Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Detroit is also stuck caring for probably 85% of the region's poor, disabled, felons, ex-felons and homeless and being rewarded with obscenely high insurance rates for that service.

I don't seen anyone lining up take any of those over either.
    What per cent of the area poor, disabled, felons, ex-felons, and homeless are generated by Detroit? What per cent are generated elsewhere and moved to Detroit? Should Detroit take care of their own?

I would think that Florida and California would have more of a case to complain about having to take care of others' homeless problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    What per cent of the area poor, disabled, felons, ex-felons, and homeless are generated by Detroit? What per cent are generated elsewhere and moved to Detroit? Should Detroit take care of their own?

I would think that Florida and California would have more of a case to complain about having to take care of others' homeless problems.
    A lot of communities in the metro area have no support system for the homeless or mentally ill, Engler made sure about the latter. Therefore, Detroit becomes the destination for those that have never lived in Detroit, but, have nowhere else to go. A lot of neighboring cities transport their citizens that are unable to care for themselves to Detroit and just leave them there.

Joanne Watson is a racist. Luckily she was barely re-elected and may be out at the next election. She panders to the racist element of the city to assure re-election. City Council finally has some brain power on board with some members that appear to be willing to work toward betterment of the city and toward adopting a vision of Detroit, etc. she is becoming less relevant and may be sounding off to make a name for herself since she rarely proposes or supports anything positive. She is the last stalwart of us-vs-them mentality on the council from what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Joanne Watson is a racist. Luckily she was barely re-elected and may be out at the next election. She panders to the racist element of the city to assure re-election. City Council finally has some brain power on board with some members that appear to be willing to work toward betterment of the city and toward adopting a vision of Detroit, etc. she is becoming less relevant and may be sounding off to make a name for herself since she rarely proposes or supports anything positive. She is the last stalwart of us-vs-them mentality on the council from what I see.
    I have to agree with this. Watson is a relic of the old days when there was opposing sides along 8Mile. People like Watson have to realize that the Legislature and the governorship is controlled by Republicans. For years, Republican lawmakers from outside Detroit have tried to pass bills to take the water from the city and the only thing that has stopped a takeover was a reluctant governor. They have the numbers and the Detroit Democrats couldn't do a thing to stop it. I don't think Snyder wants to take the water from Detroit but Bing had to do something to prevent the question of control from falling in Snyder's lap.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    I agree with most of what you said. The problem is that while the new members of Council are considered more professional in their conduct, their wimps. They don't fight for anything, pull petty antics like they did with police headquarters and have accomplished nothing of any substance. It's a good thing that we can follow the meetings on a computer, because they aren't even strong enough to stay on TV. The mayor punked them good on that one. Which may not be completely bad depending on one's point of view.

If the rest of the Council doesn't respond stronger to the legislation that's targeting Detroit, not only will Joann Watson get re-elected, she'll probably move up in the ranks and bring in a few more just like her back on. If she acquires a few more allies, she'll also acquire Ken Cockrel's wishy washy support. Everyone knows that he votes with the pack and can't make decisions for himself.

For far as I know Detroit built the water system over 160 years ago, it transports water to developing suburbs and Detroit has total control over the water system just like other U.S. cities. The suburbs don't have the right to control city's water. It's rediculous and repugnant! This is the urban effects when white middle class folks move their families and businesses to the suburbs because they can't get along with the black folks and other ethnic folks migrating next door. [[Don't mean to play race cards, but I have to.) The water debaucle between Detroit and suburbs has turned into a urban war. There's one mostly black church in Detroit protesting against suburban control of water system. There's going to be protesters marching into the City-County Building holding up pickets signs saying "KEEP OUT WATER IN DETROIT!" Let's hope Mayor Bing doesn't sell our water to suburbs for its going to be WAR! if he does.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

Because Detroit flows the water and Detroit controls it forever!

Neda, I miss you so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2