Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Yes, that is the "flying nun" structure, I made sure to capture that before it was harvested.
    Wow - so that IS it! Thanks for capturing the memory.

Wonder if anyone out there has a picture of it in its clean original state when it was still the front of the building and before it was ever covered over with the "new" wing in the '70s. Now THAT would be a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    In the picture with the blue vehicle and the "greenhouse" writing on the building, the curved architectural feature looks almost like it could be the remains of the one I was talking about in my earlier post in this thread. If so, it's smaller and shorter than I remember it!
    Here's the "Greenhouse" writing before the demo. Was still a decent looking building only three years ago when this picture was taken.

Bigger version.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; March-29-11 at 01:57 PM.

09/25/2011
    Construction on the New Finney High
    Name:  _Finny-HS-9-25-2011.jpg
Views: 4835
Size:  47.4 KB

It looks to me as though Finney is expanding into the former Cannon Rec Center Building land that was also demolished. So the DPS got some land from the city of Detroit?
    Last edited by Gistok; September-26-11 at 01:07 PM.

Great pic, FlyByDon! You caught the house I grew up in down in the lower left corner, corner house at Harvard and Frankfurt [[right side of the intersection X). Used to go to Cannon Rec Center as a kid, swam at the pool at the other end. Big band concerts and carnivals in Cannon's parking lot...

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    It amazes me the Finney is being razed but Denby, a much older school, is being renovated.Finney is or was more modern. When a person such as Robert Bobb, an outsider, is allowed to have control over which school should be razed and which should be restore decisions like this are usually made Bobb doesn't have the history of Detroit of it's schools.
    Ok, an outsider made the decision to raze Finney and you think Denby should have gone instead because it was older... Perhaps it is a good thing an outsider made this decision if an alleged insider doesn't know that Denby is a historical structure, if only because of the architectural sculptures on it's facade by Corrado Parducci. You even go so far as to cite history... I have to ask: have you even heard of Corrado Parducci?

Finney High School 10-29-2011

Name:  _GLA0055.jpg
Views: 4600
Size:  64.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Ok, an outsider made the decision to raze Finney and you think Denby should have gone instead because it was older... Perhaps it is a good thing an outsider made this decision if an alleged insider doesn't know that Denby is a historical structure, if only because of the architectural sculptures on it's facade by Corrado Parducci. You even go so far as to cite history... I have to ask: have you even heard of Corrado Parducci?
    You make a very good point...too many of our historical have already been demolished...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3