Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 340 of 481 FirstFirst ... 240 290 330 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 350 390 440 ... LastLast
Results 8,476 to 8,500 of 12010

Thread: Thom Hartmann

Default Have Ordinary Americans Carried Out Inhumane Acts for Trump? [[w/Guest Chris Edelson)

Thom talks with Chris Edelson about the current steady creep of authoritarianism in the US [[including the recent Muslim ban) and parallels to Hitler's Germany.

Chris Edelson [[Assistant Professor of Government and Director - Politics, Policy, & Law [[PPL) Scholars Program at American University ...)

Default Everybody Is Coming Together Out of Their Silos for Change [[w/Guest Eve Ensler)

Thom talks with feminist, activist, and playwright Eve Ensler [[The Vagina Monologues) about a new organization to end violence against women, and the broader activism movement happening now in opposition to serious problems in the current US government.

Default Rolling Down the Road to Fascism in Trumpland [[and Hitler's Big Lie)

Total duration 17 minutes:
    Thom talks about the insidious republican force currently suppressing democracy in our voting system, Trump's communications on it, and parallels to Hitler's strategy to accumulate power in the 1930's.

Default The Battle for Standing Rock Between Ancient and Modern Cultures [[Part 1)

Thom talks about the extreme measures being taken to ensure the completion of the Dakota Access Pipeline, including the mutilation and disfigurement of water protectors, and how it relates to the clash of ancient, wise cultures and modern, arrogant ones.
    Deborah MacKay:

I have returned from Standing Rock with my mind blown, my heart broken and my spirit troubled with foreboding of a deepening tragedy. Volunteering as a legal observer with the Water Protector Legal Collective I witnessed several confrontations between Water Protectors [[WP) and law enforcement: national guard, sheriffs and private security [[LE).

On 1/18/17 - 1/19/17 I observed WP with their hands in the air chanting “hands up don’t shoot” being fired upon at a range of 10 to 15 feet. Tear gas canisters and rubber bullets [[ rubber bullets are regular bullets covered in rubber) were used against unarmed WP who had been singing and praying. I observed national guard chasing WP off the Backwater bridge, firing at people running away. I heard people choking and gagging from tear gas. I saw access to the WP medic vehicles being blocked. I spoke with medics and WP who described bullets penetrating flesh and causing terrible injuries, including to one media person who nearly lost his finger when his camera was targeted.

I talked with a media person and was told of 4 media people on the bridge that night, 3 had their recording devices shot and the 4th, his hand. I saw a photo of a sheriff aiming a rifle directly at a media woman who was standing apart from the crowd. I heard testimony of the back of the medic pickup truck being awash in blood after evacuating wounded. I watched, and then, inadvertently became a part of, WP being forced off the bridge by national guard who were hiding behind WP vehicles parked along the road and firing rubber bullets at fleeing people. Many people were shot in the back, the neck, the head. When LE fired at people at close range, many were shot in the genitals or in the face. I received information about DAPL security breaching the short wave radio channels of the WP with taunts such as ”come out and fight like men you faggots or we will come to Camp and fuck your women.”

There are some young warriors, who, without the support of their elders, many who want the camps cleared to mitigate the economic and social damage being suffered by the local community in having the bridge closed, have vowed to not leave the camps or to let the last section of pipeline be built.

Driving away from the area on Monday I saw a convoy of construction vehicles heading to the drill pad. Last night an indigenous website live streamed reports of drilling and construction noises coming from the drill pad.

Without the eyes of a free press these attacks and trespasses continue, with the human rights and sovereignty of indigenous peoples denied. The UN Committee on Transnational Corporations and Human Right Abuses was in Standing Rock this week to take testimony of the many transgressions against people: crop dusters spraying poison pesticides and fertilizers on the camps; hair samples indicating the presence of these chemicals; people who have been injured, beat up, arrested, strip searched; media and medics being targeted by snipers; [[one medic told me he stopped wearing his Red Cross vest due to medics being targeted); praying people being attacked and the refusal of DAPL and our government to abide by the Rule of Law.

The vets who came in Dec to stand down against these crimes need to be on the ground there now, right now. We need to stand up for our brothers and our sisters, for their way of life and, I believe, for our social contract as a democracy which is now threatened. Please share this so word gets out what is happening, thank you.

Deborah MacKay

Default Do Humans Belong to the World, or Does It Belong to Us? [[Part 2)

Total duration 15 minutes:
    Thom delves deeper into the contrast between ancient cultures and younger cultures, and how that relates to Standing Rock, pollution, conservation, greed, and many other issues of our time. Are we throwing away 50,000 years of experience for a quick profit?

Default Women Are Just Toaster Ovens for Babies. Right?

Thom talks about the outdated and misogynistic homunculus theory, while republican politicians may be clinging to similarly patriarchal concepts to what people thought 400 years ago.

Default Caller Just Discovered She's a Toaster

Thom talks to a caller shocked to learn she's just a "host" for other human life. Another caller wonders when the pro life crowd will try to outlaw "loving yourself" to prevent the senseless waste of human life.

There's something kind of sexy about the whole toaster moniker, though.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    There's something kind of sexy about the whole toaster moniker, though.
    This calls for a Google image search. You know it's going to find something. But what?

Default Shouldn't We Have a Carbon Tax AND Regulation? [[w/Guest Charles Komanoff)

Thom speaks with Charles Komanoff about a republican plan that would institute a carbon tax on companies, in exchange for significantly reducing or eliminating current environmental regulations. But why not do both?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    This calls for a Google image search. You know it's going to find something. But what?
    Yes, that's it!

Default "What Fresh Hell Will I Experience Today?" [[w/Guest Dr. Deborah Stokes)

Thom sits down with therapist Deborah Stokes, PhD to talk about neurofeedback therapy, as well as the types of mental and emotional stresses people have been under since the inauguration and indeed starting during the contentious campaign as well.

Default "People Need Health Care, Not Health Insurance" [[w/Guest Charles Sauer)

Thom talks with Charles Sauer [[Economist, President - The Market Institute) about the stark difference in life expectancies between blue and red states, and debate strategies for bringing the red states up to par and causes for why they aren't.

Thom speaks with Dan Miller [[Managing Director, The Roda Group) about the benefits of a "fee and dividend" system for carbon emissions where citizens could get paid the more fossil fuels are extracted. But, would it be at the expense of important regulations on polluters?

Default Is It Possible to Have a Reasonable Discussion with Conservatives?

Thom talks with a caller who had a surprisingly pleasant experience talking to his republican congressman at a town hall style event.

Default Are Psychiatrists Breaking Their Silence on Trump?

Thom talks with a caller about the pros and cons of Trump vs Pence, and mental health professionals weighing in on Trump's fitness to be president.

Default Why do politicians ignore their Constituents? That's you by the way!

Thom talks with Congressman Mark Pocan [[D-WI, 2nd District) about the news of the day and especially the current goings on with congress and the Trump administration.

Default How Can We Get Things Done if Republicans Are Unresponsive? [[w/Guest Mark Pocan)

Total duration 17 minutes:
    Thom and Congressman Mark Pocan [[D-WI, 2nd District) take calls on a variety of important issues and current events.

Calls included voter suppression, healthcare, pensions, veterans an seniors, Obamacare and the Affordable care.Act

Default Trump's Cabinet Does Not Represent You - On Purpose [[w/Guest Mark Pocan)

Thom and Congressman Mark Pocan hear concerns and suggestions from callers on a range of topics including taxing churches, gerrymandering, budget reconciliation, and ecological concerns.

Default Trump Denigrating Office of the Presidency & Flat Out Lying [[w/Guest John W. Dean)

Thom chats with John W. Dean about how Trump is running his authoritarian presidency like he's still on the campaign trail and ignoring a huge amount of the country.

John W. Dean, Author, Conservatives Without Conscience, Lecturer, and Columnist with Justia as well as former Nixon White House Counsel)

Default Minutes After Press Conference, Trump Emails Supporters to Discredit Media

Total duration 16 minutes:
    Thom covers Trump's press conference from the day before, and details the elaborate planning that went into it and the true intention behind it.

Default Caller: "Where Is the News!?"

Thom talks with a caller about the failure of the media to put the truth first and profits second, and she proposes a bill to hold them accountable. Thom reveals we used to have something like that called the Fairness Doctrine.

Default Will Trump Use Liberal Protests as an Excuse to Clamp Down on Free Speech?

Thom chats with a caller about things to watch out for if you want to protest Trump, and measures the administration might take to maintain power and control over the people.

Default 2020 Is Important, but what about the Midterm Elections in 2018? Act now!

Thom talks with a caller about what we can do to swing the country back to the left in 2020, but also the key importance of the midterm elections in 2018, less than two years away.

Default FDR: "Government by Organized Money is Just as Dangerous as by Organized Mob"

Thom plays some short clips of speeches by Franklin Delano Roosevelt on Presidents Day, and draws parallels to the corporate takeover by republicans we're currently undergoing, and the policies that lead to the Great Depression.