detroitfiremensfund.com/index...page=page&id=2

I'm not sure if the Oakwood Heights firehouse has been posted but here it is. Any history on it?

160 by Zack Blackerby's Detroit, on Flickr

Oakwood Heights?

Where is that?

OK, after some digging since I hadn't heard that term before......

That's Engine 48, Bayside and Sanders; kind of an odd duck. They were the only company down there and before I-75 went in, they would find themselves all alone if the Fort Street drawbridge was up. They had a strange rig called a Quad that was a combination engine and ladder truck, the only one of it's kind in the city back then.

They were not allowed to leave the area and come across the bridge even for maintenance unless a fill-in company was down there to cover for them.

Searching this thread, you should find a lot more information.

The Oakwood Heights fire station I posted a photo of in post #268 has been destroyed by fire. Here is a quick before and after.

158 by Zack Blackerby's Detroit, on Flickr

448 by Zack Blackerby's Detroit, on Flickr

This is a nice website on Detroit Firehouses:

http://detroitfirehouse.com/

The Engine 2 building at Larned and St Antoine was bought a few months back by the UDM Law School. Their plan is to open it as a low-cost legal clinic. No link, but I work nearby and it was in Crain's.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast