Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Firehouses

Remember the members of the DFD with Halloween approaching.

DFD: I was just thinking the same thing! Please be careful out there, ladies and gents!!

Well it's been a little over 4 years since this thread started. Here is how it began:

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1173935391

Default Confusion on Apparatus designations

So ladder 21 is with Engine 42 on Chicago right?? I could have sworn I saw an Engine 21 sitting outside of another station on the east side. I didn't think there was an Engine 21 anymore....or do I need new glasses??

DFD: Thanks for taking me back to the beginning again. Hard to believe it's been 4 years and no harsh words or inthread fighting! Many great memories shared here

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Signal View Post
    So ladder 21 is with Engine 42 on Chicago right?? I could have sworn I saw an Engine 21 sitting outside of another station on the east side. I didn't think there was an Engine 21 anymore....or do I need new glasses??
    Engine 21's apparatus is being used as a spare, Its currently assigned to Engine 23 at the Blvd. and Moran.

I am new to the group and hope I will be welcome. We moved to Detroit one year ago and have started exploring the idea of purchasing a firehouse and converting it for use as a residence. Dan Jasina at Box42 was helpful in getting me a list of closed stations. Most are in deplorable condition. We met the neighbor of E48, who told us what had happened there - the lower level is apparently completely underwater now. However, E27/L8 at Junction and Rogers looks pretty good. I don't want to offend any of the firefighters; in fact, quite the opposite. We thought that a firehouse would be fairly ideal - sleeping quarters, kitchens, showers, and parking space. Can any of you tell me more about E27/L8 when you have a minute?

There's a firehouse -abandoned at Gratiot and Erskine. Lots of nice looking abandoned bldgs there and lots of green space. Is it a bad area?

Has the fire station/church thats abandoned over on Rosa Parks and Labelle Street been discussed? Cool building that I drove by yesterday and had never noticed it before

have started exploring the idea of purchasing a firehouse and converting it for use as a residence
    I couldn't see that. It would be very expensive. They generally have no insulation at all. Many had steam heat off a central system that may not even be working any more. High ceilings, loose fitting single pane windows, old wiring and plumbing. You'd basically have a shell that would need pretty much everything inside re-done.

It might be more viable if you were talking about some sort of commercial venture on the ground floor with living quarters above, but most are in terrible neighborhoods to try and start a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean2026 View Post
    There's a firehouse -abandoned at Gratiot and Erskine. Lots of nice looking abandoned bldgs there and lots of green space. Is it a bad area?

Gratiot & Grandy, Engine 11

Yeah, quite bad.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    Has the fire station/church thats abandoned over on Rosa Parks and Labelle Street been discussed? Cool building that I drove by yesterday and had never noticed it before

Engine 40, Ladder 17

Picture on this old thread: http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1173935391

It might be more viable if you were talking about some sort of commercial venture on the ground floor with living quarters above, but most are in terrible neighborhoods to try and start a business.
    Might I recommend the old Engine/Ladder house on Junction a few blocks south of Holy Redeemer Church? The neighborhood is fairly stable and certainly has the potential for supporting many kinds of local businesses.

That is exactly the one I mentioned.

Look back in this thread. I think that's the one that used to be a Mexican restaurant. Or was that E22 ?

There's one on Michigan Ave [[and the cross street escapes me) that dad wanted to buy a few years back...they wouldn't sell it to him, for some odd reason [[they claimed FF couldn't buy it). It's for sale and looks to be in OK shape for having been empty and sitting for so many years. Dad wanted to open up his store there. I don't know what it looks like on the inside, though. Probably nothing left of the interior.

The old Engine 11 at Gratiot and Grandy is owned by the Phoenix, the association of African-American Detroit firefighters, and they are slowly fixing it up for a headquarters. If you look closely, you can see improvements in the second-floor windows and other spots. Once upon a time, that station was going to be a fire museum.

The old Engine 22 on Michigan, a block or so east of Livernois, was a Spanish restaurant, owned by a family from Spain. I forget the name, but the family lived above the restaurant, which was a lovely restoration job that kept the polished wood and other features of the old firehouse. The venture fell apart after the husband/father/chef -- who was a flamboyant performer in his establishment -- died in an auto accident. The outside of the place looks like hell today. I can't imagine the interior is any better.

The name of the resturant located in the former Engine 22 house was Casa De Espana I belive, and it does look like Hell.

I forget which one it was but there was an abandoned firehouse over on Davison just a few blocks east of the Chrysler Freeway....it came down about a year ago....rumored to have come down without the proper Section 106 approval....

Hi TeresaM, and welcome to the thread. It's been running for over 4 years and has turned into a history book. A lot of first person experiences. Good luck with your venture. I hope you find one with the bells still in place!

Thanks, Dfd. I have been reading the old posts for a couple of weeks and have been delighted to learn of all the warm memories the old-timers and firebrats have. I used to be a history buff [[B.C. - before children), and the firsthand accounts are lots of fun for me to read. I especially love the photos and the stories that the firebrats have told about their parents. We have been here a year now, and it has been so sad and painful to drive around this once-majestic city and see what has become of it. It just boggles the mind that people let this happen. Then again, look at the property taxes here! Yikes!

There is one thing I want to say while I have the floor. These stories have really boosted my respect for the Detroit Fire Department. Thanks so much to any of you out there reading.

Welcom, TeresaM. I agree with Meddle.A fire house for a home is EXPENSIVE.
    Vast open space. Lots of plumbing and electrical. Heat bill out of this world.
    To be practical commercial operation on the ground floor, live above.
    E.27 L.8 Ch.7 one of my favorite quarters. Many fond memories. Real neighborhood fire house.E.11 is beautiful. I can't wait for it to be opened to the public. Detroitteacher ,Dad never told me that story. Interesting. I am sure E.22 is too far gone for restoration .

A warm welcome, TeresaM!! This is probably the friendliest thread on this forum I love telling stories about growing up a firebrat! Helps keep me feeling young[[er). I do believe that FFs from the DFD are probably the hardest working, most dedicated, awesome bunch of guys [[and gals) out there. They are my second family, really...and they are my unsung heroes.

Any of you fire dept. brats have Thanksgiving dinner at the firehouse?

No. Dad has been retired for a while so no more visits for the holidays. We never really did dinner at the station because we'd always have our holidays on dad's day off [[either the day before or the day after). Most of the families that I know did that...which made for a very interesting Christmas [[we'd house hop for 3 days). When we were wee, it was explained to us that Santa knew dad had to go to work on Christmas and he delivered our presents early. We didn's mind. I think our parents did that to keep some sort of normalcy in our lives. Our parents must have been really close, too, because every kid had the same experience.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast