Detroit Swag-o-mania

DetroitYES! has been presented free of charge since 1999 to create a forum of discussion to find answers to the great challenges facing our international metropolis of Detroit and Windsor... but at great expense.

If you enjoy DetroitYES! and would like to support its continuity and further development with a donation, your support would be greatly appreciated.

READ MORE »

New? Join DetroitYES»

DISCUSSING ALL THINGS DETROIT-WINDSOR SINCE 1999

ENJOY DETROITYES?

AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »

Default whatecer happened to Savinos Italian Ice?

I used go to Savinos when he had a small ice cream store at 7 mile nand Middlebelt. Eventually I thought he sold it to Strohs ice cream. It was available for years and I loved it. Is it gone forever or is it still availabel.

Quote Originally Posted by szla View Post
    I used go to Savinos when he had a small ice cream store at 7 mile nand Middlebelt. Eventually I thought he sold it to Strohs ice cream. It was available for years and I loved it. Is it gone forever or is it still availabel.
    Great question. I worked at the Hamtramck Labor Day Festival, mid - 80's for ?Lou? at his booth at the request of a mutual friend. I'd stop into the store on Middle Belt occasionally when in the neighborhood. He had some awfully good ice. I'd like to know what happened to him, also. I believe he was from the east coast. May have returned.

That sorbet was awesome. They even had a Vernors flavored one for awhile. I had a t shirt booth next to Lou's sorbet stand at the Ann Arbor Street Fair years ago. He was a great huckster. He stood out in the middle of the street with a cup of sorbet and yelled "Give your tongue a sleigh ride".