Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Little Mack from 9 Mile to 13 Mile is an obstacle course.
    Not an obstacle course a new gravel road LOL. Do not drive on this so called road if youlike your car.
    So is Frazho from I-94 to Gratiot I was driving in the turn lane to avoid the 2 track ruts in the cement

softailrider, reguarding post #21, Indiana and Ohio have the added benefit of being a "thru state", [[they are part of the interstate freeway system with major arteries for points East, West, and South).

I believe they get additional funds to ensure their freeway system is well maintained for interstate commerce.

We've always been a backwater spur to the U.S. Government. That is why we are a donor state for road repair tax dollars. Our entrenched representatives have the experience but lack the willpower to bring home the bacon for us.

Here in rural west central Minnesota, it isn't a pothole problem, but rather a case of every single seam in the road has heaved slightly upward, resulting in horrible jolting every time you go over one. The "plop and smack" guys do a pretty good job on the potholes, so they aren't an issue right now.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Sorry, I don't buy that one. Drive through Ohio or Indiana. The weather is the same, the roads are better.
    +1 on that

anyone here ever been to iowa? they suffer temperature extremes and swings there that make us look pathetic. yet when you drive a newly paved stretch of road out there, it's like glass. no subtle waves, no irregularities to the pitch. nothing. absolutely smooth as glass, as if no suspension is necessary. i've never driven on a single stretch of fleshly paved road in michigan that could hold a candle to the quality of the roadwork done in iowa. i'm not sure if it's the quality of materials, specs of the build, or the quality of the workers doing the job [[personally i suspect all 3) but roads there are simply better built than anything we have here-by a wide margin.

i do disagree with iowa's use [[or lack thereof) of guardrails-and substitution of those wire and i-beam things in places that truly need guardrails, but that's a completely different conversation...

Thanks for that info G......
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    There are some amazing repairs they can do to allow wheels now.

Not sure how the integrity holds up afterward, but there are a few places around.

Many years ago, I crossed paths with a Don Neubauer out of St. Clair Shores doing 'em. His number is [[586) 445-3160.

Nothin' to it, Zacha!

As for the interstate variances, I'd largely forgotten the fun I used to make for myself driving across the country...a trip I used to take four or five times a year.

Each state has its own character, you can immediately know you've crossed a state line even if you missed the big signs, due the quality of the roads or lack thereof.

And law enforcement practices were curious, too, but I digress.

As for these potholes, having Softailrider part of this discussion reminds me that these may be an inconvenience for 4-wheelers...but death to those on motorcycles.

Michigan is a destination state for many interstate rider-tourists. I wonder if, for all the advertising of our fine state as PURE that we don't quickly become PURE HELL for them.

The damn entry rest area inside the Indiana state line has a nice set of flags which repeat Jenny's mantra...PURE...PURE...PURE. As with all initiatives, it appears this one will have unintended effects.

Yuck. NO cheers on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Sorry, I don't buy that one. Drive through Ohio or Indiana. The weather is the same, the roads are better.
    Ohio's interstates are in much better shape, but the surface streets in Toledo are just as bad as Detroit. Also, Indiana's roads are no better than Michigan's, the toll road need some serious patching.

Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    Ohio's interstates are in much better shape, but the surface streets in Toledo are just as bad as Detroit. Also, Indiana's roads are no better than Michigan's, the toll road need some serious patching.
    Wait? You mean the road that is currently being operated by a private corporation is falling apart? I thought "free market roads" were supposed to be the cure all for the "poorly run and inefficient" road run by public transportation agencies.

How dare you!

Why make a quality road? They know they will get another contract to fix it within a year or two. Making roads to last more than 12 months is bad for business.

The main roads near my house is paved 7 years ago and sign of potholes, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
    Not an obstacle course a new gravel road LOL. Do not drive on this so called road if youlike your car.
    So is Frazho from I-94 to Gratiot I was driving in the turn lane to avoid the 2 track ruts in the cement
    I can second this. That is the worst road I've seen this spring.

Nearby states have the same weather, but not the same weight limits: http://www.agtrans.org/images/Truck_...ght_Limits.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by milt721 View Post
    Nearby states have the same weather, but not the same weight limits: http://www.agtrans.org/images/Truck_...ght_Limits.pdf
    Also, southern Oakland and Macomb are built on what once was an impassible swamp.

It still is that, to some of us.

Chipseal is less expensive than blacktop, and [[depending on the weight load) holds up as well or better. The quality of the chipseal though, like asphalt, depends on the base it's laid on.

As to potholes, in the little town I'm a councilman in, we got lucky in that we repaved all our streets last year as part of a sewer project, and it's a good thing. With the reduction in state [[Washington state) funds, matching or otherwise, our public works budget is next to nothing so if we had a pot hole problem, it would just be temporary patch after temporary patch.

Default They friggin suck...........

Lahser between 6 & 8 mile is HORRIBLE. You actually sit thru a couple of lights tryin to cross 8 mile because of the sink holes. Why can't they at least build them up some so you don't bottom out gettin past them.

They are re-doing parts of Inkster through Dearborn Heights only. I WISH the heck they would do something with the railroad tracks on Inkster between 96 and Plymouth. That is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    They are re-doing parts of Inkster through Dearborn Heights only. I WISH the heck they would do something with the railroad tracks on Inkster between 96 and Plymouth. That is just ridiculous.
    Unfortunately RR tracks need the approval of the RR owners of which never want anything done within their right of way [[ROW) without some kind of kickback or worse. It can take years to do an even simple repair within a RR ROW. Best bet is for someone to sue the RR for damages and win.

loud and crowded. I'm living near the expressway

Aforementioned Little Mack is being kinda fixed now. They ground down the concrete road half of its thickness, then put down a layer of tar paper type material, and are now laying down new cement half the thickness of the road to make up for what was scraped away.

Is this some new and improved way to fix roads? Or just some half ass fix with tax money to help Kip become Mayor of SCS?

By the way, roads at 20 Mile and Above, and bridges on 696 West of Southfield are simply amazing. Bridges with intricate brickwork and design and colored concrete... very swanky.

Meanwhile, on I-94 running through Detroit most of the bridges look rusted and eroded enough to fall on your car if you stop under them during rush hour.

What gives? Not the same road funds?

Sure don't miss those Michigan roads one bit. Roads here in Nevada are just beautiful. No pot holes, no cracks, and so on, thanks to no freeze/thaw/rain/snow/salt at all.

They just repaved a couple of roads out my way that had absolutely nothing wrong with them to start with. Got some Fed money and had to spend it on roads somehow.

I have noticed some cracks/future potholes on the new sections of Telegragh.51 million well spent.

East Detroit... a couple of points...

I too noticed that they scraped away the top 1/2 of the cement road surface of Little Mack... and are recementing over it. Can't recall that was ever done before. But I guess it's better than putting asphalt over the existing roadway so that in 2 years it'll be another pot hole demolition derby.

As for the I-94 bridges in Detroit... all the bridges west of I-96 and east of Conner have been rebuilt. The only work on those bridges between I-96 and Conner has been repairs and some roadbed rebuilding.

Until the final decision has been made whether or not to rebuild [[into 4 lanes) the I-96 to Conner section of I-94, no new bridges will replace the existing ones... except in emergency situations.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    By the way, roads at 20 Mile and Above, and bridges on 696 West of Southfield are simply amazing. Bridges with intricate brickwork and design and colored concrete... very swanky.

Meanwhile, on I-94 running through Detroit most of the bridges look rusted and eroded enough to fall on your car if you stop under them during rush hour.

What gives? Not the same road funds?
    That fix is coming. Unfortunately, it is going to cost a fortune.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast